weblog1

The Examiner
Gunns $2 billion pulp mill project was being maintained in “ready status” as the company continues its search for a financial backer. Managing director John Gay said the company was in negotiations with a number of parties who had expressed interest in becoming a joint venture partner. “We are expecting to reach agreement on key terms with a partner by the end of April 2009,” Mr Gay said in a statement to the Australian Stock Exchange. “We believe there is strategic value in introducing a partner with a strong industry position to the project, including bringing construction, operational and marketing experience.” Mr Gay said the primary source of funding for the development would be a project finance debt facility, which is being coordinated by a European bank. “This is a project that has become even more crucial for the Tasmanian and Australian economies as the impact of the global financial crisis is felt on employment,” Mr Gay said. “It is a project which will provide over 2,000 jobs during a two-year construction period and 1,600 new jobs during operation. “At a time when many companies are making workers redundant, we are one of the few with a major job creation project being progressed.” Mr Gay said the mill project was being maintained in a ready status to proceed on achieving financial close. Read more here
And, Gunns announces $33.6 million profit
Tasmanian forest products company Gunns Limited today announced a substantial increase in net profit after tax for the half year. The company’s profit of $33.6 million was up 95 per cent on the prior corresponding period. Earnings before interest and tax increased 57 per cent to $69.3 million. This included non-operating income from the revaluation of financial instruments of $12.0 million (pre tax) and non-operating expenses of $3.5 million (pre tax) arising from business restructuring costs. Gunns Chairman John Gay said the result was driven by a solid performance by the core forest products division. “Forest products revenue increased 18 per cent to $355.9 million, while earnings increased 23 per cent to $59.8 million,” he said. The board declared a fully franked interim dividend of 2 cents per share, to be paid on April 20. Read more here
Download:
Media_Release_-_Gunns_Announces_33.6_Million_Half_Year_Profit.pdf
ASX_RELEASE_-_Statement_by_the_Executive_Chairman.pdf

1. Tony Saddington

March 3, 2009 at 9:14 am

Jobs go in Gunn’s NZ mill as it closes its doors. Read;

This mill survived 40 years but could not survive a Gunns takeover and an evonomic downturn.
    Shades of Auspine..

2. Steve

March 3, 2009 at 12:14 am

47; Not so much honest Horse, as pragmatic. There’s little point in cheating at patience and this is the internet, it’s not real. For heavens sake I’m conversing with a character from a book I read thirty years ago, how can it be real! You’ve aged well though.
    I reckon I’ve still a copy in the “within container” section of my iceberg library. Next diving expedition I’ll attempt to retrieve it and read again. Back then I spent a bit of time sharing accommodation with real live Fan Men, so my perspective would have been different to now.

3. Dave Groves

March 2, 2009 at 7:33 pm

re #46…..66.5….great to be alive, but will they survive….the show is still rolling ooh yeah!!!

4. Horse Badorties

March 2, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Ahh, Steve! Thank goodness for that Google thing!

You is one honest boy………… 😀

But do youself a favour and read The Fan Man, if you can find a copy – you won’t be disappointed!

5. Tony Saddington

March 2, 2009 at 9:27 am

Gunns share price should drop further today.
    Gunn’s own auditors, KMPG, have expressed doubts as to the ability of Gunns being able to do the pulp mill gig.
    Read:

How is the show looking Dave?

6. Steve

March 2, 2009 at 12:08 am

42; Fair comment Horse; of course there’s no reason for a pulp mill connection. Still, I’d have loved it if there was one!
    Thanks for the plaudits but I can’t accept what’s not earned. I had to Google for the Fan Man connection. If you’d been the Man Named Horse I’d have been on target but I see he’s moved on to greener pastures.

7. Man Named Horse

March 1, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Not me Steve. I have a stable of my own now, moved out about a year back and didn’t get back to Tasmanian Times.
    Don’t know who the other ‘Horse” is. He sounds kind of DORKY

I like that.

I see that the CFMEU is pinning their hopes on the pulp mill again! Didn’t they can it a few weeks back and donated money to the Greens?

Today, they are welcoming the prospect of interstate and overseas workers coming to little Tas to build a mill!
    What about Tasmanian jobs, (if any)?

Share price is falling (Still).

Have a Dinky Dorkey Donkey day! Sorry Horse B.

8. don davey

March 1, 2009 at 3:57 pm

(39)
    Ahhhh! Maddie, angry ? no ! not at all ! towards the pulp mill perhaps, but then aren’t we all ?

You are absolutely correct , we are all on the same side ,and should be allowed do our thing in our own way ,and should refrain from “personal attack” but if one can see that things may be done better , then constructive criticism should not be a problem , but some are so precious that they are unable to even tolerate suggestions that there “CAN” be better ways to do some things, but instead they retaliate with blatant lies ! and yes ! that does make me angry ! most especially when done from behind anonymity ,”cowards castle”I
    believe it’s referred to as.

d.d.

9. Horse Badorties

March 1, 2009 at 11:20 am

Go to the top of the class, Steve, for being conversant with some of the best of 20th century literature!

PS I’m at a loss: where and how does the name ‘Steve’
    relate to the pulp mill?

10. Steve

February 28, 2009 at 11:24 pm

34; Well you got me Horse. I was reading your comments on e.mail and had you down as a Man Named Horse. I was wondering as to your tribal allegiance but now I see your full name all I can relate you to is the Fan Man and I have no idea where that relates to a pulp mill?! Drug fuelled fantasy perhaps?

11. Christopher Purcell

February 28, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Jarvis, we LOVE you!!! Please explain (it all for us). Your analyses are so beautiful, so succinct, so… …so funny (and i don’t even drink…much). We’re so sorry for not having responded but what more could we say, what more could we add to such insightful reviews that turn spin-doctored crap into sparkling pearls of economic scrutiny. We miss you Jarvis Cocker & we humbly plead with you to present us with your fiscal wisdom.

Your adoring fans,
    Christopher Purcell et al.

12. Maddie

February 28, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Don, you sound like a very angry man. For goodness sake, we’re all on the same side. My view is that we’re all doing the best we can. Some do more than others but that doesn’t give them the right to be critical of others. I don’t write to the papers Don nor do I phone radio stations but I’ve done letterboxing and attend every anti-pulp mill rally that I can. I talk to people too. That’s what works for me. Dictating what and how people should perform is something we should try to avoid. There’s strength in unity.

13. don davey

February 28, 2009 at 7:27 pm

(34)

Jesus ! I’m slow at times ! took me a while to get it, what you were saying is ! that you made reference to my weight and hearing and that Linz deleted it, however you still managed to get around it by other means didn’t you , you cunning prick.

Well , lets see now! 70, 6 ft tall, 104 kilo’s, H’mm a tad overweight, but I reckon for my age , not too bad , weight wise, that is ! I have some lady friends who reckon so anyway. !
    Now, hearing ! yeah, gotta admit it ! it’s definitely failing.

Hey Linz ! thanks, but I’m a big boy and can take care of myself .
    d.d.

14. don davey

February 28, 2009 at 7:08 pm

I was just thinking , here I am apologising to “Annie” or whatever her name is, after she told a “blatant lie” to all and sundry, saying that I asked T.A.P for money to paint my motor home.

Now, just so we have this right !
    my motor home is 2001 Mercedes Winnebago ! valued at approx $70.000 ! now I am pretty passionate about stopping this mill , but if anyone believes that I am to the point of allowing my camper to be daubed with paint then they really do need a reality check ! never the less, my apology still stands, interesting to see if “Annie” can find the intestinal fortitude to do likewise for “blatantly lying.”

” intestinal fortitude ” yes, I like that ! might use it again some time ! now where’s that memo book ! Aha ! there it is ! under the tea towel.
    heh,heh.
    d.d.

15. don davey

February 28, 2009 at 5:45 pm

(33)

I’m not certain Annie ! but you appeared to be “Partly” addressing Barnaby with your Post ,and i stress that at no time has he ever complained to me, or any one else to my knowledge ! as he did what he did off his own bat without expectation of help from anyone ! and was most likely embarrassed that I drew attention to the fact that very few offered their help, so ! as you have done so , my apologies for my accusation regarding same ! but not to the many that didn’t.
    d.d.

16. don davey

February 28, 2009 at 5:37 pm

(34)

Weight and state of hearing ? you obviously think ! you know or have met me . and to be frank i have absolutely no idea to what you infer, because your post (16) makes no reference to same, which makes YOUR present post somewhat garbled and inarticulate ! and which brings me back to gutless cowards who abuse under the cloak of anonymity , so I refer you to the last paragraph of post 28 to also be my guest.

Annie , that was your last post to me ? sigh ! you can,t begin to know just how hurt that makes me !
    heh,heh,

Obviously you haven’t been able to find that tea towel.

Ciao Babe’
    d.d.

17. Horse Badorties

February 28, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Hey Don! (17) No hidden meaning in the name old son, but you probably need a bit of a literary frame of reference to find the origin – which I doubt you have, given the rather inarticulate and garbled nature of your postings on TT. As for the ‘anonymous personal abuse deleted’ – that was done by the moderator, and rightly so, because I referred to your weight and the state of your hearing in my post 16, which was very naughty of me!

You need to lighten up, man.

Have a Dorky Day

Horse.

18. Annie

February 28, 2009 at 11:53 am

Hi Don,
    I am a member of TAP. I gave Barnaby a cheque when he needed funds for his ad campaign. (Annie is not my real name, Barnaby) Don’t you DARE accuse others of not doing stuff – you have no idea at all you fool! I don’t draw a pension – I work part time and I exist on LESS than a pension – so I ask you to please apologize for bad-mouthing hard-working people. BTW – Glennis and Tony Sadds are members of TAP – they come to every meeting. Please wipe that egg off your face.

This is my last response to you.

19. Annie

February 28, 2009 at 11:34 am

Please, please, please…..yes Jarvis! your pearls of true wisdom are sorely needed to couteract some of the infantile idiocy posted here!
    Please do it! I promise to respond.

20. salamander

February 28, 2009 at 10:55 am

It will be interesting if a partner does come out of the woodwork – particularly after seeing what the streets look like in Japan now, with long queues of unemployed. Not only “who will have enough money to join with Gunns”, but “who will buy the product”? I think even the Japanese have more important things on their shopping lists than paper.

21. Tony Saddington

February 28, 2009 at 10:40 am

Just to leave the fantasy of job creation aside by Gunns Ltd, take a peak at the link below;

Ferdie Kroon and his mob are looking down the barrel of a bleak mechanised future, with limited employment opportunities.

Rather than creating jobs, Gunns have been progressively putting the screws onto contractors to get ‘tooled up’ so that smaller operators are squeezed out, contracts going only to ‘reliable’ operators.
    This has created massive debts for some operators.

This is modus of operations for Gunns.

These harvestors operated 24/7 for 10 days in native forest at Doctors hill and are currently at work in the Dismal ranges.

22. Dave Groves

February 28, 2009 at 8:04 am

Dismord #20, It’s about cash flow….or lack thereof.
    I also think it’s about perception that has led to their demise…..how many people actually shop for their hardware items there?
    Perhaps they would do better running a $2 shop…..high volume, low return…undifferentiated products in a bland market.
    Fits closely with their business model….if they actually have one……..

23. don davey

February 28, 2009 at 3:48 am

(21)
    No Emily ,it is because I figure that if people attack and make untrue statements as has Annie in defence of her hero that one needs an avenue to address same.

Annie make some puerile remarks about painting my motor home, which is a blatant Lie of which she is well aware !

My comments were directed towards T.A.P for not listening to ALL IDEA’S put forward by others rather than a select few, and her belief that the input of other individuals is of no consequence such as my belief in the power of the printed press in reaching the MOST people , which can be proved by those of us who PERSIST ! like Tony Saddington, Glynis Sleurink, (hope i spelt that right) myself, and a few others whose names don’t spring to mind at this time.

In not appearing to push my own barrow, I have for three years been displaying my M/cycle covered in anti mill paraphernalia ,at every occasion possible at no small threat to myself at times ,which incidentally will eventually be needed to be repainted at no small expense to myself when all this is over, I have been ran off the road twice, spat at, abused, had missiles thrown at me and still I am persisting because I believe passionately in what I am doing, whilst giving information to any and everyone I can, incidentally ! my M/cycle is not and old hack but a thirty thousand dollar machine.

As for my motor home which is valued at approx $70,000, i attempted to offer it as an information site in the mall to the T.A.P organisation and as can be seen by ANNIE’s post ,that was indicative of the response received at the time, actually it was made fun of.

Now ! Peter Garrett ! who the fuck want,s to talk to that turncoat, certainly not me ! nor any one else who takes this fight seriously.

Finally I exist on a pension, however I found $100 to help Barnaby with his campaign, just how much did you, or McMahon, or Annie, and the MAJORITY of T.A.P members give ? bloody zilch! and most likely you all suffer a case of the guilt’s for not having done so , especially since I continually harassed you all for not doing so.

You may not like what I say ! but I’ll continue to be your god-damn conscience whether you like it or not.

As for this Tom character who has suddenly crawled out from under some rock, my actual age is seventy and my address is freely available , perhaps you have the balls to abuse me to my face? No ! I didn’t think so.

d.d.

24. ron

February 28, 2009 at 1:25 am

Come on Mr Cocker…don’t leave us hanging. We have need of education.

25. pilko

February 28, 2009 at 12:31 am

Letsavit Jarvy baby!

26. Charles and Claire Gilmour

February 28, 2009 at 12:15 am

We want to know who the publicly paid/industry paid spin doctors are. We want to know what and who we are paying for. The rest we don’t care, and can appreciate their wanting to remain anon.

27. Gerry Mander

February 28, 2009 at 12:06 am

With all there optimistic statements and predictions of future jobs, wealth and happiness for Tasmania, and after all the handouts and subsidies, Gunns still only managed to pay a dividend of TWO CENTS! And they say this is a big improvement over last years perormance.

I think thet’ve been drinking too much of their own brand and the added bouquet has gone to their heads.

28. David Mohr

February 27, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Jarvis, why haven’t the media picked up on the poor cash flow? How long can they withstand the drop in woodchip exports?

29. Jarvis Cocker

February 27, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Jarvis has undertaken an extensive study of Gunns’s half-year result. Surprisingly, his conclusions differ from nearly every mainstream media outlet, possibly as he’s read the whole report, but there’s also a chance sensory overload from the 2005 Cab Sav vintage may have played a part.

Due to lack of response from previous postings, Jarivs is ambivalent about supplying a full analysis. But he could be persuaded, particularly given Robert G’s comments seem to have been written after perhaps drinking 25 cases of the Tamar Ridge 2007 Pinot.

Love, Jarvis

x

30. emily

February 27, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Don, what does it matter what name someone posts under? Surely it is what you say and not your name that matters. I always wonder if people want real names so they can find stuff up about them in order to attack their character in future posts

31. Dismord

February 27, 2009 at 8:07 pm

There’s something else very peculiar about Gunn’s business strategy. Over the last several years Gunns have deliberately run down their retail hardware chain. Previously profitable outlets such as KingsMeadows have been closed. Deloraine, which was well run and making a decent profit, had it’s manager removed and ( another ) put in her place. Re-stocking is now their last priority. To me this appears to be a form of business suicide but to what purpose? Maybe Mr Gay imagines his obscenely subsidized wood chip/pulp activities are going to be making the company such a healthy profit the retail outlets can be dumped? Who knows – but there’s something very strange going on in management’s’ heads.

32. Tom

February 27, 2009 at 2:01 pm

To DD 15
    This is my real name and while you still sound about 9, I know that is not your real age. I feel sorry for you.

33. Annie

February 27, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Well, Don, I noticed that it was Bob McMahon, not YOU that Peter Garrett contacted, to give a heads up to community representatives regarding the content of his media release about holding off from giving Gunns carte blanche to go ahead with their mill in early January. Much to the ire of people like Erich Abetz.

Now why didn’t he contact you, Don? Could it be that Mr McMahon has done far more than you could possible conceive of in stopping this mill, and your accusations of only doing stuff ‘from the comfort of their lounge chair through a typewriter’ is so far off the mark as to be laughable!

Just because TAP turned down your request for money to paint your van (more important things to spend money on) there is no need for you to attack TAP members all the time, Don. It sounds like sour grapes to me. You are being rather puerile.

34. don davey

February 27, 2009 at 11:56 am

(16)
    I guess there is some hidden meaning in your pseudonym , however, it escapes this old mind , as does the A.P.A.D. reference which I must confess to having never understood, so let me do a “Pauline” in asking : PLEASE EXPLAIN ? and hopefully under your real name.
    d.d.

35. Horse Badorties

February 27, 2009 at 10:08 am

Don, were’nt you …
    Anonymous Personal Abuse Deleted

Have a Dorky day!
    Horse

36. don davey

February 27, 2009 at 1:54 am

Well Annie ! i reckon i have an excellent sense of humour ,however i find nothing humorous with attacking people by the way they look or act ! and regardless of our beef with them they too have families ,and children who can be bullied at school due to what is said about them, and after all what have they done ?

It is very easy to call someone an arse licker which is but one instance of verbal abuse used by many in order to get a laugh ! so ok ! you find it humorous ! I find it childish and unbecoming, but that’s just me I suppose ! horses for courses ! also if one has the temerity to act in such a way he should also have the courage to do so face to face , I judge an individual by what he or she does ! not from what they say from the comfort of their lounge chair through a typewriter.
    P.S.
    Tom ! when you find the balls to post under your own name I may just consider its worthiness in the meantime you can fuck off !

d.d.

37. Tony Saddington

February 26, 2009 at 1:28 pm

All true Pilko.
    Perhaps the Ex may find itself again before ‘Media Watch’.
    We may see again more inserts of promotion for the mill, disguised as news for the masses.

Interesting that Gunns are promoting themselves as ‘job creators’ with their rubbery figures.
    Interesting because they are responsible, both directly and indirectly, for job losses in this state.

Jobs gone from Auspine, contractors- 30% projection(Ferdie Kroon) and Gunns mill closures, (here and on the mainland).
    Also include farmland that has gone under along with jobs that was associated with it and bonafide country sawmills, unable to compete with Gunns and its massive subsidies.
    No level playing field there.

Factor in also the negative impact on surrounding primary industries near the mill site that trade on the ‘green Tassie brand’.
    How many jobs to go?

38. Annie

February 26, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Sheesh, Don, get real!
    I found Bob’s post rather amusing and a well-written little piece in the vein of Hunter S. Thompson. And with a very large grain of truth.
    Where’s your sense of humour?

39. Mike Bolan

February 26, 2009 at 12:54 pm

The UK is close to bankruptcy as is Iceland, Ireland and Austria. Much of Eastern Europe is unable to pay its debts hence other euro banks are under severe threat. Also being consumed are companies that have incurred excessive debt. No one knows which industries and banks will be the next to go.

In all of this we’re supposed to believe that Gunns has a venture partner lined up, even though they still don’t have a pipeline. If it’s true, it means major dilution of the value of existing shares which may account for the sudden drop in share price.

More likely, Gunns is desperate for money and is floating another load of tosh to hypnotise our gullible politicians to provide more millions in subsidies and/or to prevent governments from committing to supply water from Tassie to Melbourne if Vic’s catchments turn out to be polluted from fire retardent chemical wash off.

If Melbourne gets the water – there might not be any left for Gunns. If that happens then the whole scam will deflate and Gunns would be forced into a value adding business – something that they don’t appear ready for.

40. Tom

February 26, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Refreshing to see that the corresponding article in the Mercury has a few paragraphs at the end that finally questions Gay’s constant dibble.

I would also ask if finding a so called venture partner does actually mean finding the money? I think not. It is more than likely that this is yet another garbage statement from Gay and in reality the partner will prove to be as competent and broke as Gunns! They will then announce that they now have 2% of the money between them and very close to securing the rest before the end of the year.

PS: Do I need to say: DD (10) just grow up!

41. don davey

February 26, 2009 at 11:14 am

(8)
    “arselickers” ?
    Well i’m no shrinking violet when it comes to saying what is needed , however Bob McMahon once made an attack upon me with the statement , “with friends like Don Davey who needs enemies” , all because I dared to try and suggest a better way for organisation like T.A.P to do some things.

Well ! post 8 is exactly the sort of pompous , self ingratiating, inflammatory, personal attack , type of prose that can only make an already sensitive situation much worse.

All that is now needed ,is for the proponents to show the gullible public this type of language and statement, more in style with some ” teens @ twenty some things” attitudes to conflict than actually doing something concrete.

d.d.

42. Jim Welsh

February 26, 2009 at 1:47 am

It would seem by the way that Gunns shares have fallen after Mr Gay`s recent statements that Abe Lincoln`s quote rings true. “You can fool all of the people, some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, But you can`t fool all of the people, all of the time!!!

43. Bob McMahon

February 26, 2009 at 12:06 am

Let’s call it the ‘fuhrer in the bunker mentality’. Just as the fuhrer moved non-existent armies around the map table for the defence of Berlin, so Gay and Gray and the loyal party members down there in the Lindsay St bunker are creating fantasy financial instruments and venture partners out of their own febrid minds.

It is entirely possible that paranoid ideation is roaring through the Lindsay St bunker like the Victorian firestorm and it is therefore entirely wrong of the public and the market to accept what emanates from the bunker as the reasoned statements of rational people.

Amidst the stew of delusion, hope, monomaniacal fixed ideas and gutted personal portfolios, the directors of Gunns face one inescapable truth. The company has, to borrow the murky euphemism of the gambling den aka the stock market, a ‘cash flow problem’.

You don’t have to be an economist to know that if no-one is buying what you’ve got to sell, then the business and all its foot soldiers, loyal retainers, arselickers, household gods and three-legged pets get indiscriminately consumed in the flames.

44. phill Parsons

February 25, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Whilst I won’t be surprised if Gunns gets a Joint Venture Partner, a compliant government and almost free resources must be attracticve to a long term investor even if there is a downturn now, I am surproised the ABC state there will be one according to gay when these negotiations have been almost a perennial every time the share value drops.

Further i suppose there can only be one partner but the Examiner reports multiple players showing interest and the last time negotiations were on I seem to remeber the end of march would supposedly see a resolution.

I gues the JVP’s are awaiting Garrett’s announcement of Rudd’s decision that the CFMEU has demanded. Long live climate criminals and carbon terrorists.

45. john hayward

February 25, 2009 at 11:20 pm

It would be less embarrassing if they spoke of Gunns as a welfare department, or an uncontrolled haemorrhage in the state treasury, rather than a real business.

John Hayward

46. David Alford

February 25, 2009 at 11:19 pm

In the end, I think the people of Tasmania will stop the mill by enormous protest. And Gunns will end up being the most hated company in Tassie. Gay would do well to read Moby Dick, but of course he won’t stop until the end.

47. pilko

February 25, 2009 at 11:12 pm

The Examiner (Gunns continues search for financial backer, RACHEL WILLIAMS 26/02/2009) today published Mr Gay’s thoughts about the “ready status” of the pulp mill.
    I find it incredible that the Examiner uncritically and without question publishes what are clearly to even a layman like myself very dubious job claims by Mr Gay.

2000 construction jobs Gunns and the EX say?

Yet in March last year Gunns told us that there would now only be 1250 jobs during pulp mill construction?
    At best 40% of those would come from Tasmania. 500 local jobs at best.
    Full time, part time? We dont know
    What gives?

And 1600 new jobs during operation? Where? How?

Gunns own website shows that at best there will only be 280 jobs at the mill during operation. And most certainly only a percentage of these will go to tassy locals.

Check Gunns website if you dont believe me.

This was all widely reported in the press last year. Why does the Tasmanian media not hold John Gay to account over some of his statements?
    The facts show that Gunns are cutting jobs, not creating them. Talk is cheap. Gunns must be judged by their actions.

Despite Gay’s claims there is almost universal agreeance out there on ‘main street’ that Mr Gay’s pulp mill project remains in ‘a state of disgrace’. This is the view of the majority of thinking Tasmanians, the community for whom Mr Gay seems to have very little or no regard.

Once again Mr Gay seems completely oblivious to the incredible offence: the glaring contradiction between Gunns’ broken promise to abide by the umpire’s decision (the RPDC), their ultimatum to the people and parliament that the pulp mill project be given a fast track approval by June 2007 or likely go bust, and Gunns’ current position – which is to wait for as long as it takes!

Compounding the offence is that compared to 2007 when Gunns claimed the project was on the brink, the company now finds itself in a truly vulnerable financial position with a disappearing share value and market cap.

How do they do it?

Yet now with the Tasmanian parliament’s rubber stamp secured the project is said to be all rosy and in a “state of readiness”.

How on earth can Mr Gay look Tasmanians in the eye?

After all of the deceit, interference, bias and broken promises and in the face of such widespread community outrage and promised blockades Gunns seem determined to put at risk the best thing that our region has going for it – The Tamar Valley.

Rick Pilkington

48. Mike Adams

February 25, 2009 at 10:45 pm

In an enthusiastic display of pessimism, ‘cos they’d heard a lot of this before, the market dropped the share price by 7.3% to 63.5c. The lowest yet.

49. Steve

February 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm

If I was Gunns, I’d be worried. All these upbeat statements and the share price drops 7%? Large numbers being traded too. Perhaps tomorrow will bring some sunshine but if it doesn’t, it tends to prove the market is getting a bit bored with Gay BS.

50. Pete Godfrey

February 25, 2009 at 9:37 pm

How can we believe anything this company says. First there were the advertisements with all the people in the football stadium, telling us that the pulp mill would create 3500 jobs.
    Then not long ago they decided to increase the construction time by 6 months and decrease the workforce to 1200. Now it seems the figure is back up to over 2000 jobs during construction.
    We were also told that it would employ something like 290 people to run the mill, now that has blown out to 1600.
    Guess what I don’t believe one word.
    As far as finance goes well we will all just have to wait and see if the tooth fairy really does exist