This Saturday, 16 February, the TSO’s beloved outdoor event RACT Symphony under the Stars, will be performed for the very first time in the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens.
Described as ‘a concert, a picnic, a family-friendly event’ RACT Symphony under the Stars, compered this year by Christopher Lawrence, will be conducted by Benjamin Northey. This year’s program has a strong Hispanic flavour, featuring Argentinian-Australian baritone José Carbó and including beloved arias from operas including Rigoletto, The Barber of Seville and Carmen.
TSO CEO Caroline Sharpen said, ‘For all of us at the TSO, Symphony under the Stars is one of the most anticipated events of the year. It is an enormous privilege to perform for the Tasmanian community, especially in the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens and City Park, two of the most loved public spaces in our beautiful state.’
‘Being Tasmania’s orchestra is at the heart of our mission. Symphony under the Stars is one of the ways the TSO and our partners work to bring Tasmanians together for a shared experience of great music and community spirit.’
Lord Mayor of Hobart Anna Reynolds said, ‘The City of Hobart is proud to support the iconic TSO’s RACT Symphony under the Stars. This free community event brings families and friends together and with its relocation to the magnificent Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens this year, will no doubt allow the event to grow and become even more accessible for all communities in the greater Hobart area.’
Audience members are invited to bring a picnic, with Lindisfarne Rotary operating a barbeque, and beverages available from Fine Drop Wines, and coffee from Que Sera Sera and Hamlet.
The only entry point for the free event, which has reached audience capacity, will be the main gate on Lower Doman Road (near the entry to the Herb Garden), which will open at 3.30pm. Concertgoers will need to present printed or digital tickets for scanning on entry. The Tasmanian Youth Orchestra performs at 6pm, with the TSO taking the stage at 7pm.
RACT Symphony under the Stars
Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, Hobart
Saturday 16 February 7 pm, gates open from 3.30pm
- Gates will open at 3.30pm. Music starts at 7pm and will end at approximately 9.15pm. The Tasmanian Youth Orchestra will perform from 6pm on the main stage.
- The free event is at capacity. Tickets are required and will be scanned on entry.
- The only entry point to The Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens for RACT Symphony under the Stars is the main gate on Lower Domain Road (near the entry to the Herb Garden). Please note that the lower gate will not be open.
- Feel free to bring along a picnic and drinks (alcohol is permitted).
- There will be a barbecue stall operated by Lindisfarne Rotary. Hamlet Coffee, Que Sera Sera Coffee and Fine Drop Wines will be on site serving drinks.
- RACT Symphony under the Stars is a family-friendly event and suitable for even the youngest of family members.
Director Marketing and Communications