The undated photograph above shows the sleeping hut for Clement Wragge’s meteorological observatory.
Located on the summit of kunanyi / Mount Wellington, it was built in 1895.
There was no road to the summit at the time, so local meteorologists Arthur Wherrett and Henry Kingsmill (both of whom appear in the photograph) had to trudge up the mountain on foot.
They slept in this hut while making observations.
The hut and observatory burned down in 1909. Their remains still exist today.
Clement Wragge was a noted meteorologist who lived between 1852 and 1922.
- ‘Wragge’s Observatories’ (Enshrine).
- ‘Wragge, Clement Lindley (1852–1922)’ (Australian Dictionary of Biography).
* * * *
Tas That Was is a column that includes:
- anecdotes of life in Tasmania in the past;
- historical photographs of locations in Tasmania; and/or
- documentaries about locations in Tasmania.
If you have an anecdote or photograph you’d like to share with us, please send it to [email protected].