Government facing up to challenges facing forest industry

image
Alan Lesheim

After meeting woodchip buyers in Singapore this morning the Deputy Premier Bryan Green said the facts were irrefutable over the challenges facing Tasmania’s forest industry.

“Mr Hodgman was in the same meetings I was and heard as I did the seriousness of immediate problems we face supplying international markets,” Mr Green said.

“It is clear that if we don’t act to put Tasmania’s forest industry on a secure footing now there will be no industry in the medium to long term.

“A do nothing approach to the forest industry as it stands now is not an option for those businesses suffering as a result of market changes.

“I made it clear at meetings today that the Government will face up to these issues in order to provide certainty for the future.

“What is happening in the market is being made even harder by the high Australian dollar and our distance from markets.

“Given the changing face of forestry in Tasmania with for instance Gunns only using plantation wood it is vitally important that we work towards outcomes through the IGA that give certainty of supply to the broader industry long into the future.

“We look forward to the outcome of the independent verification process and won’t be playing politics like the Liberals because we will take a responsible approach to moving Tasmania and our forest industry forward,” Mr Green said.

Mr Green said the Government would continue to work with the Commonwealth to secure the industry, diversify the economy and grow jobs.

Earlier today on Tasmanian Times: I won’t be silenced on forestry by dinosaurs stuck fast in a swamp

• And Will Hodgman’s report …

Tasmania’s Opposition Leader says day one of the joint trade mission to Asia has shown there is a strong market for Tasmanian woodchips.

Will Hodgman issued an update of his trip after meeting South-East Asian woodchip buyers in Singapore with the Deputy Premier, Bryan Green.

The Opposition Leader says the meetings highlighted the foolishness of protecting more forests under the forest peace deal because, unlike Thailand and Vietnam, Tasmania can offer an ongoing guaranteed woodchip supply.

Mr Hodgman says the pair also met a senior advisor to new Gunns investor, the Richard Chandler Group, and discussed the strong bi-partisan support for a pulp mill in Tasmania.

The two politicians are scheduled to fly to Japan on Tuesday night.

The Australian Ambassador to Japan will hold a business lunch focussing on the market for pulp and paper products on Wednesday.

• Will Hodgman, Wednesday,Singapore meetings:

Meetings today with South East Asian woodchip buyers confirmed that despite current challenges, the medium to long term market for Tasmanian woodchips is strong, because of our secure resource base.

Although there are current competitive pressures from countries such as Thailand and Vietnam, they do not provide the same ongoing guaranteed supply Tasmania does.

This highlights the foolishness of locking up forever half of our forests, simply for short-term political reasons.

I was also pleased to have the opportunity to meet with a senior corporate adviser to the Chandler Group and demonstrate our strong bi-partisan support for the pulp mill.

1. Russell

February 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Re #34
    Talking about furphies! Been there done that. Not true.

2. hugoagogo

February 25, 2012 at 10:00 pm

#33. The old Easter Island treeless furphy.

Youse are so good with Google earth when it comes to Ben Lomond and such, avert your eyes to the SE Pacific and have a look. Plantations of Genuine Tasmanian bluegum.

And you know the reason most of the native trees were cut down in the old days was because frankly, way out there, there was stuff all else to do but carve Moais and chop trees to roll ’em into place. True.

3. William Boeder

February 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm

A simple question for the good folk of Tasmania:

Does this State’s media, (excluding Tas times,) stand behind and or endorse the despotic behaviours and engagements of all those unworthies that make up the Lib/Lab political parties in Tasmania, (those odious unknowing fools, that verily pump-up the wicked destructive death by wood-chipping toward and upon our Unique Old Growth Forests “and in some instances our Ancient Gondwana-land Forests,” then go on to approve of the subsequent Native Wildlife slaughters?)

If I may, a secondary question relating to the same wilful savage destructions:

How often do we read of any articles in and by those above-mentioned media mediums, that could speak out about the death by clear-felling, then in the bulldozing and burning of the habitats and lives of Tasmania’s many varied but now sadly dwindling wildlife species,do actually speak out in support of our wildlife?

4. mjf

February 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm

#25. Lyrebird populations were introduced to Tasmania in the 1940’s from Victoria as a means of conserving the species as they were considered to be under threat in Victoria.

Very much the same theory as being employed now for devil preservation for establishing isolated colonies. Populations were introduced in Mt Field National park and Hastings Caves so your encounter was not far from one of their points of origin, so to speak.

I can confirm they can imitate chainsaws including multiple saws at once. I also witnessed one treed by a pyscho dog one day in pristine, ready to be logged wet schlerophyll (and a magnificent stand it WAS too, but all gone to a better place now). Anyway, the bird replicated the pursuing canine so well, the dog whimpered and retreated after being ‘outsnarled’.

Logging crews also tame these birds and feed them so be careful, they aren’t fussy who they associate with (the birds I mean).

5. pilko

February 23, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Green agenda on forestry peace ‘shafted’, says Milne -Updated February 24, 2012 (ABC news online)

“The Greens are fuming about the Federal Government’s latest change to the forest peace deal. The first $20 million in regional development funding under the deal is no longer conditional on the success of legislation to create new forest reserves.
    Greens Senator Christine Milne says it is a massive breach of faith.
    “The loggers get their money, the regional development money flows and the conservation agenda is shafted.”
    “The people who are being taken for a ride here are the people who negotiated in good faith and believed that for Commonwealth money to be spent there would be conservation outcomes,” she said.
    She says it is an insult to conservation and industry groups which negotiated the $276 million peace deal.
    “What does this mean for the agreement if it can be amended at whim without consultation, without anyone knowing what it means?”
    “I think we’ve got a situation now where we’ve got an intergovernmental agreement that is meaningless.”
    But the Federal Minister Simon Crean says he made the change to put the faltering peace deal back on track.
    “Really, this puts the onus back on those who have still got reservations to say ‘do we want more of this or more of the unrest’?”
    All but three of Tasmania’s 15 MLCs say they will block the legislation unless green groups end their overseas campaigns against Ta Ann Tasmania.
    Of the total funding package, $100 million is still linked to the legislation.
    Mr Crean will meet MLCs this morning to win support for the forest peace deal.
    Huon MLC Paul Harriss says the change to the peace deal will not change the minds of his colleagues.
    “People will see through that, for goodness sake, you know, what does he take us for?”
    “The whole $120 million in regional development money is nothing but a sop anyway and in essence it’s blood money.”
    “We’re talking close to a $1 billion industry in this state and to think that they can replace it with just $120 millions in regional development money is just a joke,” Mr Harris said.

6. Barnaby Drake

February 23, 2012 at 5:11 am

“The Government is endeavouring to reach an agreement through the IGA that supports family-owned sawsmills and the veneer industry.” – Bryan Green.

And I thought the IGA was to give us new reserves, an exit package for Forestry workers and a pulp mill?

How could the ENGOs, conservationists and Bill Kelty all be so wrong?

7. Barnaby Drake

February 23, 2012 at 5:03 am

This is the man Bryan Green and Will Hodgeman are negotiating with today and tomorrow.

Extracts:-

Ta Ann’s Executive Chairman is Datuk Abdul Hamed Sepawi, a billionaire who is also a cousin to the Chief Minister and also Parti Pesaka Bumiputra Bersatu (PBB) Treasurer General.

“Why can’t Ta Ann, which has already owns thousand of hectares of land throughout Sarawak spare some land for the poor natives to make a living?”, asked Harrison. (Counsel)

In 2008, the residents of Rumah Pee Millo was ordered by the court to vacate the land as the said company got an interlocutory injunction which not only prohibits but also requires the residents of Rumah Pee Millo to vacate the said land.

In a joint venture, Sepawi and the Taib family also own hydro works, forests, dams and the power supply in Indonesia.

The connection between Taib and Sepawi families:

The Chairman of the Board of Directors of Sesco,(Electricity Company) coincidentally, just happens to be Taib’s own superbly wealthy cousin, Hamid Sepawi.

The reports of corruption and political connivance between these two families is staggering. A little research will turn up an amazing array of articles.

Despite the direct and indirect subsidies to this company, Ta Ann claims it is operating at a loss in Tasmania and therefore pays no taxes, but nevertheless, Sepawi is one of the top billionaires in Malaysia. When they laid off 40 foreign workers, our politicians rallied behind them to accuse the ‘greenies’ for the failure of their enterprise. Total failure would benefit Tasmania even more, but instead, Green and Hodgeman are off to do more behind-the-scene deals with this company, just to appease the loss-making Forestry and keep them on the public teat for a little longer. Despite the Treasury having been almost emptied by their demands, they still find this the priority blackhole into which to pour the taxes of Tasmanians.

Can you now understand why Ms Etter resigned her position from the Integrity Commission recently?

Enough is surely enough!

Barnaby Drake

8. Garry Stannus

February 23, 2012 at 2:26 am

I liked some of John Steinbeck’s stuff. There was this story, called ‘Johhny Bear’, I think it was. I don’t know how Steinbeck came to write that short story. You know, how some things you hear, or read, ring true. Just like my telling you about that bird on Mt Mueller. Johnny Bear was some bloke who was a simpleton and who resembled a bear in gait and mannerisms. Somehow, he would roam his American town, observe things, un-noticed by those who dismissed him for the simpleton that he was. He would go to the pub and by play acting and repeating certain exchanges that he’d overheard while looking into night-time windows, he’d cadge drinks from those in the bar interested enough to humour him or to learn some gossip.

Steinbeck’s story never left me. Go look it up, any one who wants to. Anyway, some things can mimic the truth. Be it Johnny Bear or a lyre bird on Mt Mueller. Sometimes the truth comes out. Logging in protected areas. While Bryan Green and Will Hodgman swan about. Steinbeck’s is a dark story.

9. Garry Stannus

February 23, 2012 at 2:23 am

…/
    …I had been thinking about the previous afternoon, when I’d seen number of ‘little’ birds flowing through the foliage up at Miranda’s level (60m above me). I had been thinking of an ‘Upstairs – Downstairs scenario, how Miranda can see out over miles of mountains, valleys, hillsides, bush, logged coupes, plantations, sky and clouds. How down below, I could not. How the birds fly and alight all around her. I saw groups of them doing just that in that afternoon.

While I was recalling that scene from the day before, ‘Gluip! Gluip!’ called from nearby. And then again. It was lovely in the wet mist peacefulness. I didn’t know what it was, and in my mind I invented large size birds which could account for the solidity of its call. I should have called it a ‘wood-chuck’, not that I’d have the slightest clue was one of those is, but I’m sure they’d be able to do a strong definitive ‘Gluip! Gluip!’better than anything else in Tas that I was accustomed to.

Things got curious. Whatever the bird was, it then seemed to think it was a Shrike Thrush! Jock-Witty! Duke of Wellington! Volume and penetration was appropriate. I was just vaguely beginning to pay attention to it, while accessing a firelighter, some dry tinder, sticks etc to get a breakfast fire going. Then I heard a Black Cocky. It seemed to be calling from about the same place as the Shrike Thrush. I love a Black Cocky call. It is wild and free. The white (sulphur crested) cocky can go to hell for all I care – I just don’t like the sound of its voice. But our Black Cocky is SENSATIONEL!

I was getting a bit confused, because I also heard some terrific melodic stuff, like what a blackbird would do. Same place again! 100m from my spot below Miranda’s tree sit. I didn’t know what on earth could be doing that. Do they have blackbirds on the slopes of Mt Mueller? Then I heard a Currawong, like the others, just from the same place as the others, about 100m away from me, on the hill below Miranda.

I started listening. This was some bird, it was just one bird! Doing these calls! I know you’ll be rolling your eyes (Gees Garry’s always three hours behind the play, naive, wears blinkers and all that) but I never heard of a ‘Gluip! Gluip!’ bird before, and here it was, unless I was on a flashback from 1971. And this one was an impersonator, doing the currawong, shrike thrush, black cocky, etc. Did I mention the rosellas? Gees! It was all happening.

Then Rick, that stupid bird, started going crazy. There began the distant sound of machinery coming from its mouth, all of 100m away from me in the slowly lightening sky, there on Mt Mueller. One machinery noise was a fast hammering, one after another, yet interspersed with currawong clink clink noise. I’ve heard that noise before elsewhere: it’s one of those things that clank clank, maybe debark trees after picking them up, I dunno, I don’t know what they do exactly, but I’ve heard them on logging coupes. Like on the coupe that didn’t have a permit next to me in Liffey. The one where they ended up logging my land. That was just before Christmas. They can go to hell.

There was also some other machinery noise, maybe it was a truck coming up the hill, not with gear changing, but with a change in the pitch of the revs. I was hearing a bird that was mimicking all the significant noises that occurred in its habitat. I didn’t hear a chainsaw call, or if I did, I missed it. All the time the other calls were being mixed in. All from 100m away.

While I was there I’d been talking to Miranda up the top via walkie talkie, but first doing a Coouee! to let her know to turn it on (rather than waste the batteries by leaving it on all the time). Strike me dead Pilko, but when I heard that bird call ‘Coouee’, in imitation of myself, it was one of those ‘experiences that you never forget’. But I will. Just about did. Till I saw our #23 and started writing and then one thought led to another.

I sent a note up to Miranda with her hot water for some tea, and I asked her (the batteries on the walkies had gone flat) if she’d heard it. She told me that in the south there had been lyre birds released and that it might have been one of them. Okay, so it’s not a native. But isn’t it incredible that there, on the slopes of Mt Mueller, is a bird which has learnt the sound of logging equipment! How insane that it can replicate the sound of logging machinery or the sound of a young currawong calling its mother for food. How insane that a lone bird on the slope of Mt Mueller can bear vocal testimony to the breach of the (TF)IGA, to the moratorium you have when you don’t have a moratorium. Could a bird give evidence in court? Could it be taken inside and induced to call and thereby incriminate FT for the breach of the IGA?

10. Garry Stannus

February 23, 2012 at 2:19 am

Hi Pilko (#23) Everyone knows the moratorium came into effect a year or two ago with the Forest Principles agreement, and then next under the Tasmanian Forests Inter Governmental Agreement, the 572k ha were given immediate interim protection and within that the 430 were given ultra protection under Clause 27.

Everyone knows that the roading and the logging DID NOT STOP. Okay, so a couple of weeks ago I was up there behind Mt Barrow and saw what was going on there, in spite of the moratorium. And then last weekend I dropped in at Mt Mueller. I think I must have been tripping. In front of me, as I climbed and climbed, I saw coupe after coupe WITHIN the 430 knocked down and stacked, some of it for Ta Ann and some of it for burning. Dunno where the rest went. I thought, ‘Gees this is good acid, it almost seems to be real’, but I knew it wasn’t, because of the Moratorium, the IGA and all that stuff about immediate interim protection.

Mate! I knew I was tripping when after sleeping at the base of the Observer Tree last Sat, I woke to the sound of rain before light and a strong bird call about 100m away from me. It got repeated a number of times. Then after the daylight came, a curious thing happened. ‘Scuse me while I get out my notes…

11. Russell

February 22, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Re #23
    Anyone who thought any different was kidding themselves. History repeats.

12. pilko

February 22, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Well, well, well.

Just as I predicted the push is on to take the money and keep the forests open for logging. Crean told us today he had ‘changed the IGA rules and the first $20M of IGA money will be a freebie’ -no strings attached.

How much does that add up to so far in IGA freebies? And still not so much as a single leaf protected.

Nick Mckim can make all the threats he likes about IGA money needing to be repaid if the Upper house doesnt pass the reserves. However even today Simon Crean thumbed his nose at Mckim and showed that the feds will do what they goddamn like.

You only have to ask Christine Milne about the chances of logging grants money being paid back. Ask Milne how much DAFF has recouped from the rorted Howard govt CFA? A miniscule amount. Once its handed over we wont see it again and the MLC’s, the libs and all the mates are banking on that. This is where the IGA is headed unless the Greens find an awfully big bargaining chip.

And do you reckon Simon Crean hasnt got RDA workin overtime to help Gunns?

13. Garry Stannus

February 22, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Flash: (#20), under Dewey Decimal, we’d put them on the shelf at 567.994 … and then we’d weed them. We wouldn’t give them away for nothing, since we’ve worked out that people won’t take crappy books that have a ‘FOR FREE’ sign. So we stick up a 5c Each sign, and guess what!

Then again, a revered-by-some library convention is to gracefully retire important old books into the ‘Stack’ where they remain and very occasionally (every four years?) they get pulled back into the light of day for some wandering researcher. “Mein Kampf’, “History of the Australian Labor Party” and “The Howard Years”.

How am I doing, Flash?

14. john hayward

February 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Has anyone considered the consequences of losing our export woodchip industry?

l. Decrease in forestry waste burns.
    2. Diversion of resources to public services
    3. Hardship to traditional baksheesh recipients.
    4. Increase of endangered vermin
    5. Trees going wild.
    6. Unemployment for Bob Gordon.

There are plenty more. Lets hope Bryan and Will can find a buyer at a price higher than the zero paid by FT for its 99,000ha of formerly Crown land freehold.

John Hayward

15. Flash

February 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Re #3

You missed part of the equation garry,

LIB LABS = DINOSAURS

Yep, That looks more like it!!

16. pilko

February 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Financial Analyst Patricia Chew from RBS Morgans (not sure where she is based) has told the ABC this a.m that Richard Chandler has said (today, yesterday??) he ‘may dump the pulp mill’.

Chew said ‘Gunns share price has responded positively’ today.

I expect we should hear more on this.

I wonder if this info was relayed to tweedle dee & tweedle dumb when they met with Chandler corp reps this week? Was that why Bryan was so coy on the details of that meeting?

17. Liila

February 21, 2012 at 11:13 pm

HI Tigerquoll,

Nice to hear from you! Grassroots is the way of the future; bottom-up economy is what it is about. Future Tasmania supports grass-roots inspired socio-economic change, based on cooperative development, decentralisation, local empowerment, local initiatives! We support research into taxation and other legislative changes that will allow cooperative economics to thrive in times of change. We oppose the export of raw materials, which puts the profits into the hands of multinationals, and support one world government, based on ethical leadership and universal values!

Trond’s talk on PROUTist economics, a global, grass-roots movement, was SUPER-inspiring. Please check his website: http://www.proutglobe.org.

All best wishes and see you at the forum?

Liila 🙂

18. Pete Godfrey

February 21, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Will Hodgeman said that he wanted to demonstrate strong bi partisan support for the pulp mill to the Chandler Corporation.
    I think that we need to re jig that statement.
    Lets re name bi partisan to “Mono Partisan”.
    Liberal and Labor party policies are identical in so many areas that we should and do call them one party. So Mono Partisan would describe them aptly.

19. Bob McMahon

February 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I hope Bryan and Will enjoyed their little soiree with Ben Gray. Home away from home for all three.

20. Russell

February 21, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Re #13
    Don’t forget: no market (unless you are giving it away), no profit, no social licence, no community support (or consultation), no more annual multi-million dollar handouts, and no future for woodchips or pulp in far away Tasmania.

21. john hawkins

February 21, 2012 at 11:33 am

Having listened to Green on Compton’s show this morning and read Hodgman above one of them is wrong and both are spinning proably out of control.

Chandler Corporation are performing due diligence on Gunns this will be interesting as those dear old skeletons rattle in the cupboards.

Skeletons such as, Critically non compliant,no FSC ever over plantations on cleared Native Forest,no maintenance on existing plantations,no cost benefits,….. i see a shiver,a cold chill up the spine.

22. Karl Stevens

February 21, 2012 at 10:31 am

The government supports ‘family owned saw mills’ and Malaysian Sharia law-owned veneer mills? Good one Bryan. I’m sure you and Chandler Corp would have gotten on very well. You have so much in common.

23. Dave Groves

February 21, 2012 at 9:06 am

Bryan, you have it wrong.

They may tell you its all about market forces, but you know it is really about eco terror and the Green scourge.

Keep trying to flog the pulp mill.

With Willy strapped to your side you are sure to impress those Asians and if that fails, put Willy out front.

A Liblab tour de force will magically snap anyone to life who has been asleep for the last eight years and has a few billion to splash on an outdated pulp mill design, sited on the wrong side of the world, which will never be able to compete in world markets.

But just keep trying Bryan, cause its what Tasmanians do best.

Keep failing by doing the same thing they have always done….groundhog day.

You have more chance of getting a ciggie factory up and running or perhaps a nuclear waste dump.

24. phill Parsons

February 21, 2012 at 8:48 am

Were they reallly at the same meetings?. They must have been especially attuned to hear only what they believe will be of the most benefit to each.

25. William Boeder

February 21, 2012 at 1:12 am

Tigerquoll. So glad to see that you recognize the real dilemma facing Tasmania.
    Life in Tasmania has to be more than the unwise ways of Bryan Green and his stupid fetish for pumping up the wood-chipping the States Wonderland Forests.
    I have in the past submitted letters of suggestion to our State government for other industries and employment objectives, with the then provided aid of the federally funded Irrigation schemes to the midlands proposal, to create a light primary production industry, supplemental Wind Energy, the expansion of Tasmania’s Marine Fish Farms, (not so much toward the excessive use of chemical and anti-bacterial components that are going to cause later problems for this same industry,) then of the re-creation of our former rail system.

These letters were forwarded to David Llewellyn back when the push was on by the government of that era when wholly intent to wood-chip each and all of our Crown Land forest estates via the infidels of Forestry Tasmania and Gunns Ltd.

Even had a chat with Bryan Green back some 3 or so years ago hoping to create different forms of industry, (so to employ the increasing number of disenchanted timber industry workers and those whom were being retrenched as a result of the greater use of mechanical means that were inevitably overtaking so many former long term employment positions,) nooo, there was not too much enthusiasm shown by “everybody’s maate” on that occasion.

So, until some robust body of serious determined proud personages is set into action toward the full revocation of the now deeply plaguing and rebellious Forestry Tasmania GBE, we go nowhere at all.
    (They with all their special exemptions, their supplemental government funding, their infiltrated infestation into the lofty realms of Tas Inc, their incapacity to provide proper authenticated accurate financial data, (despite an executive board loaded with highly qualified bean-counters, though seemingly of questionable and mysterious purposes, their often lowly descent into the ubiquitous “Commercial in Confidence mates deals,” all this is going on throughout its realm of operations, yes the misdemeanor list goes on and on…. Disappointingly nobody will stand tall to aid Tasmania to rid itself of its self-serving league of carpet-baggers and upper-level influentials.

The forestry industry facade here of Forestry Tasmania, in our Tasmania, of which is more of a personal guaranteed income scheme for its top ranks rather than a fully regulated, profit orientated, sound stand-alone business operation.

EG: when do the names of these silent almost unseen luminaries and or beneficiaries, ever appear in the news for reasons of accomplishments and provisioning for this State and to aid its necessary revenues?

There are none so blind as those whom are comfortably ensconced (hooked) into their self-inflating prominent none-answerable positions within the State government of Tasmania!

26. Steve

February 20, 2012 at 11:55 pm

1; You’re presuming that Green can read. This may be an error of judgement.

27. Barnaby Drake

February 20, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I thought Gunns closed most of the family owned sawmills down?

Perhaps he means the Sepawi family or the Taib family?

Pity Forestry is so dependent on their veneerial supply to survive. Be nice if they too could read the IGA and if the politicians stopped addressing rallies as though they are an endangered species, when, unlike others, they are wrapped in Julia’s cottonwool of $270 million.

28. Simon Warriner

February 20, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I hate to be picky, but after reading that load of polly waffle I am no wiser to what it is, exactly, that is the problem.

It is my view that what ever we are paying for this man, it is way, way too much.

Perhaps the Hodgechild could let us in on the secret?

29. john hawkins

February 20, 2012 at 11:24 pm

NO FSC,

No Gunns ,

No Ta Ann,

No Forestry Tasmania,

All potential customers in SE Asia will tell Green this simple truth but he will not listen for only the mantra of “log it and flog it,” is written into his DNA.

Hodgman might learn why Tasmania cannot sell woodchips provided Green lets him anywhere near a a real live customer.

30. Judith King

February 20, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Bryan Green’s report of these meetings doesn’t mention a pulp mill included in discussions whereas the report from Hodgman http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-21/opposition3a-asia-wants-tasmanian-woodchips/3842928?section=tas/ said they both met with Chandler Corp about bipartisan support for the pulp mill.

Mr Green is withholding information from the Tasmanian public…why? What is he trying to hide and what is he up to?

31. Garry Stannus

February 20, 2012 at 11:04 pm

HODGMAN and GREEN = LIB LABS.

32. Anne Cadwallader

February 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Well, Tigerquoll rocks. Can’t improve on that.
    Except the non to subtle subtext right at the start of Green’s release – basically saying “at last Michael Hodgman can see what we are up against – on a hiding to nowhere”.

Sounds like Hodgman’s inclusion on the trip was to tie him into the realities, and prevent him saying “here’s what we are going to do when we’re elected”. Because he can’t.

Expensive way to get nowhere though, from a taxpayers viewpoint. Again Tigerquoll is right. When do these guys actually get to earn their considerable salaries. How many nurses do we get for a Minister?

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Receive our newsletter