Media Release

Statement from the Speaker Sue Hickey

Sue Hickey

Sue Hickey MP, Speaker, the House of Assembly

I made a statement in the House today about an exchange I had with a member of the Premier’s staff this afternoon.

I’m very pleased to report that the Premier has since spoken with me and the other person involved, we have agreed that this was a relatively minor matter and it has been resolved to the complete satisfaction of all parties involved.

I will not be making any further comment on this incident.

Given that the matter has been totally resolved I have informed the Premier that I do not want the other person to be identified.

I continue to strongly support the Hodgman Majority Liberal Government’s agenda which was endorsed by Tasmanians at the state election, however I reserve my right to be an impartial Speaker when it comes to any other matters before the Parliament.

1. Rob Halton

November 28, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Sue is not one to accept fools easily, she is a leader not a follower.
    Kate must realise that Hickey will more than likely save the Liberal machine in Tasmania from its self made decline with the likes of Abetz calling the shots.

2. Kate

November 28, 2018 at 8:36 am

Sue joined the Liberal party and was elected on Liberal party preferences.

Kevin Rudd taught Labor a good lesson about narcissism, and now the Libs are getting a lesson from Sue.

• Tim Thorne

November 28, 2018 at 11:08 am

Sue Hickey became Speaker as the result of a democratic process. More members of the House voted for her than voted for Rene Hidding.

This has nothing to do with being either a traitor or a narcissist. The Speaker’s position is non-partisan and it can be assumed (although it was a secret ballot) that the members of all three parties voted for her.

• Kate

November 28, 2018 at 11:32 am

Well, your last statement is correct!
        Ten Labor, Two Greens and One traitor of a liberal, Miss Hickey = all three parties.

• max

November 28, 2018 at 11:34 am

Sorry Kate, but I beg to differ. All Sue is doing is proving she is not a muppet. Why would, or should, any person rubber stamp something they disagree with?

Unfortunately, the biggest percentage of voters are muppets who vote for a party, not its policies. The only thing that will pull them into line are the swinging voters who weigh up the policies and vote accordingly.

Sue is proving that she has a mind, and that she is not a muppet and that she is willing to cross the floor for her beliefs.

Instead of condemning a free thinker, you should applaud her courage.

3. Kate

November 27, 2018 at 8:11 pm

Sorry Sue, but I do not understand how you do not get the concept.
    You are a traitor to your own party, and to the people of Tasmania!

• max

November 28, 2018 at 7:35 am

Sorry Kate, but I do not understand how you do not get the concept of what voting should be all about.
      I vote for the people that I think will best represent me, my family and my country, not some ideology that may go off the rails. You have the right to follow a football team through thick and thin but to blindly follow a political party that is making life and death decisions for you and your country, is pure madness.
      I may not always agree with Sue, but I respect her for not toeing the party line if she thinks it is wrong.

• Peter Black

November 28, 2018 at 7:44 am

A traitor to the people of Tasmania ?

Definitely not.

Maybe a traitor to the Liberal party if you wish, then that would also mean a traitor to the gambling Industry .. which you forgot to include, Kate.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Receive our newsletter