pressreleases

When mum goes to prison

More women are entering Australian prisons than ever before. When they’re also mothers, the consequences for families can be devastating.

Read here
ABC

1. Lynne Newington

June 26, 2017 at 1:58 pm

@7. I know there are many who would appreciate your response, where even the sight of a crucifix is traumatizing…..let alone a collar.

2. Stephen Menadue

June 26, 2017 at 4:50 am

Thanks L.N.
    I was harsh towards you, i’m sorry. The only consolation for victims i can put forward is that those within the church who have hidden behind its skirts after committing such offences will be judged harshly by their maker if they cannot come forward and admit to what they have done.
    Also, to ALL who bag out the church and then have a hatred towards Christianity-God NEVER gave permission for any of His flock to do such things.

3. Lynne Newington

June 25, 2017 at 9:23 pm

You’ve got it wrong Stephen @1. My comment was pointedly at the article and the women mentioned, one way or another were vulnerable and the link I gave added to it. I was trying to explain when it involves clergy or religious, the women are relegated to being virtually of an unsound mind or there-abouts while the paricular priest mentioned in the Age, the result of the whole damned fiasco, publicly, was in good standing within the church when in truth quite the opposite.
    Women in these situations receive suspended sentences saved by the church, unlike their fellow sisters who receive a conviction and /or sent to jail.
    The problem is [in my opinion] today, sadly many men are losing their identity and what goes with it and I don’t mean by using their fists either, quite the opposite.
    I have hopefully, made myself clear so continue to be cheerful……I could’ve made worse by going into further detail.

4. Stephen Menadue

June 25, 2017 at 12:32 am

What do you mean #3. Are you saying that behind every crime committed(voluntarily) by a woman- that should be justified- has a male hovering-pulling her strings. Everybody has an entitlement to an opinion but you dead set sound like you are a man hater. If i have interpreted your comment harshly, please forgive me. However, if you really just want to vent your hatred towards men, you’re not doing any victims a favour by promoting your own agenda.
    Please look a bit deeper into WHY crimes are committed instead of the gender of the offender.
    Do yourself a favour and think a bit deeper about these issues.
    Cheers.

5. Lynne Newington

June 24, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Well at least mother Maree is a success story……and good wishes for her future.

6. Lynne Newington

June 24, 2017 at 2:04 pm

There’s a human story here with a male always hovering in the background…
    If crimes hadn’t been connected to a priest or religious there would be more women incarcerated one on public record automatically comes to mind.

7. Simon Warriner

June 24, 2017 at 1:20 pm

It’s a heart rending tale, but also a vexed one.
    Do we impose lesser sentences on women, because they are women? How would that be done? Wouldn’t it be discriminatory? And what of the role of the judiciary, who have the power of sentencing and generally the ability to take the impact of the sentence into account?
    Is this a women only issue, or is it tied up with a generally rising incarceration rate, and to be addressed with whatever measures are implemented to address that issue?

Absent discussion of those questions I find it difficult to avoid the conclusion that this is an instance of an appeal to motherhood to lessen the burden on those who do the wrong thing and happen to be mothers. The reluctance to accept personal responsibility for ones wrong-doing in society is already problematic enough. Special deals for certain groups at sentencing will only worsen the problem.

And yes, better political representation would be a step in the right direction. At least there might be less conflicting the facts with a “tough on crime” dog whistle.

8. TV Resident

June 23, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Maybe I am hardened or something because I have NO pity for these people who wind up in jail…If they didn’t break the law they would not be seperated from their kids. Their kids deserve a far better role model than parents who break the law.