Politics

Did she really say that?

Lara: I haven’t had the best of sleeps, but I certainly had some.

Reporter: The Premier says homelessness in Tasmania continues to be a huge issue.

Lara: And on a per-capita basis we believe we’ve got our share of homeless people equivalent to other cities as well which is why we’ve got a plan to try to deal with the homelessness here in Hobart and around the rest of Tasmania …

1. Kay Seltitzas

August 7, 2011 at 3:17 am

We are certainly angry and we have to change all of the hyenas masquerading as our leaders, and I do include BB and his ilk. It has not gone un noticed that the Greens are yellow.. PEOPLE POWER HAS PROVEN ITS EFFECTIVENESS in the world arena..I am all for it- the current Australia wide political system and its members need to get their snouts out!
    Kay Seltitzas

2. Justa Bloke

August 6, 2011 at 9:07 pm

George, my answers are: No, never; No; No; Yes (long-term, rather than short); and Yes of course, that’s only common sense.

3. concerned resident

August 6, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Personally Woody…I think our scant population is too small to even have a state gov’t along with all of their bureaucrats, bodyguards etc. There don’t seem to be enough willing people who aren’t related in some way or mates with the current mob of buffoons who think that all they do is unquestionable and that they can keep repeating ‘commercial in confidence’, when they pull a swifty that they don’t want us to know about. I don’t think that it works as a democracy but more like a dictatorship when the people with money, whether they be governmental or not, can buy the answers and funds they crave to feed their greed, at the expense of the electors as is happening right now with Gunns.

4. Greg James

August 6, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Dear George, thanks for all your comments of support for the anti-gaming stance. You have shown to us all over the years so sensitively and to the victims what true Labor values are.
    To answer your questions. Yes, yes, no, wrong. The Greens with their current leadership have no chance of forming a government. No, politics does not work that way even for the ALP and the Liberals are incapable of organizing a bruising fight for power. It is irrelevant to me what the Labor or Liberals do to the Greens. I consciously vote independent for the very reason that you ask your questions. Do you? I cannot imagine why a man of your caliber identifies with the ALP, you are not a boss, you are not an entrepreneur, you are not a captain of industry, you in fact are a worker. This bothers me that you are stuck in a 19th century paradigm, when the two party system was created and you cannot deal with a third party or thought outside the LIB/LAB limited scope of imagination. This bothers me because you think your ideas are important, they were in 1980, but now they are well past their use by date. The fact that you consider it a worry that the Labor Party is beginning to hate the Greens, where were you in the 80’s,90’s and the 00’s. This is not new, this is politics, its how it works.
    So George, I have answered your questions, will you please answer one for me.
    When Lara expressed she was raised with Labor values on Q&A, why did no one in the ALP question her reaction to the gaming question, that she had consulted the bosses, who wanted no change. The question is, who is important to Labor values, the victims as they were ably represented by Mr Windspear or the owners who profit from the misery they create from gaming machines. George its a two choice question, victims or owners. When you answer that question, whichever way, we will understand you better.

5. Dave Groves

August 6, 2011 at 10:16 am

#4. Her ya go George…for all it’s worth.

I personally have no time for the Liblabreen accord.

They all seem to enjoy time at the trough.

We need those at the helm with a purpose of social and environmental equity for our long term sustainability and viability….no one is doing well at this by observation….

I believe though, that it is a completely flawed system that has failed to change in real and practical terms since it was introduced and so those who arrive with good intentions are quickly introduced to the wonderful world of chauffeurs, perks and lurks and fat wallets.

Our system has morphed into the clumsy juggernaut we see today encouraging our leaders into hastily making ill informed decisions and spending our hard earned like there is no tomorrow and with scant regard for any consequences.

Where will it end……as the show unfolds, I’m sure we will find out….

6. George Harris aka woodworker

August 6, 2011 at 2:13 am

But can you answer the questions I raise?
    I don’t care if you don’t respond to me, but can you answer to yourselves?

7. Michael and Bonni Hall

August 5, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Did anyone else notice that Ms. Giddings had a flunkey in attendance in the morning after her ‘not much but some’ nights sleep to help her with her sleeping bag etc.? How many homeless people have a flunkey?

8. Justa Bloke

August 5, 2011 at 9:41 pm

George (#4) I reckon the Greens and Independents are no better. All any election can do is change which snouts are feeding from the trough. Elections can’t get rid of either the snouts or the trough. Only the people, informed, angry, united and organised, can do that.

9. Ros Barnett

August 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Hey George. I’m very disillusioned with the current government, but not yet delusional. I won’t be giving up on my left leaning conservationist views because some people have not been the inspiring legislators I had hoped for.

I’m careful when discussing politics to not use words like ‘hate’. Politics should be a civilised pastime with no blood on the walls. You could tone down the rhetoric so as to not be responsible for more of the old divisive ‘wars’. I like to discuss policy and not people, and to criticise actions and not personalities.

It is a long time to the next election. If I were a betting person I wouldn’t mind a few bob on it being sooner than scheduled. When I do feel like having a grizzle it is the same old topics … the lack of real consultation and transparency, the lack of vision, the ineptitude of the advisors, the parochialism …

Yeah I like a good grizzle and where better than here on TT.

10. moo

August 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Woody #4 They’re not called the LibLabs for nothing

11. Rocky

August 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

George #4, it’s not a case whether we like or dislike the Labour/Liberal or Green parties, It all boils down to the attitude and actions of each individual politician and how they interact with their electorate. Democracy is by the people for the people not by the politician for the corporation.
    As for me, most politicians are like that piece of plantation timber you had at the wood expo. No matter how many times you planed it straight, within a very short time it would bend again.
    Rod Hutchins

12. George Harris aka woodworker

August 5, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I gather people on this site don’t like Lara all that much, and you don’t like the Labor party all that much.
    Am I to assume that you like the Liberal party more, and you can’t wait for them to form the next state government?
    Or do you have the delusion that somehow the Greens will form the next majority government?
    Or do you have the delusion that the Greens will be the senior coalition partner in the next state parliament, and will be able to survive on the floor of that parliament, and be able to steer their legislation into the hands of the members of the Legislative Council, who will then graciously bow to the fact you have expressed your will?
    Do you think it is doing the long-term interests of the Greens any good that all this grizzling nonsense from Greens supporters (and Greens senators) is driving many ALP supporters to hate your guts, and to say they will never again direct preferences to any Green? Do you realize there are many among both the Liberal and Labor supporters who are saying to each other that their parties should exchange preferences, and push the Greens out in the cold where they belong?

13. John Miller

August 5, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Someone has been taking lessons from “Yes Minister” although any news on a commercial station has been hacked to pieces. I’d like to know what she really said. Perhaps the Salvation Army could oblige. On the other hand, if we had a decent TV industry we could make a show entitled “Yes Premier” because we’ve got enough clowns to fill the cast.

14. Dave Groves

August 5, 2011 at 9:20 am

The plan is to build a pulp mill and give them jobs there.

The unwashed will be able to bath in warm pulp mill effluent which will be “beer coloured”, but “won’t taste very good” (if you remember those golden quotes).

Here is a win win.

Funds taken from health will go toward this magnificent ode to nineteenth century chemical industry while the homeless will be employed and washed in a manner that leaves just a tiny pitter patter of carbon footprint.

Onya Lara….there is no end to you talent as we all sit back and watch this show roll on…

15. Trevor K

August 5, 2011 at 5:24 am

Well I suppose there will be a lot of empty hospital wards soon. What about those Lara?

Or grandstands at Bellerive during the week? Lara you could leave the taxpayer funded lights on, to say 9pm, so they can read before snuggling down.

And of course Lara there will be a stock of empty schools coming up shortly as well.

Hey, this is easy once you get going. Can I have a job Lara, as an adivser?