Last night, we kicked off the biggest one-week campaign blitz in our movement’s history.1
In just over 12 hours, thousands of GetUp members stepped up to join the “Block The Bill Blitz” — a people-powered effort to call on Labor to vote down the dangerous Electoral Legislation Amendment (Electoral Funding and Disclosure Reform) Bill introduced into Parliament by the hard-right.
This Bill is an insidious, anti-democratic attack — and a key part of the hard-right’s plan to smash our people-powered movement and hand over even more influence to corporations and the big business lobby.
The fate of civil society and the GetUp movement hangs on Labor’s decision to support or block the Bill when they meet in Canberra this Monday.
The stakes have never been higher. That’s why GetUp’s devised a devious plan to triple the impact of an email you send today.
Here’s the plan: You write an email to your Labor MP or Senator urging them to block the bill — and we’ll supercharge it by automatically converting your email into a physical letter posted to Parliament AND a fax directly to their office (yes, politicians still use fax).
I’m ready to join the Block The Bill Blitz and triple my impact! ( https://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/democracy/mission-2-triple-your-impact/mission-triple-your-impact?t=Y14xPBH8g6 )
We have just days to thwart this attack. Can you join the Block the Bill Blitz today — and every day until Labor’s decision on Monday? It means stepping up to give 15 minutes a day for the next 6 days to the mission enclosed in your daily GetUp email.
Here’s how you join the triple impact mission:
1. Click here to write a quick email using GetUp’s easy email form ( https://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/democracy/mission-2-triple-your-impact/mission-triple-your-impact?t=Y14xPBH8g6 ).
2. Your email will be instantly sent to the email inbox of your local Labor MP or Senator
3. GetUp will turn that email into a fax and postal letter to their Parliamentary office
What does this mean in practice? Not only will your email appear right at the top of your MP or Senator’s inbox. Not only will their office spring to life with the chirping and grinding of their (usually very quiet) fax machine. When they arrive in Canberra on Monday — ahead of making this landmark decision — they’ll also be welcomed by a barrage of postal letters.
Today’s mission is critical because of its supercharged impact. Can you take 3 minutes now to write up a quick email? ( https://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/democracy/mission-2-triple-your-impact/mission-triple-your-impact?t=Y14xPBH8g6 )
This is going to be huge. And we’re just getting started.
Paul, for the GetUp team
PS. The Electoral Legislation Amendment (Electoral Funding and Disclosure Reform) Bill 2017 is sponsored by the far-right and is a key part of their plan to:
• Decimate the impact of civil society — forcing charities and grassroots organisations to join a government register, follow complex new rules or face 10 years in prison.
• Trash GetUp’s proud independence by forcing us to affiliate with one or more political parties.
• Choke off half of GetUp’s funding by forcing anyone who donates more than $4.80 a week to get a formal document signed and witnessed by a Justice of the Peace.
• The icing on the cake? The hard-right have devised this Bill to only apply to civil society — for massive corporations and the fossil fuel lobby, it’ll be business as usual.
PPS. The next 6 days are crucial. That means you’ll receive more emails from GetUp than normal.
 GetUp targets Labor in ‘biggest ever’ week-long blitz over foreign donations law, The Guardian, 20 February 2018.
Authorised by Paul Oosting, Level 14, 338 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000.
Paul Oosting, GetUp