We are in the process of establishing a totally independent non-profit association to create and promote digital and other media in Tasmania.
The Tas Indy Media association will manage the existing Tasmanian Times website, but will also be a platform for many other things.
Exactly what those projects are is to be determined by the membership and their collective interests, skills and resources. Tas Indy Media will be a means of collaboration, with a legal structure that allows for accountability, legal protection and ongoing stability.
There’s more detail on the objects and purposes further down, but for now we’d like to cut to the chase:
We would like you to join us!
1. At the stage we are seeking expressions of interest from prospective members. This form doesn’t make you a member or commit you to being a member, it just adds you to our list. It’s like an honour roll of independent media hero wannabes, except you don’t have to be dead.
Please fill out the short and easy form at the bottom of the page with your details. Go on, you’ve wrestled with the census so this will be a cinch.
2. When we’re ready to call a meeting to form the association, we’ll get in touch.
It will be a hybrid real life + video meeting. This meeting of founding members will establish the association by adopting a constitution and then away we go.
Objects & Purposes of the Association
The objects and purposes of the Association, Tas Indy Media, consist of the following:
- the provision of news, commentary, photography and other information services for the people of Tasmania using a range of technologies and media, thus reflecting the cultural diversity of the state;
- the delivery of training relevant to media arts and community cultural development in Tasmania;
- the encouragement and development of not-for-profit independent media practice in Tasmania;
- the support of cultural institutions and events relevant to Tasmania;
- the purchase, taking on lease or in exchange, hire or other acquisition of any real or personal property necessary or convenient for any of the objects or purposes of the Association;
- the purchase, sale or supply of, or other dealing in, goods;
- the construction, maintenance or alteration of any building or works necessary or convenient for any of the objects or purposes of the Association;
- the acceptance of a gift for any of the objects or purposes of the Association;
- the taking of any step the committee, or the members of the Association at a general meeting, determine expedient for the purpose of procuring contributions to the funds of the Association;
- the digital or physical printing or publication of any newspaper, periodical, book, leaflet or other document the committee, or the members of the Association at a general meeting, determine desirable for the promotion of any of the objects or purposes of the Association;
- the borrowing and raising of money in any manner and on terms – i) the committee thinks fit; or ii) approved or directed by resolution passed at a general meeting;
- subject to the provisions of the Trustee Act 1898, the investment, in any manner the committee determines, of any money of the Association not immediately required for any of the objects or purposes of the Association;
- the making of a gift, subscription or donation to any of the funds, authorities or institutions to which section 78A of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 of the Commonwealth relates;
- the establishment and support, or aiding in the establishment and support, of associations, institutions, funds, trusts, schemes or conveniences calculated to benefit employees or past employees of the Association and their dependants, and the granting of pensions, allowances or other benefits to employees or past employees of the Association and their dependants, and the making of payments towards insurance in relation to any of those purposes;
- the establishment and support, or aiding in the establishment or support, of any other association formed for any of the basic objects of the Association;
- the purchase, or acquisition, and the undertaking of all or part of the property, assets, liabilities or engagements of any association with which the Association is amalgamated in accordance with the provisions of the Act and the rules of the Association;
- the doing of any lawful thing incidental or conducive to the attainment of the objects or purposes of the Association.
August 31, 2021 at 1:08 pm
Please pardon the pedantry, but Object 13 might need rewording.
Gifts and donations are now covered by Division 30 of the Income Tax Assessment Act, 1997