‘The truth hurts: why whistleblowers get such a hard time’

First published April 15

The truth hurts. And when you blow the whistle, people get upset.

So says Martin Woods, an anti-money laundering expert and whistleblower, who says governments, companies and wider society need to rethink their attitudes towards whistleblowers in all sectors of the economy, from compliance staff in banks to nurses working in aged-care facilities.

This includes compensating them for speaking up – and paying rewards for valuable information.

“It’s human conditioning – the human race doesn’t like whistleblowers,” Woods says. “[As children], we were told, ‘don’t tell tales’, and we tell our kids, ‘don’t tell tales’. Why do we do that? We have anxiety around their social grouping, and their social acceptance, but we’re telling them not to like people who tell tales – the whistleblower.”

Woods would know. In 2006, while working in the US bank Wachovia’s anti money-laundering unit in London, he began flagging and blocking suspicious transactions that, he believed, suggested Mexican drug cartels were washing millions of dollars of dirty money through the bank, then the sixth-biggest lender in the US.

According to evidence tendered in a whistleblower lawsuit he brought against the bank, Woods quickly came under intense internal pressure to stop reporting the transactions to external authorities, as required by law, and was bullied and demoted for his actions …

Read more here

1. Kevin Moylan

April 24, 2018 at 11:32 am

Hooray Whistleblower Jeff Morris! He’s the decent and moral old-fashioned, ‘enough is enough’ civic leader who initiated The Royal Commission into our sneaky, slimy, rotten to the core banks, insurance conglomerates and bent advisors, crooks!

The now shocked and outraged citizens/consumers are wanting some big scalps and jail time for criminal wrongdoing, theft and fraud.

Let them mourn and suffer as their victims do.

NO brave Jeff Morris – NO Royal Commission. The Australian people owe him, big time, for he has lost and suffered too, for doing his civic duty and taking charge and never giving in to systemic wrongdoing.

This abhorrent legal and financial ‘can of worms’ is about to reach some more sinister places. We have all been duped and deceived for too long.

Without real Jail time, the greed and culture will continue and natural justice will not be served.

“You’re not to be so patriotic that you cannot face the truth, wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.” – Malcolm X (assassinated weeks later).

2. Kevin Moylan

April 21, 2018 at 10:02 am

#5 … Chronically, historically and pathologically “bent to Myanmar and Central African Republic standards.” Spot on Mr Hayward!

I relocated to Tassie Jan 1, 1990. I had a dream too. It got smashed to bits and I was sent packing in state sponsored danger, and terrified of my future and my Whistleblowing welfare.

IF only some concerned citizen had alerted and warned me that Tasmanian administration and its justice system is a free-range basket case – a viper pit.

I was never sick, unemployed, homeless, a victim of crime or The State, until I moved to TasMANIA!

Whistleblowers’ motto: The Public Has a Right to Know. It cost me millions, upholding that right.

3. john hayward

April 16, 2018 at 1:31 am

Yes Kevin, the Tas system is acutely bent to Myanmar or Central African Republic standards, but nearly everyone appointed to Tas regulatory body standards are accepting of that.

John Hayward

4. Chris

April 15, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Done a bitter blowing myself, cost a lot, but survived.
    Now I hear one of the Ministers for privatising Tas Water is getting annoyed on their programs of renewal and upgrades and is pushing them hard, despite not ever visiting any works.
    Is it Gut Whinger?

5. Kevin Moylan

April 15, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Here is an extract from: “One Flew Over the Kookaburra’s Nest.” Second edition 2017. Page 224 – About Whistleblowing – “Whistleblowing is a legitimate form of action in a democracy.” – Jocelyn Newman. Liberal Senator 1997.

“Howard wants to jail Whistleblowers.” – Sydney Sun Herald 2002

“Two years jail for any doctor or nurse who speaks out.” Tony Abbott. Manus Island 2015

“In three decades, there is not a single Whistleblower protection act in Australia that has protected a single Whistleblower.” – Isla MacGregor. Dissent Network Australia. Australian Nursing Journal Feature Story, February 2002. “BLOWING THE WHISTLE – THE COSTS OF SPEAKING OUT.”

“We had DEATH THREATS! It was unforgivable. THEY could have completely destroyed us.” Four Launceston General Psychiatric Ward 1E nurses. (Never Investigated! Why not? Non-citizens).

“All four nurse Whistleblowers say they have considered SUICIDE to end the hurt to themselves and their families.” Launceston EXAMINER June 2008.

Extract KOOKABURRA: Page 169. December 9 1975. United Nations Declaration on the Protection of All Persons from Torture.

ARTICLE 1: The Commonwealth of Australia is a signatory.

TORTURE means any act by which severe pain or suffering, either physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted by or at the instigation of a public official on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or confession, punishing him for an act he has committed or is suspected of having committed or intimidating him or other persons.

Assault, stalking, threats to kill and attempted murder is real ‘intimidating punishment.’ Mental Torture. Psychological Warfare.

Why doesn’t The Rule of Law apply in evil TasMANIA? Only State Sanctioned Sociopaths can behave in this cruel and criminal mindset, free from prosecution. They belong in secret Club Tasmania.

The FEDS must help us, please. This Island rabble is not fit or able to govern ‘we the people’ any longer. Real careers and lives have been ruined forever.

“No power so effectively robs the mind of all its powers and reasoning as fear.” – Edmund Burke

FEAR – FEAR – FEAR! That’s how Tassie ‘functions.’ You must see and speak no evil – or the lap-dog spooks will pay you a surprise PTSD visit that you’ll never ever forget. At least in the Wild Wild West you’re allowed to shoot back!

6. Kevin Moylan

April 15, 2018 at 9:35 am

Martin Woods says. “Emotionally your damaged forever, your belief system never returns to what it was before you blew the whistle. It’s realising that the world and the system that your operating in or living in, isn’t the world you thought it was; it’s darker more sinister than that.”

I became an ‘Involuntary’ Mental Health Whistleblower in 1995. I have not worked or nursed since. I stress ‘Involuntary’, because I never intended to ‘Go Public;’ in fact, I went to great efforts to keep my witness and evidence ‘In House’ at Spencer Psychiatric Clinic and Burnie Hospital.

My ‘belief system’ was, it’s only just and fair that they be officially alerted to the serious crimes and breaches of care and Human Rights violations occurring under their neglect, incompetence and (mis)management. Then be afforded the time and grace to make the hard decisions – and bloody FIX IT! What a naive and trusting mainlander fool was I.

The biggest mistake of my life/career was giving my Union, The Australian Nursing Federation (130,000 members), a privileged copy of my damning and confidential seven page letter to the Tasmanian Liberal Health Minister, Roger Groom. (I was the sole ANF delegate).

The ANF has always been in bed with The Labor Party. A life size portrait of Gough Whitlam hangs in the Federal Secretary’s office.

Extract: “One Flew Over the Kookaburra’s Nest.” Page 139 – Shock Horror and morbid dread!

ANF Senior Industrial Officer, Roger Law, without my knowledge or consent gave a copy of MY letter to Labor Opposition Spokesman, Peter Patmore, who politically ambushed and shafted Groom by tabling MY letter in the Tasmanian Parliament, February 22nd, 1995. I was politically doomed from day ONE!

Now I’m a reviled and despised ‘Dobber,’ an enemy of the State. Troublemaker! Someone to be loathed and feared, made an example of; instead of being respected and listened to, fix it, then move forward, ‘Together TasMANIA!’

I was mortified! Shell-shocked! Betrayed, furious, hurt, numb, confused, depressed, and very rightfully worried and afraid, fearful, of what State Sponsored political, legal, psychological and criminal reprisals (payback) are coming my ethical way. Hang on real tight! A dirty and relentless nine-year battle has just begun.

Mr Woods, may I inquire? Were you under surveillance and physically bashed? I was.

Were you subjected to death deaths and attempted murder using a motor vehicle? (TAS CS-0034). I was. “Back off or you’ll disappear, six-foot-under.”

Were you subjected to State Sponsored grief, terror and trauma, psychological and emotional warfare? I was.

Were you refused and denied procedural fairness, Natural Justice and The Rule of Law? I was.

Have you ever been systemically targeted and maliciously driven (exiled) from your home State by your own citizens in your own pretend Democratic Country? (That my father and uncle served in WW11). I was.

The final straw that broke me was bankruptcy and homelessness. May 9 2001. Labor Premier Jim Bacon had appointed me my 4th lawyer, under immense pressure from the ANF Federal Secretary, Jill Iliffe. (Jill wrote the foreword to my non-fiction book).

Extract. KOOKABURRA Page 177 –
    She wrote (edited): Dear Mr Bacon. I am seeking your personal intervention in an attempt to have his [Kevin’s] matter finalised. It is in all our interests and in the interests of humanity to do so.” You beauty, after nine anguished years some justice at last! BEWARE of The Unrecognised Socialised Sociopath(s), most of them wear suits.

Just prior to my sham and contrived pretend hearing in The Tasmanian Supreme Court. My 4th (Macquarie Street) lawyer, James Crotty, also a Labor Party candidate at the next election; who had never even devised or supplied a ‘Statement of Loss’ advises me, as cold as ice. “Mr Moylan, if you don’t accept what-ever offer The Crown makes today – then go find yourself another lawyer.”

I replied with contempt! “I will do and sign anything – with a tainted knife to my throat.”

After repaying $65,000 legal fees, Health Insurance Commission, Centrelink, Shrinks and PTSD experts and personal loans. NET WORTH = $130,000. To last me for the rest of my Van Diemen life.

Independent Pinnacle Consulting estimated my losses at $2.3 million. 23 years wages alone = $1.64 million. Loss of home, farm, rainforest and horses. Superannuation, I had $92,000 in 1995. Gone!

NONE of my/our witness and evidence was ever heard and tested in a REAL court of law; because of an impending class action concerning 90 psychiatric patients and the employment of a Senior Psychiatrist who was not legally registered to practice medicine in TasMANIA! (Maybe $20 million at stake?) Chapter 8 – Doctor Freak!

I now live in borderline poverty on a 40-year old boat, still searching, for my PTSD peace and temperance. There’s a lesson in Tassie life.

7. john hayward

April 14, 2018 at 11:20 pm

Those with the most power to protect whistle-blowers are pollies, such as Barnaby and Dutto. Their passion for justice and moral legal rectitude fairly glows.

John Hayward