No news on when Syrian refugees will reach Tasmania
Government must update on its promise to resettle 500
The Hodgman Government must provide Tasmanians with an update on when it will make good on its promise to offer safe haven to 500 Syrian refugees after remaining silent on the issue for too long.
Shadow Multicultural Affairs Minister Madeleine Ogilvie said while the Premier had committed to the intake of refugees, now was the time to detail when and how the plan would be enacted.
“We heard from the Premier on January 31 that there were delays but since then there has been silence,” Ms Ogilvie said.
“It’s now been six months since the original announcement was made that Tasmania would extend its hand to help in this humanitarian crisis but still there is no news.
“Where exactly are these 500 refugees? Are they stuck overseas in camps? Have they reached Australia?
“We see images of desperation in our media every day and we have the capacity to help in so many ways.
“Tasmanians see the desperation and they want and deserve a statesman-like response from our Premier and our national leaders.
“But, for unknown reasons, this resettlement program is dragging on and on.
“Now is the time to step up and determinedly focus on when and how it is going to happen.”
Madeleine Ogilvie MP Shadow Multicultural Affairs Minister