Environment

My submission to the RPDC

Ronnie Harrison, Texas

Dear Commission,

As a tourist that has chosen Tasmania as my travel destination for the last 12 years I feel that I have a vested interest in the outcome of your decision.

After reading over the IIS in the time allocated I have come to the following conclusions:
1. How can a tourist destination like Tasmania that claims to be clean, green and clever allow a “dirty monstrous pulp mill” that will consume 2-3million tons of forests on top of the 4-5 million it currently harvests. It’s simply mind boggling that a state the size of Tasmania could allow of up 7 million tons of timber to be logged in one year. I have seen with my own eyes as many thousands of tourists the current rate of visual destruction that is occurring. So why allow more? Its unconceivable that this “dirty monstrous pulp mill” could even be considered that would threaten an industry that now provides over 40,000 jobs a year and will continue to add more if nurtured properly. This same industry provided over a 1billion in revenue to the state last year. Forestry continues to lose jobs while vast amounts of its revenue goes out of the state.

This forestry proposal will only bring more of the same.

2. Tasmanian wildlife is a big drawcard for many thousands of tourists each year but its existents is threat by habitat destruction from even more logging that will be caused by this “dirty monstrous pulp mill”!!

3. Air Pollution in the Tamar Valley, water pollution in Bass Strait, degradation of fishing streams caused by this proposed “dirty monstrous pulp mill” will add to the reasons why tourists will be unhappy with there “Tasmanian Experience.”

4. More deaths on the roads will be attributed to the huge increase in log truck traffic which will no doubt included tourists. This is simple unacceptable!!!

Conclusion: Who in his right mind would give the go ahead to a “dirty monstrous pulp mill” that would threaten 40,000 plus jobs in tourism, by destroying and image that it has spent hundreds of millions to create and promote around the world.

Who would vote for a project that will kill more Tasmanians and Tourists each year on the roads.

Tasmania is at the crossroads of its tourism future and everything that makes it so unique.

If truth and common sense prevail then this “dirty monstrous pulp mill” will get the boot!!

Sincerely,

Ronnie Harrison
Baytown, Texas
USA

1. bp

March 25, 2009 at 10:52 pm

well Ronnie if you are so worried about our state, why dont you come and support it permantley, or are you still having problems making that decision as well!

2. DON DAVEY

October 6, 2006 at 4:20 am

brenda what you propose is admirable however at this moment in time fanciful , right now we have to work out ways of stopping this mill because i believe it will be built ,now by what i am doing by advertising on my car, my bike , and encouraging everyone i know to do likewise will hopefully start to sway opinion . at least 3 times a week i sit in the main street of Lonnie at one of the coffee shops with the bike in full view and people stop and comment and ask and i tell them what i believe and back it with the facts that science and the world is telling us through it,s weather patterns, which cannot be denied as i have earlier stated,but those of us that are able have to get off our collective arses and do it.
    It,s amazing how many car notices you can print from a ream of foolscap cut them in two and hand em out ,they can put them in the back window with some sellotape, but i,m only one person what if a hundred were doing it, you all have computers and therefore i assume printers, get with the program ! one more word of advice , completely ignore the “gunn,s ” trouble makers such as Tomas and others of his ilk they are ring ins specifically to stop us getting on with it and refuse to acknowledge those who won,t stand up to be counted by giving their credentials, what do they have to hide ? thereby the sermon ends,for what it,s worth.
    ciao for now
    don

3. Brenda Rosser

October 6, 2006 at 1:06 am

Don said:
    “IF YOU GUYS DON,T GET OVER YOURSELVES AND START WORKING OUT SOME STRATEGIES ON HOW WE COMBAT THESE BASTARDS…”

Don, we’re working on it. I like your idea about a car sticker that points out to Tasmanians that this state is actually theirs – not Gunns Ltd or Paul Lennon’s.

We need to let the public know that people actually do need to live on the land in order for proper land stewardship to take place.

So how about writing about a vision for the future. Tell it to others here. I would like to see lots of family farms, organic enterprises, railway networks, solar panels, mudbrick housing, promotion of handcrafts, alternative forms of medicine etc etc.

Tell us what you would like to see in our future…please. We must move away from this big business way of death before it’s too late. We don’t have that much time.

4. Rick Pilkington

October 5, 2006 at 10:12 pm

Don, get a grip. Arguing is good therapy. It,s o.k mate. Try and calm down a bit. Oh… and turn off your tabs key.
    rick

5. DON DAVEY

October 5, 2006 at 8:15 pm

IS IT ANY BLOODY WONDER THAT JOHN GAY AND CO ARE GETTING THEIR OWN WAY, CHRIST ! I CAME TO THIS SITE WITH THE IDEAL NOTION ,”AT LAST SOMEWHERE APART FROM THE BIASED PRINT MEDIA OF THIS STATE WHERE I CAN FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT “,BUT GUESS WHAT ! IF I WERE JOHN GAY ,READING ALL THIS INDISCRIMINATE, INFIGHTING AND CRUD BEING DEMONSTRATED BY SUPPOSED INTELLECTUAL PEOPLE I,D BE LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK ,WHICH OF COURSE IS EXACTLY WHAT HE WILL BE DOING IF YOU GUYS DON,T GET OVER YOURSELVES AND START WORKING OUT SOME STRATEGIES ON HOW WE COMBAT THESE BASTARDS OR ARE YOU ALL ABOUT TALK AND NO ACTION.
    DON DAVEY.

6. Tomas

October 5, 2006 at 12:31 am

So Rick, have a chip on your shoulder about people who went to Uni? Actually I did go to University (the proper branch after some months at the pretend one in the north) and am now contributing to the world in a gainful way. I dont know you but you really come across as a patronising fool. Well, Rick probably unlike you, I have lived some years in the US (San Diego), as well as Europe as a kid, and likely have more American friends and seen more of the US than you. I wouldn’t be so bold to tell my American friends what to do with their life and country, nor do I accept superficial criticism from ‘Ronnie’. Its related to the notion of being a sovereign state with a constitution and democratic structures. Some things I learnt at Uni – you should try it some time.

7. Rick Pilkington

October 4, 2006 at 7:28 pm

I didnt realise we were debating Tomas. You wouldnt happen to be at the UNI would you? Its not a matter of not wanting to debate you. I see most threads as open discussions. But as I said, I will not waste my time getting into in-depth and drawn out discussions with bigots or people who think their shit dont stink and cant take criticism. You learn that quickly around here or you do end up wasting too much time.

There are some around here who clearly have too much spare time to sit in front of a computer and waste all day on ultimately worthless tangential and lightweight arguments that eventually end up in slanging matches anyway (you may be one of them). So when I am confronted with the sort of rubbish you have written here Tomas I prefer not to waste too much time and effort. You may be different.

Your appallingly xenophobic contribution to this thread is there for all to see (you wrote the shit, I didnt).You clearly think that foreigners should keep there opinions to themselves and should not come here if they have any criticisms. I can only go on what you have written here mate.

8. crud

October 4, 2006 at 12:46 pm

I am a member of a large caravan and campervan club with many members from all over oz and overseas.in their last newsletter there was a discussion/survey on tazzie about log trucks,rednecks and the pulp mill.over 2000 members said they would probably give tazzie the flick for future holidays if this monstrosity is allowed to happen.the revenue lost from these tourists would be a lot more than gunns will ever give the lemon govt.

9. Don Notwood

October 4, 2006 at 3:30 am

It doesn’t matter if Ronnie is male, female or even a smurf, I think we are missing the point people.

Ronnie has valid points and talks from experience, and it is refreshing that someone from outside our little society cares enough to pass comment to help us out.

We must learn from others’ mistakes.

The mill is a bad idea.

10. Tassie Smurf

October 3, 2006 at 6:17 pm

Just a thought, guys….Most have assumed that Ronnie is a bloke. Could our gender bias be working against us on this case, considering that “Ronnie” is gender-neutral?

11. Tomas

October 3, 2006 at 2:56 pm

OK Rick, nice put down, thanks for branding me as a racist xenophobe (which I am not, incidentally). I am impressed with your debating skills – par for the course going on your intellectually challenging previous contributions.

12. Rick Pilkington

October 3, 2006 at 11:11 am

Ok Tomas. I am now putting you in my time wasters’ basket. But before I move on I thought this link may be of some use to you (you may already know it). I think you will fit in nicely with these people.

regards
    Rick

13. Don Notwood

October 3, 2006 at 2:07 am

I fail to see how Ronnie is hypocritical, surely you don’t consider him being responsible for Texas’ air pollution problems? I would wager that if Texas was indeed being run by Ronnie it would be in a better environmental standing that it is currently.

Without putting words into Ronnie’s mouth, it would also seem that his point is that if we don’t consider the potetial problems associated with the pulp mill, we may become like Texas in the not too distant future. We may also destroy our tourism industry, create health problems and destroy our wildlife, etc, etc.

Can you actually criticise his very valid points? Or are you just attacking him because he’s an ‘out-of-towner’?

14. tomas

October 2, 2006 at 10:17 pm

No, paying tourists are not legitimate stakeholdes with respect to the (4) points raised by Cowboy Ronnie. He surely has a democratic right to speak, just I have to say that it is enormously hypocritical given the damage Texans have done to their State. He also has a democratic right not to come here again as a tourist if it didn’t suit him.

15. Don Notwood

October 2, 2006 at 9:48 pm

Dear Tomas,

Would it not be the best idea to learn from experience and past mistakes, even if it emanates from people from ‘other countries’, or would it be best to close ones eyes and block ones ears and shout “Not listening, not listening”?

I’m sure Ronnie is trying to avoid us making the same mistake that Texas and others have made. Are you suggesting that because he is American we shouldn’t take any notice of him?

16. Rick Pilkington

October 2, 2006 at 8:43 pm

As paying customers tourists are legitimate stakeholders in any economy Tomas. Surely you do not dispute this. Why do you react so badly to this tourist’s exercising his democratic right to speak? Do you not believe that Tasmania is accountable to the people who pay for its services? I do not want to broaden this into a discussion on the nature of Dennis Burke or Pauline Hanson, but as I said your post#5 looked and sounded awfully like their work. I was simply pointing this out. Both of these characters have long been consigned to political oblivion for their provincialist and xenophobic rantings.

17. Don Notwood

October 2, 2006 at 7:24 pm

Dear Tomas,

Would it not be the best idea to learn from experience and past mistakes, even if it eminates from people from ‘other countries’, or would it be best to close ones eyes and block ones ears and shout “Not listening, not listening”?

18. Tomas

October 1, 2006 at 12:23 pm

That is a very funny contribution from Rick – boy, it made me laugh. What was your point actually? I will dial up the American Embassy now and see if they can give us a few extra pointers on how to live our lives. But why stop there? I might ring the Iranians or perhaps the North Koreans?

19. Rick Pilkington

October 1, 2006 at 3:04 am

“Excellent – I always love it when someone from another country comes and tells us how to live our lives”.

How very provincial of you Tomas ‘Pauline Hanson’ Rignoli.

How Dennis Burke like. How Lennonesque of you. You’re not from Ipswich by per chance?

I must confess, that I was not actually aware that One Nation was still doing the rounds. Which branch are you with Tomas? Or will you be opening a new local branch? Are you running for office next time round Tomas? Maybe you could have a crack at Brian Green’s seat.

I reckon your xenophobic attitude could take you places!

20. Tomas

September 30, 2006 at 11:40 pm

I think I will write to the people of Texas to turn their backs on their vacuous, polluting lifestyle. I personally welcome people from another country telling us how to run our country – reminds me of how intellectually immature we are.

JustaTassieSmurfBloke – thanks for the simplistic suggestions.

21. Justa Bloke

September 30, 2006 at 8:58 pm

Well, Thomas R, last time I looked, Texas and Tasmania were on the same planet.

Could we all work together?

22. Tassie Smurf

September 30, 2006 at 3:19 pm

“Texas is a highly polluted State with soul-less cities and ghastly freeways.” – Tomas Rignoli.

Which is why Ronnie can see the value in preserving what little precious wilderness is left on the planet! Is this not worth saving?

Or would you prefer Tasmania to resemble Texas?

23. Tomas Rignoli

September 30, 2006 at 1:38 pm

Excellent – I always love it when someone from another country comes and tells us how to live our lives. Perhaps Ronnie Harrison would best spend his time cleaning up his own State before preaching to us. Texas is a highly polluted State with soul-less cities and ghastly freeways.

24. Brenda Rosser

September 29, 2006 at 2:28 am

Ronnie, they’re widening the Takone Road into a highway for woodchips right now. It’s headed straight toward the Tarkine rainforest.

We can see the myrtle forests along the Inglis disappear very quickly. Replaced with more nightmare gum. It’s so alarming.

25. bloke

September 29, 2006 at 12:55 am

Well spoken Ronnie. As an employee of the tourism industry I thank you for highlighting that aspect of the debate.

As an employee of the tourism industry I would also add that the silence from our own representatives; the Tourism Council, and other leaders of the industry, is a disgrace. I would add Tourism Tasmania and Tasmania’s Temptations to this list. But no doubt gagged under Premier Lenin’s order.

Where are the Farrells, the Simon Currants, the De Katzows, the Lloyd Clarks, the Richards, Sattler and Crawford? What’s their stance on this? Why are we not hearing any opposition from eminent leaders of our industry?

Beggars belief. Head in the sand is not an expression I would use to describe any of the above named but the lack of a united vocal front on this leads me to believe it is the reality.

Either that or Gunns has a very healthy impact on hotel room utilisation …. for now.

26. Justa Bloke

September 28, 2006 at 7:55 pm

Thanks, Ronnie, but I doubt whether many Tasmanians give a flying fart about the tourism industry, wildlife, road safety, air pollution or jobs, let alone “truth and common sense”. Certainly a large minority of us do, but this is a democracy, and brute numbers prevail.

This is all about income for a handful of Gunns shareholders and realising Paul Lennon’s dreams. That is the only story that matters, and the only thing that will stop the pulp mill is if conditions are imposed which make it unprofitable.

If this is the outcome of the R2D2’s deliberations, then well and good – for the short term. Otherwise (and the odds are heavy) we are stuffed.

27. Dave Groves

September 28, 2006 at 4:47 pm

Go Ronnie!!

Welcome at my place anytime you are in Tas. Maybe we could put some “Bush” in the chipper while you are here????

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Receive Our Weekly Tas Roundup