I am extremely pleased tonight to be at the TasICT awards helping celebrate the success stories of the local industry and their contribution to Tasmania.
The ICT sector is an important element of the Tasmanian economy, supporting innovation in service delivery and facilitating economic growth in the broader economy.
The Liberal Government is committed to building stronger links with the technology sector and we are delivering on election policy ‘Growing our Information and Communication Technology Industry’ with more than $2 million provided for in the Budget.
We are now exploring how we can realise value-adding opportunities that open data can provide for Government, business and the community and we will work side by side with the sector to achieve our goal of developing the Tasmanian Cloud.
Feedback from today’s Tasmanian Cloud announcement, attended by 130 people, demonstrates that the ICT sector in Tasmania finally has a real and meaningful connection with the Tasmanian Government.
Tonight’s awards show there is no shortage of innovative local firms to help us create an empowered digital economy and I congratulate all the winners on their success;
• ISW, Best Software Product
• Secret Lab, Best ICT Solution
• Retirement Benefits Fund & CGI, Best ICT Service
• Vodafone, Best ICT Employer
• Comstar Systems, President’s Award for overall excellence in ICT
• MyState Bank, Best Businesses Application of ICT
• Department of Education & CGI, Best Community Application of ICT
• TasmaNet,Telecommunications Award for Excellence
Michael Ferguson, Minister for Information Technology and Innovation