Gunns: The Statement of Principles is a major step forward …

Pulp Mill Update

We are applying significant effort to achieving dual certification for the plantation resource. The Tasmanian Statement of Principles is a majorr step forward but we acknowledge the need to consult with the community and other groups not party to the statement in respect of the environmental credentials of the pulp mill as now planned.

Significant progress has been made in relation to the dydrodynamic modelling which has been carried out in Bass Strait over the last 12 months. Work on the submissionsrelating to the remaining environmental conditions mandated by the Federal Government is nearing completion.

Download:

31tj0ch6zt2l5j.pdf

1. MArk Wybourne

November 11, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Well, all I can say is what I and all MY neighbours have experienced with Gunns and other forestry companies (including FT – and if you want to rank then they were the worst).

They were all good, happy to talk about alterations and so forth – I even got a little bit of road tickled up once. All my nieghbours were and are happy with them. Maybe the people here that have whinged about them either expected too much, or were totally unreasonable, or unfortunately did strike the wrong individual to deal with. I’m not sure – does Tasmanian society now expect the forest industry to make fewer mistakes than are acceptable in the medical profession or something. It seems to me from this site that a lot of people gleefully jump on an abberation by the forest industry, then talk about it as though it is representative of the industry. It’s a real shame if that is the case.

2. francis

November 11, 2010 at 12:12 pm

#7 I think it is you that is full of it. Given you had laboratory tests done I presume you can provide a copy of the report here? I for one would be very interested to see it.

3. Keep trying

November 1, 2010 at 11:44 am

Re # 6 Funny how I had to react to rudeness, arrogance and bullying from a “team” of Gunns boys when expressign concern over a neighbouring operation. After that Mark I was covering 2 of your catergories, plus they learnt some aditional tricks.

This is after I had to chase them for the notice of intent that I was to recieve.That right it was not Gunns fault is was the authorised Forest Practices Officer.

The bastards got as good as they give, and recommend that everyone treats them with the suspicion and contempt they deserve. Do not forget to FOI the FPP from your local council BEFORE speaking with any of them.

I hope you gave them some biscuits and a warm cup of tea Mark?

4. d.i.nicholas

October 30, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Mark, you are full of it because my family and i lived on a farm and could not prevent any of the things that occured when a plantation was formed next to us to repace a beautiful forest that teemed with wildlife including a mass of tasmanian devils.
    When we complained about aerial spray drifting onto our land and into our dams we were told to suffer it .Our faithful dog became ill and recovered after nearly a month of intensive care .She had picked up an old bone on one of our walks which contained 1080 poison .and yes laboritary tests ordered by the vet proved her near death experience was caused by 1080.
    It was common to see wallabies hanging upside down with their hind legs caught between the two top wires of the boundry fence ,some dead and some struggling,because they were too weak to clear it as they normally would.
    I could go on about the furrows full of baits and the variety of fauna that lay beside them
    dead including birds ,but i won’t bother you with that.
    This new type forest industry in my opinion is as dirty as it comes and i believe Gunns to be no exception to this as the almighty dolars they seek overides the welfare of all in its path.

5. Mark Wybourne

October 30, 2010 at 4:15 pm

RE 5: Not true John. I am one of their neighbours and I found them courteous and pleasent, and willing to adjust things like spray boundaries when I expressed some misgivings.

I suspect that what you are referring to is how they react to rudeness, arrogance and bullying. Do you fall into any of those categories?

6. john hayward

October 30, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Anyone who has received aerial spraying or intention to commence forestry operations notifications knows exactly what Gunns means by “consult”.

The moot points now concern who a financially wounded Gunns will sell its lavish, transferable mill entitlements to, and how TWS and ET will deal with the lynch mobs after people realise what has been done to them behind closed doors.

John Hayward

7. Observer

October 30, 2010 at 10:04 am

ah.. the Emperor has new clothes…. with a different designer label!

8. salamander

October 30, 2010 at 9:10 am

“the environmental credentials of the pulp mill as now planned.”
    It doesn’t have any environmental credentials, as now planned – and never will!

9. Karl Stevens

October 30, 2010 at 12:33 am

I can’t see the Tamar groups ‘consulting’ with Gunns unless Gunns have the ‘Pulp Mill Assessment Act’ repealed. (We all know they can do this with 2 phone calls)
    Somebody has to stand-up to these industrial-grade totalitarians.

10. Dave Groves

October 29, 2010 at 10:46 pm

What can I say….after six years of this shite from these imbeciles….mmmm….nothing I can write here.

Still, every circus needs a clown, and this big top is chokkas.

Roll that show on……..

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Receive Our Weekly Tas Roundup