Environment

Labor extends pulp mill permit

LEGISLATION has been introduced into State Parliament today to extend the permit for Gunns Ltd’s proposed $2.2 billion Bell Bay pulp mill until August 30, 2011.

Energy and Resources Minister, David Llewellyn, said the extension would clarify the legal status of the Pulp Mill Approval Permit and allow the company to “substantially commence the project”.

“This amendment in no way alters or weakens the environmental criteria that the mill has to meet.”

Mr Llewellyn said that at the time the Pulp Mill Assessment Act was passed it was not thought necessary for it to contain a date at which the Permit would cease to exist.

“Nor was it considered necessary to specifically address provisions relating to the expiry of permits, licences or other approvals contained in other Acts that may apply to the Pulp Mill.

“Last month the Government received advice from the Solicitor-General that uncertainty had arisen about whether the pulp mill permit had an expiry date, and if so, whether the date had passed.

“There are differing legal views about this issue that, without legislative clarification, could only be resolved by a court.”

Mr Llewellyn said that because of the size and complexity of the project and it not going ahead as fast as envisaged, clarifying legislation was needed to end the legal uncertainties.

“In addition, without legislation to clarify the legal uncertainty regarding the lapse of approvals contained in the Pulp Mill Permit, it would be difficult for statutory regulators to regulate the project.”

Mr Llewellyn said that given the complexity and size of the project, it was reasonable to extend the Pulp Mill Permit until August 30, 2011.

“The legislation will also make it clear that any permits under LUPAA that may be deemed to have lapsed, have not lapsed.

Read more here

1. Steve

November 9, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Don, I identify myself on every post. No, it’s not actually my name but I’ve never posted under any other so unless you know me outside of this site what difference does it make?
    I don’t believe I’ve a gnat in my ear in regards to you or anyone else. If I reply to a comment of yours it is generally, but not always, in the interests of furthering the discussion. As in the current case.
    Building a house out of timber does not mean it’s more at risk in a fire. Those who say so work on fairly basic logic. Wood burns, therefore should not be used. Actually the most inflammable stuff in most houses is the synthetics.
    In commercial construction, wooden beams have proved superior to steel and concrete in fires. Wood hangs on whilst the others let go. There were a couple of good examples of this in the USA a few years ago.
    I’m sorry, but I don’t agree we should stop all timber production. I think that’s a very silly view that would have very little broad support. I’d much rather support reclaiming Lake Pedder.
    Not sure if I’m the Steve who was “dealt with”. What does “dealt with” entail and I’ll tell you if I notice it happening?

2. Steve

November 8, 2009 at 2:47 pm

56; I wasn’t aware that there was a termite problem in Tasmania? Even in termite prone areas, correct building techniques pretty much take care of them.
    I can’t see why suggesting that we should value quality timber more highly is idealistic hogwash. Perhaps you should explain why in a bit more detail.
    No, I’m not “woodworker” but I certainly agree with many of the points he puts forward. The difference is that he’s putting forward his arguments to put a glossy appearance on what’s actually happening. Basically he maintains that we have to keep clear felling and woodchipping in order to maintain a supply of quality timber.
    I disagree with this as I know that much of the timber currently chipped could be converted into quality timber.
    For the record I support a sustainable, accountable, and smaller volume timber industry. Such an industry would provide more employment, do far less damage and also keep far more of the profits in Tasmania.

3. Russell

November 8, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Re #57
    Thanks d.d., will have a look for them

4. Steve

November 7, 2009 at 10:44 pm

53; What on earth is wrong with using natures best building material?
    Steel framing? Haven’t you ever heard of embedded energy. You don’t actually think they dig 75 x 32 steel studs out of the ground do you?
    Timber houses lock up carbon very effectively.
    If good quality timber was more valued in our community there’d be a damn sight less of it going off to the chipper!

5. Russell

November 7, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Re #53
    d.d., I’ve never heard of or even seen “Delsey” rolls. Where can I see or buy them? The more alternatives to Woollies and Coles I can find, the better. Dunny paper’s one of them.

Also, I think it’s more like 20,000,000 bums, rather than “homes”, lol.

And, as one very helpful postie contractor advised me, you must write “Only addressed mail” on your letterbox. If you put “No junk mail” on it you will still get political and Australia Post advertising crap.

6. bloke

November 5, 2009 at 4:53 pm

@ Don #48.

First paragraph of the letter as published;

“We must demand Forestry Tasmania stops using public money to decimate public forest and facilitate the profits of Gunns.”

I gather that was edited from “We must demand Forestry Tasmania stops using public money to decimate public forest while facilitating the profit’s of Gunns.”

Well, at least I hope it was?

7. phill Parsons

November 5, 2009 at 8:19 am

How will those opposed to the Pulp Mill Approval Act in the Legislative Council vote on this one.

They are one fewer so now Jamieson has been replaced by Gaffney.

8. Steve

November 4, 2009 at 11:22 pm

44; Thanks Don, usually I’m just a wanker, now I’m an ARROGANT PRICK. I’m not sure, but I think this is a promotion.
    Does it ever occur to you, as you send off this abuse, that I, and most others, have never accused you of being anything other than a fool. Fools have an established place in history, every village has one, why not every website?
    Perhaps you should consider what people are saying before drawing from your very limited and unimaginative bag of abuse?
    The point of this thread was to comment on the extension of pulp mill permits. I’ll plead guilty to being off topic, but, remember, I did point out that today was Guy Fawkes day. Anyone know where you can buy a barrel of gunpowder these days?

9. Tom Torquemada

November 4, 2009 at 8:02 pm

There is no need for it Don.
    An intelligent man can put forward a sound and reasoned argument.
    Any fool can swear.

10. Tom

November 4, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Ann #38, I do not think swearing is out of order, just that Karen has asked if it is appropriate in this forum and if it is achieving anything, and I think she did so sensibly.

#44, No one jumped on you or demanded that you shut up. Karen expressed an opinion and asked for something politely. Don’t have to agree with her or more obviously grant her request, but yelling a bit less might improve your comprehension.

#45 I have to agree, I do wish I did not have to continually wade through the same old tiresome self-righteous self-adulating crap tread after thread.

Here it comes …

11. bloke

November 4, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Oh Don #44… Must it always be about you?

Congrats on getting a letter published in The Merc by the way. Tho I gather it was suitably censored prior to publish….

12. Russell

November 4, 2009 at 8:54 am

By extending the Pulp Mill permits date once again, after stating no more Government help more than a year ago, Tasmanian Labor Premier David “Backdoor” Bartlett has comprehensively given Tasmanians the finger. Up yours, bastards!

And, after months of ‘no business,’ a raft of anti-social and pro-Pulp Mill legislation is being fast tracked through parliament at the 11th hour before the next election.

Lesson to be learned David “Backdoor” Bartlett, even the former Australian Prime Minister John Howard can lose his “safe seat” to a dancing prancing nobody whom we have not heard from since.

And, wasn’t he also in Government for a painful and extremely divisive 11 long years?

Bring it on.

13. Peter Rundall

November 4, 2009 at 2:01 am

It’s like an extended punishment. There is no end in sight. The favoured few are supposed to be winners. The losers are big time and numbers are growing.

The plan for Tasmania is so well orchestrated that the folly can’t be grasped in its enormity. The precedent is monumental in the global carbon emergency. Markets will decide on greener pulp when it becomes a survival issue.

We and our kids must throw a boomerang out there pleading for help from the world. Our children and grandchildren have already lost by the master plan that can’t be turned back by our community alone.

Born and raised here, if circumstances permitted, I would rather be anywhere than an island of winners and losers. For now, I’ll shed another tear.

14. Garry Stannus

November 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Karen #25
    An informative comment.

Your:

“Combined with the ability of Section 11 to stop people from appealing against the effects upon them of the mill prior to its contruction and operation, only after, we can again remind ourselves of how malignant this Tassie-specific Act is”

is a very succinct way of describing that Section.

And yes, Section 8 is real triumphalist stuff: “My new bully-boy law makes any other law invalid” and Section 9 is more of the same.

All in all, Sections 7-11 of the PMAA 2007 represent the attempts of these pro-mill parliamentarians – hollow men and women – to dismantle every conceivable legislative and regulatory instrument which might be used to impede the progress of the project. It was a case of ‘we have the power, we have the might’. How sad that the Upper House, because it too desired the mill, was prepared to sanction the wholesale repudiation of our states’s planning and regulatory requirements by voting to accept this rotten PMAA 2007.

It’s not a very large piece of legislation, fellow Tas Timers if you haven’t looked for yourself, why not have a peek now? …
    Pulp Mill Assessment Act 2007
    cond=ALL;doc_id=4++2007+AT@EN
    +20090927080000;histon=;prompt=;
    rec=;term=pulp mill assessment act

15. Anne Layton-Bennett

November 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Couldn’t agree more Tom #32. Language is a wonderful thing, and the English language especially is rich in descriptive nuances. I do agree however that this mill issue renders one ever more speechless with each grovelling, brown-nosed and sycophantic statement this appalling excuse for a government makes. And it does tend to result in the release of a spontaneous spray of four-letter word invective, which is immensely satisfying for the writer, although clearly a little challenging for those more sensitive souls who read it. Perhaps they should just avert their eyes, while recognising that TasTimes provides a community service by allowing its readers to vent their anger, frustration and increasing despair in a safe and moderated forum. Those who continue in their determination to promote this loathed and despised project would do well to remember this, because it’s becoming increasingly obvious that the level of community pain is rising, and emotions are running dangerously high. Llewellyn, Bartlett, Aird and their cohorts are remarkably slow learners. This mill will NEVER be accepted, and the Tasmanian community will NEVER cease in their determination to stop it being built. Ever.

16. Steve

November 3, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Doesn’t take long for a thread attacking the government to turn to inter-poster bickering. Well done Don, you managed it without DKB’s help!
    Sort of back on topic, I thought I should point out that tomorrow’s the day set aside to celebrate the only man to enter parliament with honest intentions. Look what happened to him!

17. phill Parsons

November 3, 2009 at 7:43 pm

backdoor becomes backflip [aka flip flop]

18. dave

November 3, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Make sure you ring Mr Llewelyns office (especially those in the Lyons electorate) and ask him what happened to the promises the Premier made to the people of Tasmania last year.
    Be sure not to be foul or abusive and report back to TT on the response given to you.

David Llewelyns Office: 03) 6233 6454

1/33a Cole St. Sorell
    Ph. (03) 6233 6454

Green Point Service Centre,
    28 Green Point Road, Bridgewater 7030 Ph. (03) 6268 4267

20. Tom

November 3, 2009 at 5:42 pm

How hard is it to take a little bit of criticism constructively? Karen is not attacking anyone, her suggestion seems sensible, compelling and polite.

21. Karen Enkelaar

November 3, 2009 at 4:55 pm

d.d, #29 and #30, I did not presume to tell you what to do, at all: I asked if there was any chance you could drop the swearing invective directed at people personally? This does nothing for your argument, and I agree with you, it is a turn off for people reading this site.

“So long, and thanks for all the fish.”

22. Dave Groves

November 3, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Karen…(26), thank you for reading my comment and your reply to it.

If you have followed any of my work on this site over the last 5 years you will find very little in the way of what may be deemed as offensive regarding language as I find it does little to add value to the comment, but in this case I make exception.

Be aware of the ramifications of what this man has foisted upon the people of this state and for generations to come.

Words in fact fail me.

Keep up the good fight.

Dave

23. Concerned Resident

November 3, 2009 at 3:20 pm

This is an utter disgrace!!! Whose Island is it? It seems that it belongs to Gunns…I wonder what will happen to all Gunns party faithfuls when the island is no longer habitable by humans. Now we will find out if the Liberals are Gunns party faithfuls or not when this comes before the upper house to be passed or refused. With the destructiopn of forests, we get drought…with the use of the atrazines, we get polluted waterways if they still exist… With the crap that goes into the oceans, we get poisoned fish. The wildlife will be poisoned and become extinct. With forestry burns, the air won’t be fit for breathing. It just goes to show how stupid and gullible our leaders are, I wonder what the rewards promised are.
    So all the rich people, from the Gunns gov’t will have nothing and their future generations will also have nothing. They can’t take their money with them…SO LEAVE OUR ISLAND ALONE…ROLL ON ELECTIONS.

24. Karen Enkelaar

November 3, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Dave #1 and d.d #24, express your feelings of incredulity and anger, of course, but any chance of dropping the invective swearing from your posts? This site ain’t a pub.

25. Karen Enkelaar

November 3, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Who listened to our Resources Minister Mr Llewellyn remind listeners on ABC radio this morning with Tim Cox, of how Section 8 of the Pulp Mill Assessment Act 2007 (I believe this applies to Section 9 more specifically?) overrides all other Acts and planning schemes?

I interpreted this to be a reminder that the government is able to amend the PMAA when, and as, it needs to; in this case, to extend the permit for another potentially torturous two years, or, in other words, for as long as Gunns needs to get the mill up, etc., etc., etc.

Combined with the ability of Section 11 to stop people from appealing against the effects upon them of the mill prior to its contruction and operation, only after, we can again remind ourselves of how malignant this Tassie-specific Act is.

Combine that with a reminder of Mr Gay’s opinion that the mill “MUST” be built in the Tamar Valley. Why? For economic convenience for Gunns, of course. Bugger the concerns of other people in the valley; they are of no consequence!

This timely adjustment to the PMAA is again another reminder of why the Tamar mill suffers from such a bad public image, and what’s worse, these two gentlemen don’t care. Poor management, and poor attitude towards people? Moi? Who cares, as long as the mill gets up!

Again there is no scope for compromise, no time for consultation with the community for a more acceptable solution, because yet again, we are TOLD – not just reminded – that what Gunns wants, Gunns gets.

26. Stephani

November 3, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Anyone who is interested in protesting against this horror, please go to http://www.pulpthemill.org . We need to show the Tasmanian Government what we truly think of them and this bill. Now, not after they have started construction,because then it will be too late.

27. john hayward

November 3, 2009 at 12:45 pm

It may lack music or humour, but the Pulp Mill Clarification Bill is clearly a production inspired by Gilbert and Sullivan.

Here is a bill which summarily excludes any legal challenge to John Gay’s vision of riches, acknowledging the existence of environmental issues only if they don’t don’t have any legal implications. Yes, that’s the story line.

Anyone without any lingering doubts about the ethical bankruptcy of the legal profession will enjoy their chorus of complete silence at the point where all their professed principles are fed into the pulp mill boilers.

John Hayward

28. Rocky

November 3, 2009 at 11:08 am

When concern mixes with frustration and turns to anger. When your anger is ignored and the bullies push once to often, what is next?
    I simply cannot comprehend the blatant actions of this Government who must have some comprehension of the lies, corruption and politcal bastardry that has surrounded this stinking mill proposal for the last four years.

The mind works in overtime to get some smidgen of understanding as to the thought processess that these morons utilize. For the ordinary citizen there are no answers to this question, no understanding, just more confusion and even deeper frustration.
    What is the mind set that can publicly commit to no further support of the Gunns Mill, then repeatedly and with ‘political’ sincerity, introduce legislation so diametrically opposed to their promises?

What are the forces that cause most politicians to blindly support this cruel Mill proposal in spite of the sheer abundance of truth opposing it? Surely they have some remnants of humanity left that would stare back at them each morning from the bathroom mirror? Or is the Party brainwashing so complete that such things as Llewellyns smile are really genuine?
    We watch, with no amusement, as we see this conversion work so quickly on potential LibLab candidates who go from “definately against the Pulp Mill” to “the Pulp Mill will be good if it meets all the regulations”. Whose regulations?

Perhaps we are the ones who are looking through the fog of our despair and do not comprehend that all major party candidates must first meet the Gunns Criteria.

29. Christopher Purcell

November 3, 2009 at 10:38 am

Backdoor Bartlett & his Labor mates have crossed the line. Time for action.

30. Philip Lowe

November 3, 2009 at 10:27 am

Nicholas Monsoratt once said of South Africa,’a beautiful country poisoned with politics.’
    I was reminded of this whilst observing the
    schonky shenanagins that are taking place in Tasmania.’Twas ever thus?
    If there was enough money in it,would Tasmania be sold to the Chinese?

31. phill Parsons

November 3, 2009 at 8:05 am

A 22 month exrtension begs the question why 22 months.

Did the permit, or part therof lapse last August?.

Is this extension the result of backdoor’s trip to Canberra with his performing poodles?.

Given that the government has become enthralled by this dumb and dirty outdated pulpmill is a permit in perpetuity impossible to grant?.

And, of course, what happems at the end of the 22 month period if we are still waiting?.

32. Garry Stannus

November 3, 2009 at 2:02 am

Dirty dogs
    Reprehensible
    The shells of one-time human beings
    With pens and suits and lying eyes

The lies
    The breaches
    The promises
    The line in the sand.

My promise:
    You will never be forgiven
    You will travel this island
    from this day on
    hated in every corner
    despised for your cupidity
    ridiculed for your moral cowardice.

Your time is over.
    The dying days
    the frantic moves
    the last minutes efforts

trying to cement the future
    while your present crumbles
    your sands of time are running out
    and you thought you could halt the tides

as if years of wrong doing can be undone
    by yet another trick.

Go
    you are worm food

Go
    eat the swill you deserve

Go.

33. Tom

November 3, 2009 at 12:05 am

And the LibLabs are continuing to lick the ass of a dead horse. Priceless!

34. Jeremy Davis

November 2, 2009 at 11:15 pm

“The Government has shown with its extensive reform agenda that it is prepared to confront issues [that stand in the way of Gunns’ pulp mill] and deal with them quickly and decisively,” Mr Llewellyn said.

Obviously business as usual here in Gunnsmania.

35. Daniel Ferguson

November 2, 2009 at 11:04 pm

At what point, does this government remind itself that this pulp mill is not a state owned business, needing proactive life support government intervention and legislation. It is a public company owned by private investors! I have never witnessed such an improper relationship between government and business ever before in my life. We the taxpayer have no recourse to input into the management of Gunns, yet we continually pay their bills! Why do we have a government prepared to habitually ingratiate itself to this third world mentality industry? Its embarrasing to be Tasmanian, especially after watching the latest screening of Foreign Correspondent and seeing the effects of a progressive Danish government and how their policies have embraced the challenges of their situations and dealt with them in an intelligent manner. Not happening here,… too much greed, apathy and ignorance.

36. Real Change

November 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Tasmania November 2009- the place where anger and disgust turns now into hatered.
    As if the think they can just grab and keep squeezing and the locals will just become silent and trimmed.
    Bartlett the arrogant liar, Llewellyn the sadist, Aird the greedy gambler…

They will be remembered for what they have done to us, and people will become creative! What will it take to end this madness?
    What does it take?

37. Faulconrod

November 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm

When are the Tasmanian people going to wake up to the fact that they are being taken for a ride by a NAZI dictatorship! What an apathetic bunch of morons we are.

38. David Mohr

November 2, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Wow a new tactic to save Gunns Ltd’s falling share price introduce legislation stringing out the pulp mill fiasco for another two years!!

39. Stephan

November 2, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Ahhhh yes, here we see a perfect example of democracy at work. Government by the people and for the people. NOT!!!!!!

“The Government has shown with its extensive reform agenda that it is prepared to confront issues and deal with them quickly and decisively,” Mr Llewellyn said. Just WHO is kidding who here? Introducing legislation that stops basic rights. Propping up a divisive development by giving it extensions of time and going in to bat for it time and again and this is called DECISIVE???!!!!! Yeah, right.

40. Annie

November 2, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Utter, utter bastadry!

But it DOES reveal that there is probably no funding anywhere on the horizon.

Roll on GFC phase 2

41. amyb

November 2, 2009 at 7:56 pm

How cool is this? Actually being alive at this precise time and being able to witness the process of a species actively and belligerently driving itself into extinction.

A few complete idiots up front and the rest of the lemmings just following them blindly and unquestioningly over the cliff.

42. Pete Godfrey

November 2, 2009 at 7:41 pm

The Gunnerment have shown no such thing. They have no reform agenda, they created the mess this State is in and are too lax and uncreative to do anything other than look at their flat hands after having sat on them for the last 11 years.

As far as extending the time line for the pulp mill, what was the “line in the sand about”
    Oh yep that was it, it was a line to show how far sea levels were rising how could I forget.
    What happened to the “Our Company will lose $1million per day if the mill does not begin to be built by the 1st August 2007.
    Yep another lie stone that has been passed.
    So far we have had nothing but bullshit from the company and government over this project.
    Time to call an early election.

43. Charles and Claire Gilmour

November 2, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Bartlett’s about to drop dead, apparently … but then again one can’t believe any public commitment he makes in regards to the Gunns pulp mill.

August 30, 2008, The Australian
    ‘David Bartlett yesterday stood by his decision to end government support for the mill, including a sovereign risk agreement, if Gunns has not started construction and locked in finance by November 30’(2008).

“… I’m not intending to break those commitments I’ve made”, Bartlett said.
    “… a drop-dead date of November 30 and I stand by that commitment … It will not be extended beyond that date.”

‘Mr Bartlett said he remained of the view that after four years of divisive debate, Tasmanians deserved ‘closure’ on the issue by Christmas (2008).’

However, apparently after a cock-up of year later, the best Back Door Barty can deliver for Christmas this year, is to find another line to cross, another back door, so to grovel at the feet of Gunns further. He’s set the integrity bench mark so low, not even a snake could slither under it.

November 3, 2009 ABC Online
    Bartlett introduces ‘Pulp mill clarification bill’.
    “Gunns will be given until the end of August 2011 to ‘substantially commence’ work on the project. Bartlett said, “my message today to Gunns is, get on with it.”

Who is this bloke?
    he’s either a damn good deceptive con artist and liar;
    he’s so weak he would humiliate himself and Tasmanians to pleasure Gunns;
    he’s so cocky and full of himself he doesn’t believe he needs to stand by his commitments;
    he’s got an inherent labor behavioral problem, which self assassinates his own character;
    or quite likely, all of the above.

He can’t be trusted as a premier with any integrity.

Our message today to dishonourable David Bartlett is, get out, you are not worthy of being called a Premier, a head of state. It’s too humiliating to have such an untrustworthy person representing Tasmania.

44. Luca Vanzino

November 2, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Makes no difference.

I and thousands like me will stop this mill!

45. Bruce

November 2, 2009 at 5:56 pm

bye bye davy

46. Dave Groves

November 2, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I cannot contain myself at this work of an imbecile.
    For the first time I can remember I have to let loose…..

YOU ARE ONE DUMB FUCK AND A CURSE ON THIS STATE.
    I SHAKE MY HEAD IN DISBELIEF THAT SOMEONE CAN HAVE THIS POWER AVAILABLE TO THEM AND COME UP WITH THE BIGGEST SHOVEL OF SHITE I HAVE EVER SEEN.

SPEECHLESS ME…….

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Receive our newsletter