At long last! We’re shutting down for a month to upgrade …

At last! After many false starts, Tassie Times has found a tech who is able to perform the upgrade to become mobile friendly. There’s so many archives – a decade’s worth at least – it’ll take that long. You’ll still be able to comment, apart from the time of migration. Thankyou LN, JBH, PJG, In the Loop, KR, Anon, NJS, JC, Anon for your regular incredible support of Tasmanian Times. Could not do it without you …

In case you want to contact Andrew the Tech, here are his details …

image

Here’s Andrew Grierson’s contact details: andrew@pixelkey.com.au . His website is: www.pixelkey.com.au

Ex-tech Andrew Preece has been our expert on Expression Engine. He’s been so enormously helpful over many years. He’s moved on to networking and security challenges. He can be contacted here: https://www.aandcp.com/

*Lindsay Tuffin has been a journo since 1969, mainly in Tassie apart from a couple of years wandering around Oz and a few years in Pomland where he edited ‘Buzz’, a fundamentalist magazine dealing with church and social issues (beaten in audit circulation only by Aero Modeller magazine!); and a stint as a Uni chaplain back in Tassie.

1. Linz!x

September 8, 2018 at 11:30 am

Thankyou Rob and Michaelia for your kind gift … and thankyou for every kind gift from incredibly generous readers…. thankyou … Linz!x

2. Lynne Newington

September 8, 2018 at 1:01 am

#12 and #14 … Let’s just hope he doesn’t start getting messages from God.

We’re fed up with those who believe they have right of way that even our Catholic high court judges et al submit to, seeking forgiveness for their sins.

If that doesn’t invoke power I don’t know what does.

3. Rob Halton

September 7, 2018 at 4:54 am

#12 … There would have been darkness cast upon us if Scomo had not have won the Prime Ministership over Dutton.

Scomo has already made his intentions clear. He is a socialist. Religious? Yes, and not afraid to say so, far different to those stoic beliefs of Abbott and Abetz .. thank God.

Scomo could be the king maker for a fair go, something the nation has nor seen in a long time.

As Treasurer he was, and still is, engaged somewhat like the standard of past treasurer Peter Costello who could explain his role with detail.

Scomo is a firm believer in the importance of small business to drive the economy and to rebuild momentum. On top of that he needs to reunite the party within. He deserves to achieve that too, in a short space of time.

I hope that he will rebuild public confidence too, as he by now would be up to date with tackling Shorten’s repetitious soap box operas!

4. Ted Mead

September 7, 2018 at 3:00 am

#12 … That guardian article is indicative to why Australian politics is in a deep, delusional rut. I’m surprised the Guardian actually published it.

It seems we, as Australian sheep, need to hit rock bottom before we can think of moving up.

The only question remains is how deep that trench will become!

5. Lynne Newington

September 7, 2018 at 12:07 am

#9 … This reprieve has missed the dire warning that a coming darkness will be upon us if “Scomo!X” doesn’t win the next election: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/sep/07/darkness-coming-if-scott-morrison-not-re-elected-pentecostal-leader-claims

And the red herring priests must report abuse. From past experience, forewarned is forearmed in my opinion. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-07/priests-to-be-required-to-report-abuse-revealed-in-confession/10212986

6. Geoffrey Swan

September 6, 2018 at 6:45 pm

#10 … Greetings, Robin.

Rivers Edge Camping ground is just about all back on deck … about 200+ locals and volunteers got together over two days and we achieved wonders. There is a huge mountain of debris ready for a large bonfire and they have been carting numerous loads of woodchips and gravel to repair roads and garden beds. Because they are a business situated on the river they could not insure it, so it has been a big setback for them. But it is a wonderful part of the world to camp, and they will be busy again soon.

We lost 150 metres of new fencing, wooden outdoor furniture, swing seat, drop saw, chain saw, 44 gallon drums, animal feeder troughs and a whole bunch of building materials. RACT insurance came to the party with most of our losses …and we now have a new vermin-proof fence that has been constructed so much better than my previous effort.

This week we are seeing some sunshine, and now that the Russell River is well cleaned up following the flooding, that is, no downstream algae from the fish farm as yet.

Life ain’t too bad in downtown Lonnavale.

An offer of a cup of tea still stands if you are out trekking this way.

7. Rob Halton

September 6, 2018 at 3:35 pm

#6 … Geoffrey, good to hear from you, too.

Yes, I am still in action, a notch down from previous months but nevertheless I hope to strike out for a day trip to Wylds Crag for my 72nd birthday during Hobart Show week. Luckily I still have strong walking ability, but with limited scrambling capability.

How are the Russell river camping grounds owners going to re-establish after the 50-100 year flood they copped during winter? Did you suffer any damage on your property nearby?

Kind regards from RCH

8. Lynne Newington

September 6, 2018 at 11:25 am

I’m sure there are many who are happy with this reprieve, albeit only a short one.

9. Geoffrey Swan

September 6, 2018 at 3:07 am

#7 … I wish I had said those words, Emmanuel. Very profound, and so true.

10. Emmanuel Goldstein

September 6, 2018 at 1:29 am

A day without Tasmanian Times is like night …

11. Geoffrey Swan

September 6, 2018 at 1:28 am

#4 … Good to hear from you, RCH. Good to know you are not six feet under … given TT is temporarily out of action … (smiley face).

I am a youngster compared to yourself, but one in need of a knee replacement. My orthopaedic surgeon a couple of years back said “Come and see me when you are half your body weight, and 90 years old … and you are female.” “My perfect patient”, he told me.

My reply was … “I can assure you at least one of those things ain’t going to happen!”

#5 … I am guessing Chris, that you are not wanting to be of today’s young generation.

12. Chris

September 5, 2018 at 10:10 pm

Rob, and Linz …

Getting old sure as hell beats the alternative …

13. Rob Halton

September 5, 2018 at 10:02 am

Lyndsay,
    Wife and I cannot figure out how to actually get the donate site to work to pass on my $100 donation for which I promised you last week.

We both had health issues with shoulder ligaments in the past week so our focus was on our own affairs, its a bastard getting older isnt it, we may have to change our swimming strokes and just enjoying floating.

How is your exercise regime going at Waverely Park!

Linz!x: Thankyou kind Rob for your donation. You can do a direct transfer: ‘Donate’ is in the top navigation bar: Here’s the dets Rob … EFT Details:
    BSB: 067-000
    Account Number: 10660173
    Account Name: Tasmaniantimes Pty Ltd

Getting older is wondrous … if yuh keep fit … about to head out on my gravel bike to do the Darwin Trail.

Thank you guyzzzzz for your most kind donation. And I know geoffrey!!!!X We’ll be back … we never give in!x

14. Geoffrey Swan

September 4, 2018 at 5:30 pm

I did not realise how much TT is a part of my life until we no longer have it updated on a daily basis … well, I did actually, I just want Linz to know we are missing TT!

15. William Boeder

August 31, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Excellent Lindsay … a new supermodel of Tasmanian Times. Go get ’em matey.

16. Christopher Eastman-Nagle

August 30, 2018 at 12:39 am

Good luck with that, Linz. May this journey be smooth going, pleasantly sunny, blessed with a fair wind at its back .. and brought safely home with a rich cargo of good ideas for us to enjoy. Bon voyage, pilgrim.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Receive Our Weekly Tas Roundup