‘New slaughterhouse expose projected onto wall of butcher’

Last night, Animal Liberation Tasmania projected newly-exposed footage from Cradoc Hill Abattoir onto the butcher they supply to, Huon Valley Meat Co, while simultaneously holding a candlelight vigil.

Displayed next to the company’s billboard, an image of raw meat, the footage showed the forgotten process of how this product actually comes to be. Volunteers of the animal rights organisation also held candles as a mark of respect to the lives lost at the facility.

Cradoc Hill Abattoir is now the third Tasmanian slaughterhouse to be exposed in a year. Almost exactly one year ago, egregious cruelty to pigs, cows and sheep was uncovered at Gretna Quality Meats, a small-scale local abattoir.

Just over 6 months ago Tasmanian Quality Meats was exposed, with footage of shocking cruelty to sheep and bobby calves proving animal welfare breaches are also commonplace at large export-grade abattoirs.

Now, proudly dubbed an “ethical abattoir”, the footage from Cradoc Hill shows improper stunning techniques and physical and verbal abuse of cows, sheep and pigs. Furthermore, it shows terrified animals trying to escape, only to be met with sheer disrespect and mockery of their plight by employees of the facility.

For a business in which “paddock-to-plate” is their mantra, it may come as an uncomfortable truth to clients, including the notable name of Matthew Evans – the Gourmet Farmer ( Here ), that the promise of happy slaughter is an impossible one to keep.

With no action yet taken against Gretna Quality Meats or Tasmanian Quality Meats ( TT here ) by the authorities, Animal Liberation Tasmania is now calling for the Tasmanian community to use its power as consumers to hold these facilities accountable.

“What this footage displays, more than anything, is that animals want to live just as much as you or I or anyone else,” states Animal Liberation Tasmania campaign director, Mehr Gupta. “The slaughter industry, by definition, will never be ethical. By simply choosing not to support it we can create a kinder world.”

The footage, an investigation by Aussie Farms and Animal Liberation Tasmania, can be viewed at www.aussieabattoirs.com/slaughterhouses/cradoc

ABC: Cradoc Hill Abattoir adopts new practices following Animal Liberation video

• Pam Ison in Comments: I know many Animal Lib protesters and every single one is vegan (including me). They’re not hypocrites like some are accusing. They’re incredibly lovely, gentle people who care about people as well as animals and luckily the vast majority are young, so hopefully there will be better times ahead than the misery of farmed animals that most current middle-aged and old people support.

1. Tony Stone

October 11, 2017 at 1:09 pm

As one who doesn’t eat red meats, any animal products, including dairies, nor processed foods and takes responsibility for their footprint on earth as best they can. Just laugh at these fools from supposed animal liberation.

You can back it in, they are probably all complicit in hypocrisy, as they would all consume dairies and large amounts of meats in their junk food and just about all food they consume.

They have these protests, then all go off and have their lattes, take aways and grog. All these useless damaging commodities, have some form of meat product in them, along with masses of chemicals.

If you’re gonna try to destroy peoples livelihood, then you should be above hypocritical suspicion.

Taking responsibility for your footprint on the planet first, is the only way forward. Rather than blame others, whilst you consume the objects you are protesting about saving.

Show the right example first, before revealing the depth of your own hypocrisy and ignorance of the true realities of life.

2. Geoffrey Swan

October 11, 2017 at 1:41 pm

I am totally opposed to any animal cruelty. In the past 10 years we have farmed pigs, dairy cows, rabbits, ducks and geese and there have been occasions when a humane kill was required. I am fortunate to have a firearm licence – the ultimate humane killing weapon. From time to time I have needed to put down an injured wallaby hit by a passing car. Animals play a big part in our daily lives whether as a producer, a carer and protector, or as a consumer, and in our case reverence goes with the territory.

I also know the owner, James Lord personally. We have had James to our place for a few meals. I have met his father and sister. I spent some time at the Cradoc Hill abattoir to hone my knife skills when I was studying to be a chef. IMV the Lord family are an exemplary family – one of the nicest I have met. James is very passionate and committed to the ethics in this industry, to quality meat, to food miles, provenance and animal welfare. James is educated and intelligent and is very serious about his business.

I have viewed the full footage on the animal liberation website and it is disturbing. James has been totally betrayed by some of his staff. James is very hands-on in this difficult and confronting business but he obviously cannot be at the coal face every moment of every day. I have no doubt James will act accordingly with respect to the persons culpable in the footage. He will most likely act swiftly as did Nick Xenophon last week when he sacked Rhys Williams over the domestic violence issue.

The animal liberation website also speaks of decaying carcasses and body parts left to rot at the abattoir. If, as a society, we choose to consume meat there are certain body parts that do not enter our Western diet food chain. This waste is ultimately turned into blood and bone fertiliser. It is not a measure of cruelty or disrespect – it is simply a bi-product of our Western diet.

3. Leonard Colquhoun

October 11, 2017 at 5:08 pm

“If, as a society, we choose to consume meat” – WTF? Waddaya mean “as a society”? Surely and ultimately this is a personal decision by adults for themselves and their children?

BTW, wonder whether any of the protesters were shod in leather?

4. Geoffrey Swan

October 11, 2017 at 5:49 pm

#3 A little harsh there Leonard to be so picky with a phrase. (WTF?)

I am simply stating that if we “choose” to eat meat, and estimates appear to be that some 80% or more of the world’s population do indeed eat meat, then there are bits and pieces of the beast that most of us on the Western diet “choose” not to eat.

My point being if you read the website article they state “Outside behind the slaughterhouse, large piles of rotting carcasses, organs, severed heads and other body parts are left to rot.”” which is all a lot of rot and is intentionally misleading. Of course there are the bi-products of slaughtering, just like fish guts from cleaning, or vegetable waste from a cauliflower – all able to be used as much needed fertiliser for our soils. The abattoir is doing nothing wrong in this regard, IMV.

5. Furious George

October 11, 2017 at 5:54 pm

“verbal abuse of cows, sheep and pigs. … only to be met with sheer disrespect and mockery …” I’d offer a tissue, but I think the cow might have difficulty, what, with not having opposable thumbs and all. Perhaps mediation between the cow and abattoir workers over a nice cup of jarrah is the solution?

6. Betty

October 11, 2017 at 6:03 pm

All “Smoke and Mirrors” or “Move On Nothing to See Here” it would appear by the Huon Valley Meat Co. Why haven’t they been open, honest, transparent and accountable for what they say they live up too (all their standards etc etc). Why don’t they have live CCTV so anyone can look and see what really goes on? After all if there is nothing to hide then there should be no problem’s ay?.

7. Simon Warriner

October 11, 2017 at 7:44 pm

“By simply choosing not to support it we can create a kinder world.”

The action taken, and the critique of the abattoir owner and customers goes well beyond “simply choosing not to support” and strays well into the territory of commercial attack. Something not entirely uncommon with the self righteous vegetarian mob.

Simply choosing not to support would involve nothing more than shutting up and staying away. Making a public fuss and issuing press releases is activism and attempted demonisation.

Virtue signalling writ large.

8. lola moth

October 11, 2017 at 11:52 pm

I think Betty’s idea of CCTV in abattoirs is probably the best way of ensuring our animals are slaughtered without cruelty. I did not produce any lambs last year because I did not trust Tasmanian slaughterhouses with my animals. Because of that decision, my annual income was halved and I had to buy meat from a friend who gets a mobile butcher in for her animals.

I would rather keep wethers as lawnmowers and not produce lambs at all than take the risk that any animal born on my property could be mistreated in any way.

Having CCTV in our slaughterhouses with footage viewed regularly would reassure me of the ethics of the businesses I deal with. Any business that does not instantly dismiss a worker caught mistreating an animal should be named and shamed.

I have lambs again this year and if I can’t be sure of how they will be killed by someone else I will get the mobile butcher in and give the meat away to friends. I have no problem producing animals for human consumption but I have a huge problem producing them for sick individuals to get their jollies from cruelty and sadism.

9. Tony Stone

October 12, 2017 at 10:38 am

You can’t slaughter animals without cruelty because enslaving and killing them just for gluttony is cruel in itself. They have thinking minds, communicate with each other, have complex social interaction and have deep feelings. They know what you are going to do to them and are very frightened. In an earlier life I worked in abattoirs until I couldn’t stand it or the smell any more.

Then we have the fact bovines are a major contributor to climate change, land degradation and pollution. It takes huge amounts of land and resources to keep animals for slaughter than it does to grow food.

Doubt these fools from supposed animal liberation are real vegetarians, just hypocritical fools. They may not eat meats, but they most certainly indulge in dairies which cause the majority of illness and disease to the human body.

It’s a simple formula, get your own act together first before attacking and deriding those who aren’t hypocritical in their lives, just trying to make a living and provide the best of the worst for food.

There can be no way of nicely killing animals you are going to eat. It’s pretty barbaric any way you go about it, and completely unnecessary for a healthy life.

10. John Maddock

October 12, 2017 at 10:50 am

Well said, Lola.

I often contemplate the same problem.

JV

11. Pam Ison

October 12, 2017 at 2:57 pm

I know many Animal Lib protesters and every single one is vegan (including me). They’re not hypocrites like some are accusing. They’re incredibly lovely, gentle people who care about people as well as animals and luckily the vast majority are young, so hopefully there will be better times ahead than the misery of farmed animals that most current middle- aged and old people support.

12. Geoffrey Swan

October 12, 2017 at 11:28 pm

#11 Hello Pam.. I am 60+.. so by your definition I am probably an “oldie”. When I was 22 I was a vegetarian for 4 years.. not vegan.. but definitely in tune with eating veg. My bible at the time was Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore Lapp.. a great read and philosophy..I can recommend.

Back in the 70’s the best we could expect from a restaurant meal was a warm tomato based sauce over spaghetti.. so we tended to eat at home. Options these days are so much better.

Life is a cycle thing and I am not so sure you will keep to your values but I applaud you for speaking up. Reality is we humans are destined to be omnivores.. just look at our teeth.

Not wishing to preach, but in the spirit of free speech, it is IMV really important not to throw stones. Bottom line, we are overpopulated and we need an intelligent perspective on our future. I do believe it still needs to be a balance of “meat protein”, grains and vegetables.. and most likely insects and more. Thank you for sharing your views.

13. Tony Stone

October 13, 2017 at 10:25 am

#11, Having been a non meat eater, no processed food or dairies for over 40 years, have come across thousands claiming to be supposed vegetarians or vegans,

Mostly it’s in their heads and when you see what they consume, it doesn’t take very long to understand where they are coming from, fantasy land.

So as a supposed vegan, you would never buy anything from a shop, always make you own bread, grow your own food and have nothing to do with any animal products, like leather shoes etc.

The candles they are holding, they would have made themselves, as bought ones probably have some animal fats in them. You’ll find dairies in every piece of food that has been manufactured, or processed in any way.

So you would never eat out, as the kitchens would be flooded with animal products, which would contaminate anything not animal based.

When you provide for yourself, the foods you eat, rather than purchase them, then you can claim to be a real non animal product consumer.

Yet even someone like me, who is dedicated to not abusing the life on this planet unnecessarily, would never try to destroy the livelihood of someone who lives differently to me.

Abhor they are doing, but until people see the outcomes of living without animal products they will never change. All you do is turn them against you

Drop-kicks like these misguided fools are no different to all the other nutters desperate to destroy our societies by fracturing them along insane ideological lines.

Provide a real example that is factual and that people can see works, rather than a pseudo wank fest of hypocrisy.

People of my generation and younger think I have discovered some magical potion to keep myself fit, healthy and looking very much younger, than my biological age.

The truth, its all about lifestyle, diet and taking real responsibility for my footprint on the planet in what I consume and use.

Not denouncing others trying to make a living as best they can and in the best way they can, even with the barbarity associated with what they produce and sell.

No one has a right to judge others until they have judged themselves and ideological wankers, just excuse themselves, because they think insanely, they are superior.

14. Tim Thorne

October 13, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Farmed cattle and sheep are not an economically or ecologically sustainable way of producing food.

Methane emissions add to the atmospheric gases which exacerbates climate disruption. As introduced species these animals have irreparably damaged hectares and hectares of native fauna habitat and have contributed to loss of biodiversity. The amount of water and energy consumed in this form of food production is excessive when nutritional value is considered.

Cruel treatment, either through negligence, through greed or through sadism, is regrettable, but the bigger picture shows us that these creatures should never have been in the situation that they are. De-stocking is necessary and overdue.

15. Simon Warriner

October 14, 2017 at 9:51 am

John Michael Greer, at the conclusion of his blog, “The Archdruid Report” posed the question “How then, should we live?”

I observe, pertinent to this discussion and many others, that identity politics, of which this is a part, is about small groups attempting to impose their answer to that question of the whole.

Until we come up with a way of having that conversation in a civil and coherent manner as a species we are on a trajectory to having a nest full of shit, a planet set on a path that makes our survival improbable and a fairly nasty passage to that end.

Such a conversation can never happen with modes of leadership that begin with individuals forming groups comprised of people who think that what they think is the only correct way to proceed.

What is needed is a mode of leadership that allows all perspectives to be considered, problems identified, solutions considered, tested and implemented, and for the results to be evaluated based on fact, not ideology.

Most vegetarians would be unaware of the development of rotating motion involved in the use of animal fat as a lubricant, leather as a bearing material, or domesticated animals as beasts of burden. Without those earlier steps we would not be living in a society where their means of protest were possible, but we would in all probability still be eating meat, and using skins and fur to keep warm.

16. Sarah Avery

October 14, 2017 at 3:08 pm

I became a vegan after observing so much awful human treatment of animals and being totally disgusted at the levels of cruelty and total disrespect for life shown by so many workers within animal agriculture. I am 62 so not a young person by any means, but I’m proof that if you truly love animals, despite being used to a meat & dairy based diet for a lot of your life, you can still change because your heart and moral values rule your stomach.

I urge everyone to try a plant-based diet and see how much better this feels from both an ethical and health point of view. I applaud these young Tasmanians for standing up against what they know is wrong.

17. Tony stone

October 14, 2017 at 6:33 pm

#12 Sarah, agree with most of your post, but trying to destroy someone’s livelihood is not a good example of promoting change.

I’m not a vegan, don’t like labels, class myself as one who cares about my health and life. For a viable sustainable future, animals are an essential aspect and without them we would not exist as there needs to be a proper balance.

Eating animals and their byproducts is not conducive to a viable future. Bovines just don’t fit our environment, they just destroy it.

Over my life have seen many who get into causes and create havoc within society, then they leave uni and go back to the way they were brought up.

The only way to get through to people regarding diet and life approach is by example, not abusing those who either don’t know and or are trying to make a living.

Elitism, which is what these young fools are indulging in, never works and always creates more problems.

It would be so lovely if we could get rid of the animal abuse and slaughtering industry. That can only be achieved by providing the right example and with proper education. To do that you need to have some influence.

I would envisage that as getting into political office and providing an example, as well as putting forward education programs that provide the truth about health and animal product consumption.

That should start from the first day of school, but like most necessary changes, they won’t happen, and these young people in a couple of years will revert to their junk food, animal saturated diets.

Have seen this scenario over and over, that’s why I call it an ego wank fest. It will achieve nothing unless those protesting continue throughout their lives as non animal eating humans

That’s extremely doubtful if we go by the examples of the past. We must remember the opposition to giving away animals product consumption comes from the political system, the entire food industry, and of course the medical profession.

I’ve been trying for decades to promote change and so far have achieved nothing other than for myself and those closest to me. Nice to see another older person on the same track. They are few and far between, I can assure you of that.

18. Mick Kenny

October 16, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Contemporary debates over livestock or food production and consumption can be polarised and focused upon the qualities of respective proponents.

Opponents to cruel treatment of animals need not all be barefoot vegans wearing hand-woven flax trousers and straw sandals with plaited bark straps. This mythical uber-vegan obscures the simple argument for ethical and humane treatment of animals and environments.

Consumer choices do influence producers and rightly allow purchasers to discriminate between palm oil, coffee, garments, chocolate or various other products on the basis of where they are produced, whether children are employed in their production, or endangered habitats and species like orangutans are affected.

Corporations are acutely aware of environmental and ethical reputations. So too are primary producers with Australia’s standard food production regarded highly internationally, not least by China. If we want to maintain this position we do need to change some things. Accreditation requires accountability, with cameras and similar monitoring becoming a not uncommon expectation, particularly where humane treatment and slaughter is a selling point. Remember the outrage at live cattle exports, and their slaughter in Indonesia, for a moment.

Not everyone is cut out for abattoir work. Some are fundamentally unsuited with others more likely to be affected negatively by the experience. With such a producer-consumer disconnect today between a kangaroo sausage or roast chicken it’s little surprise we eat as much meat as we do. Increased awareness and reduced meat intake is probably not a bad thing individually, and environmentally. Balanced debate on the underlying issues and impacts is a prerequisite.

19. Stephan

October 18, 2017 at 11:26 am

I used to think that Buddhists were the most peaceful religion until the recent expose of goings on in Myanmar and the Rohinga.

Animal Liberation worrying about the practices of a small country abattoir in the road kill capital of the world is so laughable it’s just not funny.

The myopic stand taken by all of the angry focus groups of this world show how little we as individuals look beyond our own personal interest “horizons”.

Bad things happen everywhere and I’m here to tell “vegans” that it’s been documented that plants have feelings, and I believe many scream pitiably when “harvested”.

Byeeee

20. Geoffrey Swan

October 18, 2017 at 5:23 pm

#19 Yep… The Secret Life of Plants (1973) by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird … fascinated me when I was a vege in the 70’s.

Another good read following on from Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore Lapp as I mentioned at #12.