Charles Wooley

Before I saw the light …

Before I saw the light, it always amazed me how the folk at Forestry Tasmania and their many compliant friends in Parliament, their social media supporters and those who write splenetic letters to the editor denouncing so called ‘tree hugging greenies’ could be so certain they alone were right. Was their conviction just an act of faith given the scant science and the dubious economics of forest residues?

Horribly, back then when I wanted to be hurtful I would call those residues ‘woodchips’.

I was cruel and ignorant.

“We’ve been in the residue business for half a century. So where are the residuals?” I would ask. “Show me the money!” I used to foolishly demand. I’m sorry but it did seem we were the poorest state with low literacy, low wages and high welfare dependency.

Perhaps because I lacked faith myself I found staunch conviction without evidence a perplexing condition in others. Thus I made enemies everywhere. Even the odd angry wood turner would have put me through the lathe for my vile apostasy. And understandably so.

But hold on brothers! Now I am a believer. I’ve changed my mind. I’m with you tree fellers. I am now convinced the only good tree is a horizontal one and I’m going to tell you why.

It came to me on a recent visit to my ancestral Scotland. It was a glorious summer day, which over there is like a tolerable day in a Tasmanian winter.

I was striding up a beautiful glen with a clear but slightly peaty highland stream winding through it. The soft light, the towering clouds alternating sun with shade, the sound of water on stone, the steeply rising ferny hillsides, the craggy grey mountains looming beyond the vivid green of the glen and even a lark singing on high; it was Tasmania with a better view.

Then the epiphany struck. “This is only beautiful because I can see it. And why can I see the view? Because there are no bloody trees in the way!”

It was that simple.

Scotland is breathtakingly beautiful because you can see it. Scotland, I suddenly realised, is Tasmania without trees. Scotland with no trees attracts about 20 million visitors every year. Tasmania with too many trees gets only a bit over a million visitors.

In Scotland without trees, those tourists see their way clear and spend about 20 billion dollars. In Tasmania it’s only 2.5 billion dollars, which still isn’t bad, but think how much better it could be without trees.

The argument is finally settled by simple economics. You can make money by chopping down trees but you’ve got to be serious about it and you can’t let them grow back. The flaw in the FT model is you never get the economic benefit of this kind of Highland Clearance if you let the bloody things grow again.

In Roman times Scotland was wall-to-wall forest, so thick that two thousand years ago, a whole Roman Legion vanished forever. For a long time thereafter hardly anyone went there. Happily by the 16th Century the Great Caledonian Forest was completely gone, cleared for agriculture and shipbuilding.

Not long after, the visitors started to arrive. “Clear it and they will come!” became the catch cry of Scottish tourism. And, my new friends, it should be ours.

In times past when I was inclined to a bit of tree hugging I would take mainland visitors to a stand of giant Eucalyptus regnans in the Florentine Valley just past Maydena. “These are the tallest trees on earth.” I would foolishly boast.

My friends would gasp in admiration and crick their necks, craning to see trees soaring like 30-storey buildings up from the forest floor. In those days I couldn’t see the wood for the trees. I would take people a little further down the track to deride and disparage (I am now ashamed to admit) FT’s valiant but often futile attempts to clear the land. No sooner did they clear one coup than another started to grow.

Concentrating my attention on the smoldering and ruined landscape I failed to notice the dramatic appearance of spectacular mountain ranges that been obscured by the forest. What a shame FT erroneously thought they had to regrow those trees. They too would have benefited, as I have, from a trip to Scotland.

About 10 percent of Scotland is covered by trees, as opposed to about 50 percent of Tasmania, yet that tiny Scottish forest supports 40,000 jobs and adds almost $3.5 billion to the economy, without spoiling the view for the tourist.

Last time I looked we were losing money and not even getting on top of the tree problem. We need to lift our game and drop more trees.

There’s a growing alarm in the Scottish Highlands because the Forestry Commission of Scotland now has an ambitious and mad plan to regrow the ancient forest that once obliterated the best views on earth and swallowed a Roman Legion.

In that country, forestry has suddenly become unpopular, not because they are chopping down trees, but because they are putting them up again. I’m with the people who support bare hills and a great view.

Though I’m not going to be extreme here. Sometimes I find the occasional small tree in the landscape helps to balance my tourist photo.

*Charles Wooley is a legend of Australian journalism, partly through his history with Sixty Minutes

• Ted Mead in Comments: Yes Charles – a good tongue in cheek approach – The problem with your article is that many in Tas would take your epiphany as a devout Forester now, and are probably looking to enlist you as a FT clear-cut ambassador to all things draconian. Fortunately for me I introduced you to these forest giants in the Styx when we did that 60 mins take so I at least know where you’re coming from, whilst many others are probably scratching their heads with disbelief.

1. Ted Mead

September 8, 2016 at 2:49 pm

# 72 – Well said Claire!!!!!!!!

You only have to look at Frank Stries’comments in the Bob Mesibov article to see how other countries (Slovenia) can manage their forests successfully, sustainably and competently.

And at the same time parallel jobs and profit.

2. Claire Gilmour

September 8, 2016 at 12:07 am

Forestry Tasmania certainly can’t be put on top as the ‘worlds best practice’.

They are a dumbed down machine which has had plenty, both on and off ground employed insurgents blow raspberries to the hierarchy, whether this be privately, publicly or to the FT and government hierarchy itself.

Apparently now though the forest industry has had a miraculous resurrection … ho hum, how does the political grandstanding forest garden grow …!?

Which is probably because FT and gov needed just a ‘small’ group of timber business to gift to and reap from.

All too hard for them when there were too many ‘little’ saw millers vying for some fairness … and … timber!!

How many are allowed access to timber on state forest land?

What do they pay?

What are their obligations as far ensuring a perpetual native forestry and protected native species environment?

Or do they leave all that in the hands of FT and the government?

Forestry Tasmania, (which is just another name for many a government and politician to skim the cream), in my opinion, is one of the world’s worst timber merchants and governing bodies.

They need to look outside their own money corrupting square more and see what has been lost from being blind and what can be gained from being open eyed.

Cest la vie …

3. spikey

September 7, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Cheers Billy,
    In this ongoing unenlightened age of advanced strategic disinformation, it’s good to read more local political opinion. I’ll check the website this eve as I haven’t for some time.
    Australian subservience to the international terrorist organisations of the Americas has been fairly obvious most of my life, hence our politicians eagerness to send troops off to devastate and plunder the middle east, whilst conveniently both contributing to and ignoring very real atrocities closer to home.
    I consider the liblab government to be a cabal of turd polishers, at least they admit they get paid for it.

FYI I’m somewhat more familiar about the subject of Scottish Forestry than most… Largely they appear to be polishers with an accent… still pimping atrazine when it had been banned here and wondering why their birds, amphibians and fish were dissappearing.

Important recent factors in their timber industry were the EU…which opened up local markets to a flood of european timber, and brexit/the lowered pound, which made conditions more favourable for timber sales. Anyone who talks about the strength of the scottish timber industry is polishing a MacTurd

4. William Boeder

September 7, 2016 at 3:09 am

Back to you spikey, have you happened to read any of the urbanwrongski.com chronicles of late?
    if not then I suggest you do so as his style probes deeper into the flesh of America’s major allies here in Australia known as the Liberal Stoat and Weasel political Association.
    The S and W liberal membership is ‘chockers’ with business economists, corporate consultants and others such as the bent lawyers brotherhood who have available their professional legal manipulating skills that sees them cling like Limpet-fish (or shit to a blanket) upon government lobbyists and Abetz-like government ministers.
    Writers such as Charles Wooley that have gained their enormous background knowledge of how the World turns also how the Aussie Liberal persuasion now has Australia held subservient to the NSA of the US of A.
    (Recall Attorney General George Brandis and his beguiling meta-data story-lines.
    He saying, ‘this meta-data implementation is nothing more than a something he did not know much about so don’t worry.)
    As for turd polishing experts and environment destructors I believe a number of these specie are on the best of terms with Forestry Tasmania and possibly a spry cahoot employed under the banner of the Sarawak-based rain-forest plunder institute.

5. Jack Lumber

September 6, 2016 at 3:46 pm

65 and 67 Your fecal fascination is most instructive and it is while not worthy of polishing , many would suggest you are sprinkling it with glitter in an attempt to make it seem intelligent.

This thread has gone slightly left field ,to where I suspect Mr Wooley did not intend but in the end , 60 minutes is a turd that wont get flushed away in the TV landscape so i guess you are onto something . And in Bondi Beach a
    ” trout ” has a different meaning too .

And now Riddler, we now find that Economists are bereft of any value . Is there any occupation or profession that you value ? Is Mr Wooley’s profession Journalism , acceptable to you ?

And like an endless roll of toilet paper I will leave the last (skid)remark to you

6. spikey

September 6, 2016 at 3:08 pm

g’day billy,
    personally i find your style of writing refreshing
    and i’m always interested to hear what you have to say
    though some may struggle to understand you at times
    most read you loud and clear
    perhaps use smaller words, if you can be bothered
    i agree with your opinions on economics and many other things

my prickly sobriquet (and occasional pointed exposé into the shining world of wantonly destructive charity industry apologists) also includes the given names George and Keith though they are rarely aired here and questionably poignant, shiny, sharp or relevant

7. William Boeder

September 6, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Hello again spikey, I do hope my writing is acceptable and that it safely delivers its message, yet there’s a miniscule number of non-eclectic or non-multifarious writers in our midst that seem to end up in a daze when confronted with a few lines penned by myself.

Your sobriquet of spikey sits comfortable with the way you write your comments.
    #61. Claire I was pleased that I opened the link you posted, David Suzuki cleverly placed the occupational spoon-bending dynamics of economists way out in the back paddock where they should remain.
    Economists are akin to weather predictors, at the end of the day it really doesn’t matter what economists tell us as they are prone to being awry of that which we cannot be without, the Sun the Moon the rain the soil and its harvest.

To put it more bluntly economists gad about spieling numbers and ASX terminologies that don’t really make much sense.
    I find that reality and that which keeps this old World turning are far more important to our life than a weighted index explained with the use of confusing nonsensical algebraic symbols.
    How often do economists predict their doom and dire warning of upturns and downturns, the only concern of economists is for them to rationalize the ongoing manipulation of fiscal values that directly rely on the wiles of the big corporate plunderers and Bankers to twist the products of nature into money.

Thankful I be that I am able to see the beauty of nature in full display, I am endless fascinated how we can indeed dwell side by side with the mother of all creation.
    The subject matter introduced to us by Charles Wooley delivered its intended message, a range of hills with nary a tree in sight starkly devoid of natures bounty fails for me to match up to a fulsome and magnificent nature created forest.
    Oh, and yes Charles, its many streams and creeks bursting with trout.

8. Jack lumber

September 6, 2016 at 2:49 am

Re 64 William a question ? Do you actually read comments or just have a predisposed view ?

Still I would expect no less from one known as the master of the riddle AKA the riddler ( not to be confused with the giggler)

Definition of riddle
    : a mystifying, misleading, or puzzling question posed as a problem to be solved or guessed : conundrum, enigma
    : something or someone difficult to understand

9. spikey

September 6, 2016 at 2:43 am

#63
    g’day billy, impressed may not be the right word, but i reckon i made an impression

#62
    that shit don’t even rhyme
    if you’d like some lessons
    come up for a beer
    i advise walking before running
    with avant garde st6les

there once was a shill for forestry
    clearly missing wooleys irony
    in an article, about him
    keeper caught words swirled spun
    whilst he polished on, for free?

or shine on shill yo

10. William Boeder

September 5, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Hello spikey, I see someone has not been impressed by your poetry, I note that your main agent-de-critique is neither so much as a noble nor even a notary.
    Same a’d’ critique is likely to not know the difference between a lavatory or poetry nor even a special species timber tree.
    Then that everything that grows forest favourable
    he believes all and every are then wood-chippable.

Old saying; those that run with the Wolves end up carrying their fleas.
    Humour:
    2 blokes arguing about their dogs.
    The Texan says my dog is so big he’s got fleas on ‘im that are bigger than your dog.
    Aussie responds, yeah, sorry mate my dog is so big that his fleas have got dogs on them.

Texan frowns then withdraws from further braggadocio….

11. Jack Lumber

September 5, 2016 at 6:48 pm

re 59 Ted Thank you
    I take the reference to poetry as a compliment and unlike some I am happy to learn and improve in poetry (AND forestry) and also be critiqued .

12. Jack Lumber

September 5, 2016 at 6:33 pm

re 60 fair points , good points and appreciate the feedback particularly the end scan

To be honest was caught between a limerick and or maybe attempt am iambic pentameter but you know for better or for verse , i went with some doggerel

I think it would be better written as
    “diddums dont delay with the dummy …..the use of alliteration would make it a better line

13. Claire Gilmour

September 5, 2016 at 5:53 pm

14. spikey

September 5, 2016 at 4:02 pm

#2, #10, #13, #18, #20, #27, #32, #35, #39, #49, #52, #54, #58
    And a high percentage of polished comments on far too many threads
    I reccommend metamucil mate

kudos for the attempt at rhythmn
    constructive criticism would include attention to scan
    i feel that last couplet was ruined by bitterness and may scan better with

Comments so fast they could fill a bucket*
    diddums go get ya dummy and suck it

* I do like this line, its a nice use of metaphor, not particularly accurate, but nice

15. Ted Mead

September 5, 2016 at 3:42 pm

#58 Jack

Some good advice!!!!!

Don’t ever consider giving up your day time job of trashing forests for a possible career in poetry.

You could be staring down the barrel of bankruptcy pretty quick I’d reckon!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Jack Lumber

September 5, 2016 at 2:06 pm

re 56, 57 and Ted

To the three amigos who seem ready to rumble ,
    Thank you for being so clever(?) and humble *.
    Razor like comments that they want to be heard
    A pity they all sound like a “turd”
    Comments so fast the could fill a bucket
    Best most can say is go get ……..

*Humility is, in a sense, admitting how egotistical you are.”

17. spikey

September 5, 2016 at 1:35 am

thanks billy
    being more a fb algorythm poet it’s nice to see tt ‘likes’
    don’t scare jacky boy with threats of custody though
    obviously he’s just having a laugh
    and towing the line for the crooks ruining the joint
    who think they still run it
    that being said
    i’m to the eye teeth
    of these delusions
    its a brave new world

18. William Boeder

September 5, 2016 at 12:11 am

#54. Hello Mr spikey, I found your poetic persuasions were apt and befitting an industry that is e’er a failure based on its clear-fell insanity.’
    Who dares to defend this travesty are persons that many claim are better suited when they be held in custody.

19. spikey

September 4, 2016 at 8:41 pm

#53 paid by the word if his predictably relentless anonymous obfuscation is anything to go by
    thanks for the recognition

#54
    silence from some is golden
    FYI “A puritan is a person who pours righteous indignation into the wrong things.”

Conservationists? scientists? authors? vets?
    no holds barred over the years eh jacky boy? upset a few peeps i reckon

FYI the turd was a metaphor for Worlds Best Uneconomic Unsustainable Conjob
    something you appear to have a curious need to pimp, very very often.
    I thought that was fairly obvious
    The subtle undercurrent ironed into Wooleys original article.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=turd polishing
    take your pick of the definitions, dig your hole deeper
    but relax, turds too lame a name and shame word for a halitotic mouthpiece of forestry faeces fluffing

Uncannily, again, your inerpretation is otherwise
    Perhaps my typos confused you amongst the original catchy rythmn
    Which caught kudos from ted at least
    you could almost use the acronym to force one out on your throne
    prior to polishing and posting here
    chronic, allegedly economic, verbal diarrhea
    polished as ‘difference of opinion’

20. Jack Lumber

September 4, 2016 at 12:52 pm

re 53 Ted what a strange world you must live in.
    Is it the case where if some one has a different view on something that you also share a passion then you end up using the word “turd” to describe them or accuse same as being funded to troll.

Keep polishing that “turd” and being a puritan , Ted

21. Ted Mead

September 4, 2016 at 2:38 am

#51 – Great response Spikey to finish off the tangential Forester’s bemoaning.

I particularly found the turd polishing line so apt.

Now as for these industry hecklers I’m sure most of them are paid stooges desperately attempting to disrupt any debate in hope that we will get frustrated and abandon our views. If this is the case then the Forest industry is getting poor value for their money.

At some future stage the heckle money will wane and these soulless and disturbed antagonists will crawl back to their insular caves.

Note when the Gunns money dried up – well we haven’t heard as much of a squeak out of Barry Chipman since.

Let’s hope that the FIAT and FT trolls go down the same path soon.

22. Jack lumber

September 3, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Re 51 silence is the greatest scorn
    So there will be no lobbing
    I suspect you are beyond lobbying

23. spikey

September 3, 2016 at 1:09 am

#49 your interpretion is the only thing lacking from my verses
    and curses fromn potty mouths rich in terses
    tell me which zealot has to be heard
    on any issue forestry
    shamelessly absurd
    you defend nothing
    and polish turds
    you’re noted, and floating a raft of old
    cold, lies that were sold
    on meritless worlds best conjob
    states being robbed
    what bullshit you gonna lob?

24. Frank Strie

September 3, 2016 at 12:31 am

Restoration management, ProSilva style will be the future, responsible forest and water catchment restoration management.

Times of change – changing times!
    Look what is coming in New Zealand for more than one reason:

Nice to be able to share more climate positive examples.

25. Jack lumber

September 2, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Re 48 spike there is a bitterness to your writing that detracts from your verses

No need to apologise it’s expected and look forward to seeing you in the forests .

At the very least we share a passion for them and for that I will respect your thoughts . I don’t expect any reciprocity as my experience is that zealots are rarely wrong .

26. spikey

September 1, 2016 at 10:49 pm

#39 jacky boy

thanks for the Kudos for the rhythm, but it’s a shameless rip off of Frederic Weatherly.
    thanks also for your correction? although i’m struggling to find anything in what i wrote that resembles your corrections.
    in a similar vein, i couldn’t interpret your green bashing comment, unless its the usual blameshift in autopilot.
    the theme so far as i can tell was about speaking up, talking about the many interesting people who are blatant apologists for Forestry.
    I hate bagpipes, and people who play an active role in dividing the good people of tasmania.

27. Frank Strie

September 1, 2016 at 2:27 am

Haha now we are about to talk again?
    To be frank, these text sounds like the kind of topics I was hoping to hear and see prior to my resignation from the Tasmanian Forest Industries Training Board in July 1989:
    How about that for real change?
    After all these years, I received an email and link to such “nice music” in my ears:

…”The Australian forestry and forest products sector is well placed to contribute to new opportunities in landscape management and sustainable design.
    The Training Centre for Forest Value will produce industry-ready graduates and postdoctoral fellows with broad perspectives of the forest industry, and will achieve industry transformation through their research and training aimed at better integration and flow of information between
    (i) production and environmental tree plantings, and
    (ii) the supply chain from the forest to the final application.

The activities and outcomes of the Centre will:
    1.Facilitate forestry, manufacturing and design precision, and establish the potential for virtual vertical integration of forest enterprises.

2.Enable a transformation in the ways that timber users define required material properties as well as how timber producers grow, mill, assess and market the resource that it provides.

3.Underpin meeting these product markets through the supply of certified raw materials from sustainably managed production landscapes.

4.Drive innovation in the forest restoration and environmental planting activities that have now become a fundamental part of production forestry.

To continue to be as frank as possible, I am almost speechless tonight.
    There is light @…!
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then …
    Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mahatmagan103630.html

We shall see.

28. Frank Strie, Terra-Preta Developments

August 31, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Talking about responsible forest management, water catchment and landscape restoration needs, and the initiative of initially just one individual person from Hobart:
    and

The project: ‘giving clean water – one village at a time’ –

29. Frank Strie

August 31, 2016 at 1:44 am

Further …

The six municipalities Dienersdorf, Ebersdorf, Hartl, Hofkirchen, Kaindorf and Tiefenbach have joined forces as the Ecoregion Kaindorf and want to dramatically reduce their CO2 emissions in the coming years.
    The Ecoregion is in the shortest possible time a flagship region that operates an ecological circular economy and largely powered by renewable Engergie.

This project is not the project of individuals, but the project of an entire region. The power lies in the bundling of many ideas and skills. We invite all young people, women and men for active or supportive cooperation.

We put our energy actively to work on solutions, rather than the failure to show others.

This project is non-partisan and not dependent on public benefits but by our ideas and our willingness to do something. We are open for funding, but does not depend on.

We are convinced that we can expect from the other never more than we are willing to do it yourself. As members of the working group, we take responsibility and have an exemplary effect. The power lies in the collective presentation of how it might go.

Honesty internally and externally is an important condition that this project can become a reality. An objective assessment as possible of all projects is our goal.

We are one hundred percent responsible for successes and failures, the only way to demonstrate meaningful role models for other regions. Each glossing over (spin) – be it ever so small – would harm our projects and ourselves.

We do non keep our ideas and insights secret.
    We welcome all who want to copy our project or parts of it. In general, we are all open to co-operations / collaboration, which are relevant to the cause.

The funds are used exclusively for the advancement of the project in line with our objectives and released responsibly only by the entire board.

In all projects the emphasis is on sustainability. In addition, it will be shown that ecology and economy are not mutually exclusive .
    —-

Tasmania could be a great partner region to get things sorted!

30. Frank Strie

August 31, 2016 at 1:26 am

Thanks for responding Claire, and for asking where to and what now? …
    1. The past is the has been.
    2. As stated above restoration management is the future agenda.

Last night I attended the Private Forestry & Australian Forest Growers meeting in Launceston.

The new chair of FT was comparing the two forms of tree growing and management:
    Natural Forestry or Plantations = Feedlots!
    The threat of insects was mentioned by him also … So, there is maybe something happening in these circles after all.
    Time will judge what comes next.
    Yes, I am working now on behalf of the youngsters Ava, Khiana and Oliver. Yes our clan is into all sorts of interesting ventures from here.
    We will continue to do something in order to change the situation.
    The Eco-Region Kaindorf has developed a systems approach and pathway that we can take to provide our Island Community to the next chapter.

It will be interesting, or may I say interesting and fascinating what can come after all these years of “war”.

Use Google Translator if you wish, or alternatively let’s meet and talk it over:

31. Steve

August 31, 2016 at 12:29 am

Thanks Charles. Enjoyed.
    As a side light, it’s interesting to contemplate how many British oaks went into “Britannia rules the waves”.

32. Claire Gilmour

August 30, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Whilst I agree with other points in comment #11….

I have to remind that the Greens in 2010 were still pushing the ‘plantation’ strategy when I was one of their political candidates. It was a huge bone of contention between me and them, that and use of 1080 in the fox debarcle.

I was howled down in the party/candidate room for not supporting the introduced plantations … It was going to be our saviour according to the upper echelon of the Greens … lol

We (greens) had everything in the palm of our hand in 2010 – growing decency, care, good environmental practices, until the capital Greens sold out and the smart green realized and took ‘em down in the 2013 election.

This is not bitterness, it is reality! … Live it, breathe it, see it.

#41 How do we change it for good Frank?

You can spend the next 40 yrs, after spending the last 20 + yrs to try to make it better with your forester experience.

I can spend the same amount of time in political know and living the realism of what the states/countries forestry policy does to the average citizen.

Where does it get us/ the people?

I think the only avenue for me is … either forget it all, do some bitching from the sidelines OR standing for parliament … so I can have some experienced influence. I don’t have kids or the potential of grand kids, so I have to help those who are ignored. What else do you do?

33. Frank Strie

August 30, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Very good response Claire #40
    Restoration management is the future!
    The faces of the people standing on the edge of the stream, on the link you shared above, express hope.
    Have we got some legacies to deal with under Down Under?
    Again the process demonstrates that nowadays distance is no barrier, negative attitudes however can be.

Time will be judge.

34. Claire Gilmour

August 30, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Truth wrapped in satire … very powerful. Thankyou and Good on you Charles Wooley.

Something in it for Forestry Tasmania and the state and federal governments to learn by (besides the economics -the amount of people employed in such a little forestry industry in Scotland compared to Tasmania.) …

35. Jack Lumber

August 30, 2016 at 2:01 pm

re 36 Kudos for the rhythm 🙂

However one correction , no one says FT are not blameless and i dont see people being apologists

In a similar vein … why are some but not many so dogmatic , loud and often played very badly by Green Zealots .

You are right …back to the theme …. windbag/bagpipes wasn’t it

36. William Boeder

August 30, 2016 at 3:39 am

Thank you for your questions mike seabrook.
    Given that Forestry Tasmania recently ramped up their asset value of the State’s still living forests, I have to presume that Forestry Tasmania in their annual report had laid some sort of pre-harvest valuation ‘in dollars’ of the still standing Crown Land forests.
    From this perspective and that there are royalties and or stumpage charges gained when the Crown Land logs are delivered either to Ta Ann or onto the wood-chippers, so yes they must have a value amount, yet this value is generally unknown to the general public or they are even denied information about the fiscal value of the State’s public forests.
    (More of this State’s government and their Commercial in Confidence nonsense.)
    Methinks this value (held in the tangible logs as has been claimed by Forestry Tasmania) can only be a guess as nobody can readily ascertain whether their estimated volume is close or distant from the actual ‘claimed asset value per the F/T Annual report.’ (fiscal amount)
    The link below relates to a method or means of valuing felled logs as opposed to live standing forest trees, as was offered by the writer of the article back in 2010.

After all is set and done, volumes values and amounts are rather poorly considered by Forestry Tasmania, the facts tell us that Forestry Tasmania would soon find themselves dead in the water without the good old taxpayers’ money continually bailing them out of their imminent collapse.
    Logging in Tasmania is more of a burden than it is as an industry.

37. mike seabrook

August 29, 2016 at 10:44 pm

# 33

william

whose money was plundered

did the trees chopped down for taa ann ever have any value whilst standing – i gather that no rates were paid to the council on the standing timber and associated lands

think of all the jobs which tassie would not have otherwise had for the impoverished hard up tasmanians and the pollies cronies etc.if 457s were employed that is a feds issue not a tasmanian issue

though a proper public auction to the highest bidder would have been more appropriate and determined a true market value.

38. spikey

August 29, 2016 at 10:42 pm

#27

‘But agin we need to focus on the main premise of the article ….’

Oh, Jacky boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling.
    From glen to glen, and down the mountain side.
    The Forest’s gone, and all the plantations are dying.
    It’s you, it’s you must go and I must bide.

‘Before I saw the light, it always amazed me how the folk at Forestry Tasmania and their many compliant friends in Parliament, their social media supporters and those who write splenetic letters to the editor denouncing so called ‘tree hugging greenies’ could be so certain they alone were right.’

Now what was the premise of the article again?

39. Jack lumber

August 29, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Re 33 once again William your claim for investigation expertise leaves you glaringly exposed . Mr Amos is not the founder of FIAT , it has existed for a goodly while before Mr Amos was but a mere lad .

Can you pls acknowledge your factual error and btw can you publish your shortbread recipe given mr wooleys scottish flavours ?

40. Alan Jennison

August 29, 2016 at 8:24 pm

For goodness sake people…It’s spelt SATIRE.

41. William Boeder

August 29, 2016 at 6:39 pm

I note that this article has drawn out a timid comment from one of the former pack leader nobles that have in the past fed themselves quite handsomely through and by the clear-felling and plunder of Tasmania’s Native Forests, Yes I speak of a prior political incumbent that has had a roller coaster like success ride through his life here in Tasmania, none other than Julian Amos.
    Incidentally Julian the correct spelling in your comment ‘was drivel’ rather than your drivvle.

I understand that Mr Amos had created a pro-logging middleman agency known as Forest Industries Association Tasmania. (FIAT)
    Then that this middling outfit was largely being funded by Gunns Ltd. (Now bankrupt and their former chairman CEO now gaining a notoriety as a convicted criminal.)
    A secondary bankrupt other frenetic logging outfit known as Forest Enterprises Australia was also a former bankroller of FIAT but they becoming somewhat impecunious, were unable to continue their financial contribution to the salary of the FIAT middleman chairman Mr Julian Amos.

So with both the above forestry plunderers having met their Waterloo and FIAT not having much in their cash register, well the … poorly spelling chairman had to be given the flick.
    Sad news for all in the pro-logging sector even though there is scant information extant as to any at all item this noble one-time pack leader had contributed to the benefit of all in Tasmania.

Thank you Charles for your interesting article that offered the idea of creating a treeless State environment in order to have the pro-logging plunderers kept bereft of the fuel needed for their ancient annual ritualistic wild burning knees-up.
    I wonder what has become of the once regularly used flame blasting device invented by a former Forestry Tasmania (some say eccentric) Guru?
    Maybe this pyro-manic designer of this can of nuts bolts nozzles with its capacious fuel tank (otherwise known as that ominous all destructive flame blazing forest and wildlife death machine) is still on display in the boardroom of the now tenuously viable F/T GBE.
    (Forestry Tasmania now secretly hiding under a cloak of Commercial in Confidence and kept viable through F/T receiving their annual multi-millions in a huge brown paper bag from the taxpayer funded State government revenues.)

Apparently keeping Ta Ann supplied with our Crown Land Native Forest logs is the only priority undertaking of the Liberal buffoonery presently resting in the leadership role of Tasmaniac.

42. Jack Lumber

August 29, 2016 at 5:44 pm

re 30 thanks Ted big on theory I see but no actual information , as I was seeking you opinion and again looking to hear what you have to say after making a broad statement .

You are seem to be obsessed with CFB ; I can assume why but maybe you can explain .

Did Farmhouse Creek scar you that much …
    I enjoyed working in the Pictom , big trees and big logs.

Happy days and the regeneration now is fantastic having been back on many occasions ; plenty of understory and I wonder if people understand where all that regrowth comes from ( ref specifically for Tim )

Can assure you all Foresters have a broad appreciation of a range of silvicultural methods and apply accordingly

As to your use of caps , thanks ,I think , leave that nuance for others to ponder

Now Charles , where are you ? Still painting you face with wode ? Understand that having written that “satire” you would be seeking a disguise !!!

43. MJF

August 29, 2016 at 3:55 pm

# 26
    I’ve dealt with some similar historical mixed plantings on smaller farm plots and shelterbelts along the NW Coast where backwoods were planted amongst E nitens and E glob.
    Can’t recall the then funding but no doubt facilitated by generous government grants and perhaps assistance from PFT in some form or other. No surprise that the nitens outgrew the blackwood dramatically which in most cases existed only as suppressed, spindly sticks.
    Where the euc was clear felled, the remnant Blackwood was generally just smashed up as too small, sparse and sickly to justify any practical protection.

44. Ted Mead

August 29, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Jack – I’m still mystified and dumbfounded as to why some Foresters can’t see the different in ecological impacts between selective logging practices and broadscale clearfell. They obviously shy away from this issue in the house of horrors within the Forestry schoolyard at the ANU.

There are always references to forest practices being akin to a natural mega fire. Mega fires rarely destroy all subterranean organic matter unless it is of a combustible type.

As for your comment #17 – there are plenty of images depicting clearfell completely across class 3 & 4 streams, though the Forest Practices Code has ameliorated that issue in recent years!!!!

# 27 – In so far as appropriate species selection, I thought to a Forester that would be a no-brainer.

Planting species that are suited to climate, soil type and drainage as to maximise the success rate would be the obvious choices I would have thought. For example you wouldn’t put regnans on a well-drained sandy slope that has sun exposure and low rainfall.

Mind you I wouldn’t be surprised if some lame-brain in FT has floated the idea of planting vernicosa as a means of stabilising sand dunes!!!!!!!

Note how I always use a capital F – when I type Forester – you can ponder and wonder if that is some form of respect????

45. Tim Thorne

August 29, 2016 at 2:22 pm

#18 Jack, Wrong. I support selective harvesting of timber provided the end products retain their carbon for at least the expected natural life of the original trees. Provided also that principles of biodiversity and riparian protection are respected, and that transport of timber is done with due regard to road safety, road maintenance and emission limitation.

If all of that is not economically viable, then too bad. It is better that the planet survive than that one tiny industry in one of its most out-of-the-way corners keep making profits for a handful of vandals.

46. Robert LePage

August 29, 2016 at 1:49 pm

13# Surely you mean Texit, not Tasexit?

47. Jack Lumber

August 29, 2016 at 1:10 pm

re 19 John frankly I have trouble with anything the former MP for Bass says and maybe he should stick to polishing his “trophy” which is at his sawmill entrance

re 24 Thanks Ted and no surprises there (whew) and perhaps we should seek another’s view re cleared land and Blackwoods Jump in Gordon B and help explain that replanting blackwood in say the Midlands is well “interesting “. I suspect this would be the same for most ag areas with perhaps regions around Smithton

Which Eucalypt species where you considering as part of the indigenous plantation regime .

Would you accept tree breeding and would you accept GMO as part of ensuring successful establishment ?

But agin we need to focus on the main premise of the article …..Just thinking bagpies are full of hot air and apparently not good for your health , based on recent reports .

48. Pete Godfrey

August 29, 2016 at 12:06 pm

#24Ted, FT did try (badly) to grow blackwoods. They clearfelled the Garden of Eden creek area near lower Beulah/ Gog Ranges. Then put in 1200 ha of Blackwood with a supposed nurse crop of Radiata Pine.
    They forgot to watch the ball and the pines took over leaving spindly little sticks as blackwoods.
    It is very doubtful if any of the blackwoods will ever be of any use.
    Now that a new company has bought the Pine Plantations off FT they are just clearfelling the area and burning the residue.
    Residue being a $1.8 million subsidised Blackwood crop.
    The science behind growing Blackwood is obviously not in yet.

49. Old Man of Ross

August 29, 2016 at 10:20 am

Very tongue in check, The practices of FT have and to some extent are still abhorrent, clear felling, rowing all the stumps and small stuff into rows and napalming it from choppers killing off all the undergrowth and native animals, beetles, grubs etc is akin to how the dark satanic mills operated in your current city a few centuries ago …… and now it has been established that ‘global warming’ actually started when the mills were established. The reference was only to Scotland, but you and I know that the mountains and fells of Cumbria were also totally covered in trees until the fires of Manchester began, we are an ugly and destructive species , anyway we have to make the best of what left and that requires sympathetic ‘Foresters’ to manage and resurrect the mess that has been created by the greedy rotten bastards that have gone before……… there ends the todays sermon!!!!

50. Ted Mead

August 29, 2016 at 4:03 am

# 18 Jack

Not correct.

I do support forest plantations providing they are native species and of a species local to the general environs.

Clearing native vegetation areas to do so is inappropriate, and even more so if replanted in exotic species.

Prior to the Gunns dominant era there was ample cleared land in this state to grow native forests with specific targets such as Blackwood.

The industry was, and still, is driven by a quick turnover cycle with little thought given to the future, or even future markets per se.

Had we planted blackwoods and others in their millions half a century ago we would have resolved many of the catch cries about lack of specialty timber resources today, and could be a world supplier of quality craftwood rather than world laggers in natural resource management.

Arable land, be it trees or crops. is not infinite, so worthy and productive use of such will be an notable imperative in the foreseeable future.

51. Julian Amos

August 29, 2016 at 3:45 am

Charles
    Juvenile drivvle. I expected better from you.

52. George Smiley

August 29, 2016 at 2:44 am

Re 13 Jack Lumber
    “Can you help me understand which tree species are at risk?”

That is something that cannot be gauged until or even after the fact, but ‘species’ are not homogeneous populations. We are definitely losing local genetics within species; some of which have economic characteristics which anyone in the business can identify. The best red-toned blackwood grew at Hampshire and is virtually all gone to make room for E.nitens. It made the browny-yellow stuff from Circular Head look like crap. Giant muskwood was one of the first cabinetry timbers used in Tasmania. There’s nothing like it here in the north no matter how long it has lived – maybe it still exists somewhere.

When you cut Eucalypts there is enormous variation. I built a workshop with a hip roof from green low elevation (‘browntop’ is all I know) but the timber remained straight and perfectly dimensioned. Maybe such trees still exist somewhere and maybe they don’t, but my 100 year old home is built (green) from something similar; a lot has moved badly and it isn’t a patch on the shed. Often there will be a single tree in a coupe the boards of which you have never seen before nor will you ever see again.

Presumably unseen variations like disease and pest resistance, growth rates, and innumerable other adaptations to a locale are disappearing before they are even noticed, and loss of diversity will eventually be paid for with ever more failures in the face of climate change, introduced pests and pest species or better- adapted indigenous competition. So diversity loss doesn’t truncate species with a bang, they go slowly with the proverbial whimper.

As for paper making and carbon pollution – just walk over the sand and gravel in a regrowth forest and ask yourself where did the heads, branches and soil go, when will it be replaced if ever and then do a little flowchart of the whole industrial process. Have a go, it’s not beyond you.

53. Frank Strie

August 29, 2016 at 1:04 am

Yes Tim Thorne, you are right – hydrology, nutrient management and soil carbon are key issues.
    Optimisation of biodiversity from the ground up and restoration of such is the key to positive growth.
    From a basic efficiency point of view, the maintenance of continuous flow of values and goods is a great contrast to area rotational start – stop and batch processes. A classic example is the repeated rotational clearfell (stop) processes. It is simplistically stupid in the big picture of nature.
    The understorey and plant diversity above and under ground are essential parts of responsible, successful management practices. …

54. Jack lumber

August 29, 2016 at 12:08 am

Re 17 sorry Ted you are being way too selective with
    Land use history viz the midlands of Tasmania comes to mind and salinity etc etc

Loss of riparian areas again not forestry .
    Is forestry perfect. No … No science is and add the complexities of a range of societal values is always challenging … Perfection is a level of arrogance we leave to zealots . ( there is a place for continual improvement or even ceasing something but I see nothing but rhetoric )

And this obsession with clear fell sheesh and do you say the same about areas that have been burnt in a mega fire

Sorry Ted I was hopping to have a discussion and maybe build bridges

55. John Powell

August 29, 2016 at 12:03 am

My dear friends I suspect FT fully support the satire! In 2010 they decided to clear fell CoupeBA388D (44 ha) above Liffey Falls. After a four year battle the OBVIOUS Indigenous and Europe Heritage was recognized after support from Vica Bayley and Kim Booth and a WHA listing resulted over a portion of the area.

They have now released their next 3 year Production Plan and lo and behold they have the residual 25 ha as a target for 2017//2018.

Not as clear fell this time but as Potential Saw Log Retention.

This is an area that was part of the Helsham Thinnings of circa 1990.

According to Kim Booth who visited the coupe in 2012 the forest was maybe 5% sawlog 15% peeler and the rest chip.

So why would FT think about a revisit when perhaps the TRUE sawlog potential is 50 years away?

Vindictiveness,stupidity, contract issues, a Jurassic Minister, a complete balls up of a forestry organization ? I am sure Jack Lumber will help me,

Oh and FT and Will Hodgman need to reflect on the ENTIRETY of the indigenous heritage on both sides of Highland Lakes Rd bordering this area (LINZ ATTACH THE LINK of Quamby etc PLS) and think whether this is the correct thing to do 40 years after Gough and Vincent at Wave Hill. I am sure Guy Barnett has ZERO concept of what that means, but Will reckons he is doing something with his Indigenous Council ….let us see!

56. Jack lumber

August 28, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Re 15 hmm plantations have in fact been supported by these groups as replacements for sawlogs from natural forests

I’m sorry Tim but please explain how making paper increase carbon pollution. ?

Ted and Tim – bottom line is you will never accept any form of forestry be it prosilv or any other regime

I respect your position but do not agree with it

Now can we go listen to some pipe music

57. Ted Mead

August 28, 2016 at 11:47 pm

# 13 Jack

Any discussion about land use is going to be a long drawn out debate, however there are some basic principles that should be applied.

Land clearance for farming has been around for aeons, but most of the more contentious and destructive issues have arisen in more recent times.

My concerns would be for the decimation of riparian zones, the draining of the water tables, the destruction of wildlife corridors, and the incessant use of fertilisers and chemicals that either kill of the natural biota or destroy the natural PH of local environments.

At present there seems to be a shift in the thinking of some primary producers that environmental balance is an imperative to a healthy farm. Mosaic farm lots between natural ecosystems has been given greater merit these days.

This thinking is well overdue and slow but at least it has some recognition, but we’ve got a hell of a way to go yet.

As for Foresty Jack- there is nothing anecdotal about clear felling, ripping up the earth and burning the crap out of every living organism across the land.

Any forester who claims there is nothing happening beneath the ground is blinkered beyond belief. The sub soil interconnectedness of mycorrhizal fungi and symbiotic relationships of root networking is a complex as the human brain or a super computer.

They don’t teach any budding Foresters this stuff in the play yard because it has no economic value to the great scheme of things I suspect.

Of course, despite mass devastation, nature has the incredible ability to restore itself over a period of time but on a larger scale global destruction is impending through human domination. A world-wide ecological collapse is potentially possible through our ignorance over the next generation.

There are a plethora of signs that indicate we are on that very road right now, but as David Suzuki says “ whilst we are all heading for the cliff, we are too busy fight for the seat we are going to be sitting on”

58. Factfinder

August 28, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Plantations in Tasmania and beyond:

Development of improved eucalypt tree seed and more:

59. Tim Thorne

August 28, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Monoculture plantations can never be ecologically sound. Jack Lumber in #10 mentions a few groups who have at times supported eucalyptus plantations in Tasmania for woodchip production. Many of us have vehemently opposed those groups, including the Greens and TWS, on those (and sometimes also on other) grounds.

The key point is whether or not Tasmania’s water, sunlight, soil and air should be used to produce paper, which results in increased carbon in the atmosphere. Whether this happens via native forest harvesting, purpose-planted nitens plantations, or even hemp, is of little import.

Nor does it matter whether the pulp manufacturing part of this process takes place in China, Japan, Long Reach, Hampshire or anywhere else. The atmosphere doesn’t acknowledge borders.

60. Factfinder

August 28, 2016 at 9:09 pm

‘Let’s get the job done!’ is the theme for this years Annual Farm Forestry Dinner / Seminar to be held on Tuesday 30th August at the Best Western Plus Hotel, 3 Earl Street, Launceston.

Guest speakers will include Rob de Fegely, Co-Chair of Forest Industry Advisory Council, Director of Margules Groome Consulting Pty Ltd and newly appointed Chairman of Forestry Tasmania along with Peter Volker, Chief Forest Practices Officer of the Forest Practices Authority, Director and private forest owner.

Proudly presented by Private Forests Tasmania and Australian Forest Growers.

Source: http://www.pft.tas.gov.au/home/home_articles/farm_forestry_dinner_seminar

61. Jack lumber

August 28, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Re 11 Ted
    Glad we can agree on some history and I understand it is current policy of both TWS and Tas greens

It would seem you are against any changes to the landscape and wonder how you feel about agriculture ?

Most credible ecologists understand that there is a balance and the impacts you describe seem to be anecdotal not backed by any data ? I am not saying that individual animals have not been impacted but at a species level what are you referring to and yes I’m ready for all the discussion on parrots , GFC , WTE , Galxus

Can you help me understand which tree species is at risk ?

Now back to Scotland …. Charles more shooting from the lip
    And pray tell should we have Tasexit and be able to prosper on tourism alone ?

Why do I think of bagpipes ?

62. Mr crolly

August 28, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Oh Charles you are so naughty.

So to be clear to be clear, from what you are saying, is that the yardstick which we should measure our future on this planet should be marked with the increments of tourist dollars.

In other words we can have our trees and chip them too. Okidokee. that being sorted lets wipe out the cities, clear out the humans, get rid of the smog and open up a tourist market for aliens. I like this thinkn outside the triangle.

63. Ted Mead

August 28, 2016 at 7:13 pm

#10 – yes Jack – The Greens back around 1990 were promoting plantations on cleared land as a desperate attempt to seek alternatives to native forest logging.

History shows that this was a poorly thought-out policy as the negative impacts of plantations and its associated processes far outweigh impacts of historical native forest logging.

The obvious solution to the issue in Tasmania would be to continue native forest logging through a selective process as was done by the foresters a century ago. Not through an ongoing clearfell and burn regime.

Economics and myopic ideology was, as still is, why FT’s forest practices continue to be the same even though they repeatedly lose $ millions annually.

I, and I suspect most credible ecologists have never been in favour of planting exotics in a native landscape for obvious reasons.

The effects of plantations on natural biota, changes in hydrology and subsequent chemical introduction to the landscape, mammalian life, and water catchments is a curse to Tasmania’s landscape state-wide.

64. Jack Lumber

August 28, 2016 at 5:48 pm

dear #5 . I call BS
    There would not be one member of FT who would claim that the establishment of pine plantations or nitens replicates natural forests .

Are you attempting satire ?

Yes plantations have been established on ex natural forests sites BUT not since 2007-8

Shall we now commence the discussion regarding the promotion of plantations by TWS , Tas Greens, ET , ACF, WWW , FSC etc etc as a substitute for harvesting in natural forests

Instead lets again ask Mr Wooley to explain his scottish reference and why TT describes same as a journalist … infotainer many would suggest , and when the prefix “info” is used , in the way A Current Affair (his Ch 9 sibling ) purveys “information”

65. mike seabrook

August 28, 2016 at 4:01 pm

# 3 christine

the welsh had to chop down the trees so as to have a monopoly and more customers for their coal who would pay higher prices

66. mike seabrook

August 28, 2016 at 3:44 pm

charles – what do you think of a waterhole on the gordon river below the franklin river junction which would surely fix tassies electricity problems.

67. mike seabrook

August 28, 2016 at 3:39 pm

scotland has the english pound and after brexit is probably better off than having the euro and is no doubt pondering a scottish dollar.

tassie has the mainland australian dollar, the welfare dollars flowing copiously never endingly south across bass strait and everything which comes with it – sydney level interest rates and mainland red and green tape which keeps the tassie economy in near recession.

68. mike seabrook

August 28, 2016 at 3:30 pm

forestry has been a large/massive net gain for tassie over the past 10-15 years. Look at all the wealth generated in tassie in so many ways, which tassie would not have otherwise had.

1. the farmers selling land at unreal prices and collecting large amounts (and the councils massive rate increases from those higher values) as royalty on their worthless forest lands particularly if they were near the triabunna woodchip mill

2. all players (employees, managers and suppliers) in the forestry industry which was largely funded by mainlanders etc. who lost nearly the lot. just had to be careful to not be holding the baby when the music stopped.

** who elected those pollies who with their cronies plundered the tassie treasury along the way on forestry matters and who lied/mislead wittingly, deliberately or ignorantly is the big question yet to be resolved with those guilty parties not yet brought to account.

69. Jon Sumby

August 28, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Dear Mr Wooley,

Please let me explain what a residue is.

In any logging coupe about five to eight per cent of the trees are sent to the sawmill to make timber products. The rest, about 90% of the trees, is residue and is only suitable for woodchips; a cheap and low-grade material for export.

The other small percentage is bulldozed into windrows and then burned by helicopters dropping napalm. After this, the coupe is planted with Eucalyptus nitens, a tree native to Victoria and eastern NSW.

Sometimes, the clearfelled native forest coupe is replanted with the Monterey pine (Pinus radiata) from California, USA.

I have had several ‘beer ‘n’ chips’ conversations over the years with Forestry Tasmania scientists who have assured me that this replicates the natural ecological cycles of forests in Tasmania.

But when I have asked about where the undergrowth life, ferns, beetles, fungi, and animals have gone, they have no answer since they are Forestry Scientists. This disturbs me because I don’t mind going for a bushwalk through the magnificent Monterey pine forests of Tasmania, but I do wonder where the echidna and platypus have gone.

Mr Wooley, I would appreciate it if you could perhaps direct your attention to an answer for my question: What happens to all the trivial stuff around the residues; like crayfish, echidna, eagles, parrots, tree ferns, snails, fungi, and seeds?

Unlike residues, these have no economic value or importance so I fear you may not find an answer from Forestry Tasmania. I did not, but I wish you more success.

Yours,
    Jon

70. Ted Mead

August 28, 2016 at 1:59 pm

71. Christine Simons.

August 28, 2016 at 1:22 pm

I have had this epiphany too. Wales also was covered in trees until they were chopped down for the mines. It is amazing how much we humans do not question.

72. Jack lumber

August 28, 2016 at 11:42 am

Love a good bit of satire
    Let me know when you write one
    Of course Charles you would know who was the
    former head of Forestry UK , a Tasmanian .

The forestry sector in Scotland is strong and apart from a trees
    also has pulp and paper ,

I’m sorry I have truly missed the point of the reference
    to Scotland and trust me I appreciate a good joke and a poke at FT who have done some things over the years that are worthy of a good head shake

I’m resting easy as I await others to explain what
    You have written and also laud 60 minutes for the fine journalist entity it is continuing to be .( now that is taking the piss )
    “Legend in a lunchbox and googlebox “

73. Alan Jennison

August 28, 2016 at 11:03 am

We have Queenstown! How magnificent is that? Obviously ahead of their time in that region.