Now and then, there are stunning pieces of journalism that renews faith in the craft. Here’s a great, recent example, reporting by Melbourne-based journalist Christine Kenneally in Buzzfeed News, on extraordinary abuse at a US orphanage.
My recent work:
– Interview on US news program The Real News Network on Blackwater founder Erik Prince and his desire to privatise the war in Afghanistan.
– Al Jazeera made a documentary about the US Israel lobby but refused to screen it due to pressure from pro-Israel interest groups. It’s a fine documentary, I saw a preview copy, and I reviewed it for the Israel/Palestine news website, +972 magazine. The full version of the film has just been leaked.
– During this year’s Sydney Writer’s Festival, I interviewed UK writer Johann Hari about his work on depression and anxiety. It was a full house and the audio of the event is now available.
– Interview on US news program The Real News Network on the UAE hiring a US/Israeli mercenary company to work in Yemen.
– Interview on US radio station, Loud and Clear, on the real-life effects of disaster capitalism during and after a natural disaster.
– Interview in US magazine Ark Republic on how companies are making money from natural disasters including in Puerto Rico. AKA Disaster capitalism.
– My Disaster Capitalism documentary is still screening around the world including at the prestigious ICA London, in Helsinki, Finland and Australia. Full screenings details here.
– Airlines are complicit in deporting refugees to danger. The Australasian Centre for Corporate Responsibility is targeting Qantas and Virgin to stop the practice. I signed a statement backing this campaign.
– Donald Trump was planning to visit Australia in November. Many Australians weren’t happy and signed a statement in opposition.
– Since being based in Jerusalem this year, I’ve been photographing elements of the Israeli occupation of Palestine and posting them on Instagram. My photographs are from Hebron, the Jordan Valley and East Jerusalem.
– US magazine Public Books has a long essay by academic Tom Winterbottom on how different writers tackle disaster capitalism. It features Naomi Klein, George Monbiot and me. The section on my work revolves around my book, Disaster Capitalism: Making A Killing Out Of Catastrophe, and my film, Disaster Capitalism.
– I’ve nearly finished writing my new book on the global “war on drugs” (out in late 2019), and it features in-depth reporting from the US, Honduras, Philippines, West Africa, Australia, Britain and beyond. What does the drug war look like in the age of Trump?
Thanks for reading.
Until next time.
Read more here