Lindisfern Bay

This poem was first published by Hobart Town Gazette and Van Diemen’s Land Advertiser on Friday, 17th June 1825. The author is unknown.

The splendor of morning illumined the sky,
And yon mountain* had caught the bright ray,
Fiil’d with rapture and love, & with heart-beating high,
The bridegroom left Lindisfern Bay.
Now sparkles the wave, and spreads the white sail,
Derwent stream bears the bark swift away,
Ah ! swifter she’d carry (could wishes prevail)
The bridegroom of Lindisfern Bay.
The youth leaps on shore, and hies to the fair,
All lovely in bridal array,
The Priest joins their hands and offers a prayer,
For the lovers of Lindisfern Bay.
From the altar attend the fair virgin train,
To deck with sweet flowers the way;
On the beach bid adieu and ne’er see again
The lovers of Lindisfern Bay.
And now they embark, again spread the sail,
But when shall they land well a day!
The squall comes resistless, death breathes in the gale
As they enter sweet Lindisfern Bay.
They’re gone! and for ever, the cold briny wave
Dash’d the hopes of the morning away,
They lov’d, were united, and lie in one grave,
The lovers of Lindisfern Bay!

* Mount Wellington.

“Lindisfern Bay”. Hobart Town Gazette and Van Diemen’s Land Advertiser (Tas. : 1821 – 1825), 17th June 1825, page 3. Retrieved 19th December 2019, from https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/232997928.


A brief history of Lindisfarne

Indigenous people lived in the area at the time of European arrival and settlement and had done so for a long time.

The suburban settlement of the land now known as Lindisfarne was commenced by a man named Hezekiah Harrison in 1823 as Hobart expanded. The first person to live in Lindisfarne as a commuter was John Price, who is well-known for serving as Commandant of Norfolk Island between 1846 and 1853.

The majority of present-day Lindisfarne was purchased for subdivision by the Beltana Land Company in 1890. Matthew Wilkes Simmons, one of the Beltana Land Company’s directors, named the new suburb ‘Beltana’ (the Aboriginal word for ‘running water’) as a reference to its frontage on the Derwent River.

Beltana, with its fresh sea air and distance from the noise and smell of the city, was promoted as a healthy place to live. Regattas and charity events were regularly held at the picnic grounds.

In 1904, the suburb was renamed ‘Lindisfarne’ to avoid confusion with the South Australian town of the same name. The spelling used in this poem was probably influenced by Lindisferne House, a stately property built in Rosny in the 1800s.


Poet’s Corner is a quaint and quirky section of The Tasmanian Times. It has been designed to offer a haven to those who relish and immerse themselves in the sheer joy and pleasure emanating from English verse. Poems range from those published in Tasmania during the early years of British arrival to modern work by living Tasmanians.

We would also like you to share your poetry with us. Submissions can be sent to arts@tasmaniantimes.com. Please see www.tasmaniantimes.com/contact for general submission guidelines.