8th Hobart Oration – Justice for the Next Generation, Julian Burnside and Behrouz Boochani

July 23, 2018 at 7pm – 9pm

Tickets $50 / $25 unwaged.

WHEN
July 23, 2018 at 7pm – 9pm

WHERE
Hobart Town Hall
50 Macquarie St
Hobart, Tasmania 7000
Australia

How many tickets would you like?

$50.00 Waged

$25.00 Unwaged

Purchase tickets HERE

1. Tim Thorne

July 25, 2018 at 4:58 pm

I didn’t claim to be Chinese. I guess when you and I say “we” or “us” we mean different things.

As for your first point .. I do not believe that Federal, State or Local governments are “good for the nation” whichever wealthy and powerful entity is influencing them.

There does seem to be strong evidence that the nation state, as it has been for the last 150 years or so, is on the way out. There is also evidence of a hugely swelling tide of mass migration which even Australia’s Duttonstaffel won’t be able to stem.

2. Robin Charles Halton

July 25, 2018 at 2:40 pm

#7 … Tim, you are not telling me that Chinese influenced Federal, State and local governments are good for the nation.

It’s a bit complicated as you are claiming to be Chinese. Chinese what?

I treasure my way of life as I don’t require all of the nick-nacks of the complex modern world, but enjoy the freedoms of the Australian way of life.

I look forward to continuing with persons with whom I live, and can usually trust, but I have no faith in the influences of Communist China in our business and political ways!

3. Tim Thorne

July 25, 2018 at 12:42 pm

#6, Robin … What do you mean by “our once treasured way of life?” Treasured by whom? And for what reasons?

The world has changed since I was a kid riding a billy-cart on what is now the Brooker Highway, but what does that have to do with those of us who are Chinese?

4. Robin Charles Halton

July 25, 2018 at 10:51 am

#5 … Tim, you know as well as I do that Chinese influence in Australia is interfering with our once treasured way of life. These are the immigrants we do not need by having their allegiances to China.

5. Tim Thorne

July 21, 2018 at 5:16 pm

#4 … Robin: About a quarter of us are Chinese. What, exactly, will this “inflicting” consist of?

6. Robin Charles Halton

July 16, 2018 at 1:10 am

A complete waste of time as the real wake up call for the Australian population should be our concern with what China can inflict on all of us.

Hopefully, with the next Federal election coming up, our voices need to be heard.

Wake up, Australia.

7. Teresa Maddox

July 14, 2018 at 1:58 pm

#1 … It must be galling to think there are those who see human rights abuses on Manus as abhorrent and unacceptable .. and how dare anyone speak up for the protection of the earth! What the hell are they thinking?

What is there to debate about allowing the torture of people elsewhere under our watch .. when this sort of treatment is not sanctioned on our own soil?

8. Lynne Newington

July 13, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Maybe Frank Brennan could use the occasion left out in the cold by Archbishop Porteous … Justice for the Next Generation would be one of his fortes …

9. Christopher Eastman-Nagle

July 13, 2018 at 7:39 pm

I can see this is going to be a congregation of the ideologically elect giving itself an excuse to sermomise at the rest of us.

There isn’t going to be a debate at the Hobart Town Hall on on July 23rd because as far as the sermonisors go, there isn’t one. Their morality and good policy are assumed to be one and the same thing.

Anyone with the temerity to contradict them must be an unreconstructed villain who is in league with dark forces.

And who better than Julian Burnside to give his acolytes that beatific sense of being on the side of the angels? He has built his career on it.

Someone, I am sure, will produce a suitably gushing report to fan the prejudices of the faithful.

Then we can have a real debate …