Southern Water, please explain

About 6 weeks ago, Southern water notified us that they were installing water meters in our Howrah area over a set period of time.

They arrived and proceeded to tread on a couple of bushes while they installed the meter at an odd angle, but probably in line with the pipe.

We put up with the loss of a bush and gave Southern Water the benefit of the doubt.

But, today, they came back, unheralded by any postcard, trampled all over the rain-sodden lawn with heavy boots and trampled to death the spring bulbs which were just beginning to raise their heads, hopefully having pushed their way through the thick, clay soil Southern Water’s previous excavations had thrown up.

Surely, Southern Water are not allowed to come onto our land without permission and they didn’t get our permission before this unwelcome repeat visit.

How many times do they think they need to come back, without warning, without leaving a card in the postbox or without knocking to see if anyone was home (there was).

• Susan Havard can be contacted through Tasmanian Times: editor@oldtt.pixelkey.biz

1. Peter

August 17, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Southern Water lost a million litres of water yesterday when one of their high-pressure pipes burst near Cambridge, on the way to Hobart Airport.

Water sprayed over the Tasman highway, forcing motorists to turn on their wipers.

Ian Dunbabin from Southen Water said it was a major failure. Sure was, Ian – another one for Southern Water.

Photo here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-17/20110817-burst-water-main/2843924

2. Bonni Hall

August 17, 2011 at 2:37 pm

It is my understanding that various bodies may come on to your land without permission. But, as I told an Aurora man when I suddenly saw him digging in a garden bed near the foot of a private power pole, ” You may have the right to come on to this land, but I have the right to expect manners!” The other man with him apologised and conceded that I was correct. At that the rude one said ” Let’s drive to the other pole”.I very bluntly told him that he could walk as it was only a matter of about 20 metres away. This was after two weeks of rain. really soggy lawns and the following weekend we were holding an Open Garden! Manners maketh the man (and woman).

3. sam betts

August 16, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I wouldn’t be planting anything soon in that spot, the National Broadband Network NBN is next to come and plough up your garden. Didnt Bartlett make it opt-in ?

4. Trevor K

August 16, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Clearly readers don’t understand the rules of a fascist state.

5. ALF1

August 16, 2011 at 12:19 pm

This article is coincidental with my observation of a yellow-coated, unkempt, long-haired chap standing in my front yard this week; head bowed as though in reverence to the diversity of weeds growing in the water-meter region.

Now I know that Tasmanian Fisheries inspectors, with more legal power of entry than the FBI (true) can without a warrant or any formal notification, enter your home and make a beeline for your freezer.

Now it seems, thanks to the Sue Havard anecdote, can the ‘water-meter-man’ enter premises and take a reading.

What really should happen of course is, from the perspective of the ever-confused state of water bills, is notification and consultation. I should be asked to verify the reading he has taken. How in the hell would I know if he’s added a nought or two?

“We never seem to stop paying water bills,” said my wife, after bringing my attention to the intruder, exclaiming at the shock of his sudden materialisation, car nearby, waiting for a quick get-away.

At least the power meter-man in the old days, knocked on the door, smiling apologetically at his intrusion on our sacrosanct privacy. Those were the days of course when public servants were both courteous and afraid of dogs.

Hmmm!

6. Stephan

August 16, 2011 at 11:44 am

Susan

When we believe that we “own” the land we’ve paid for, well, as Michael Caton said in the Castle “Tell ’em they’re dreamin'”. You don’t – it can be taken away in seconds for cause.

My meter is on my land also. Sadly I have no front fence, just a very untidy shrub hedge which now has a gap in it. Meter readers will enter my property to get readings and I have somebody else’s property to avoid when doing yardwork and mowing. Joy!! The only saving grace is that if there’s a leak on the street side of the meter then Southern Water can go take a flying leap.