Environment

Llewellyn must answer to this catastrophe

When I first bought my house in Rosebery I was so excited to have my very first home.

I loved the wild and rugged mountainous country with the magnificent backdrop of Mt Murchison and the dense deep green rainforests.

I didn’t know about any heavy metal contamination and I thought thatthere was no pollution problem because Rosebery was an UNDERGROUND mining town.

I put a lot of work in renovating my house and garden and this just exposed me to the toxic heavy metals in Rosebery even more.

IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN THE TRUTH ABOUT MY HOUSE BEING A CONTAMINATED SITE – I WOULD NEVER HAVE BOUGHT THE HOUSE IN ROSEBERY.

Nobody told me about other houses nearby that had had their yards fully remediated years before or that any people had become poisoned with heavy metals in the town.

I have had to leave Rosebery and all my dreams behind.

I WILL NOT SELL MYHOUSE IN ROSEBERY to any person and pass on this deadly legacy.

The Contaminated Sites Unit in the Environmental Protection Authority has failed to act with a duty of care to the people of Rosebery.

Minister Llewellyn needs to answer to this catastrophe in Rosebery and the EPA’s role in it.

Homes for sale … Dave Groves: HERE

1. Oliver Wade

January 18, 2010 at 8:40 pm

John, it is I am afraid utterly irrelevant as to what you may have been taught at school. Ditto Steve, these simply are the facts as they stand and as regulated by government today. If you can’t understand or choose to display an inability to understand that is your problem, not mine. I don’t necessarily disagree with some of your views as to perhaps what should be termed primary industry but I am not a policy maker, nor have any involvement in government departmental/portfolio structure determinations.

Similarly I don’t give a wiki toss, as the definition as perhaps used in that illustrious on-line info source as it is neither correct as per how all these industries are managed here in Tasmania (or perhaps mis-managed in your view) nor is that illustrious source of information infallible from mistakes. It is not what you would call afterall a peer reviewed and credible source of information. Basically anyone can enter info on Wiki irrespective of whether the information is actually factual.

So, and based on how all these different areas of production and processing are divided up in Tasmania as I have stated, and anyone can check this, this is actually the situation. Sorry guys you can argue all you like about what you may think should be covered under primary production. It just isn’t so in Tassie.

I don’t know how such matters are organised in other states in Aus as I simply havn’t taken the time to check, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is similar to Tassie.

I can’t comment on your observations of your past fishing days and your tax concessions nor know anything about the PAL dogfood situation re plantations. Frankly I have no interest in such matters.

The only thing I will say is yes I agree it is a pity when good farming land is covered by plantations, just as much as I don’t like good farming land covered by boring little houses as part of the urban spread. However, it is a reality of today’s economic picture, and I guess the land owners choice to sell to who-ever they wish to and offers the best price.

2. Steve

January 18, 2010 at 4:47 pm

14; Thank you trying to help my basic understanding Oliver. I think though that you may need to help a few others also.
    Wikapedia definition of Primary industry is “The primary sector of the economy involves changing natural resources into primary products. Most products from this sector are considered raw materials for other industries. Major businesses in this sector include agriculture, agribusiness, fishing, forestry and all mining and quarrying industries.”
    I distinctly remember that in my professional fishing days I was classed as a primary producer by the tax department. I’m a bit concerned that when you point out the truth to them, they’re going to want to take back all the tax concessions they gave me. Suppose I’ll just have to take my chances.
    I am however pleased to hear that the PAL (Protection of Agricultural Land) act has nothing to do with forestry. That should stop these pesky plantations going in on good farming land.
    Please could you get busy and spread the word. As you say it’s not difficult to understand.

3. crud

January 18, 2010 at 4:23 pm

PRATT BY NAME, PRATT BY (APAD)

4. oliver wade

January 18, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Re # 11 and 13. Correct Mining is not classified as Primary Industry, nor never has been irrespective of your basic understanding.

Primary Industry is specifically land based Agriculture,ie. vegetables, fruit, dairy and livestock. It doesn’t include either land based fishing activities or marine farms (ie, fish farms). These are regulated by Inland Fisheries and the Marine Farm Planning Branch of DPIW.

Mining comes under DIER (ie. Department of Infrastructure Energy and Resouces) and more specifically Mineral Resources Tasmania. Check the website or ph book and this is quite clear. MRT used to be called the Mines Department.

Forestry similarly has never been classified as Primary Industry and clearly comes under Forestry Tasmania. Forestry is not agriculture, even in respect of Tree plantations.

It is really not that difficult to understand this.

5. Mike Adams

January 18, 2010 at 9:46 am

The King River illustrates the lack of concern over environmental issues that the mining industry had. Getting rich quickly (shades of the Gold Rush haunt Australia) then shooting through were the norm.
    Anyone proposing to live anywhere near old mining works and tailings would need to think long and clearly about the hazards.

6. Steve

January 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm

4; Mining’s not a primary industry??!!

7. Bonni Hall

January 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Perhaps catastophe was too strong a word to use as is ‘in shock’ and being ‘devasted’ when one’s footy team don’t win or some cyclist or tennis player is not on form.Nevertheless, something is wrong in Rosebery and an independant enquiry needs to be conducted as indeed it does into so many other Government activities,or do I mean inactivities, in Tasmania.

8. Ian Rist

January 17, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Catastrophe…Tornado suits him much better, every where he has gone he has left a trail of destruction.

9. Russell

January 17, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Re #4
    Catastrophe = An event resulting in great loss and misfortune.

It doesn’t mean that thousands of people have to be affected.

Wouldn’t you consider it a catastrophe if you, George Pratt (normally of good health), were afflicted with some totally debilitating or fatal illness due to something not caused by yourself? That you had to move away from your home and source of income to recover? That you couldn’t then sell your house in Rosebery?

Wouldn’t you expect the local council and the Health Department, as a duty of care, to warn people of a known problem as part of the conditions of sale and purchase of a property, as is elsewhere in the same state?

David Llewellyn was previously (just before Lala Giddings) the Minister of Health and Community Services. You haven’t been here in Tasmania long, George?

Let’s hope you, heartless as you are, aren’t afflicted with a similar catastrophe, George.

10. Concerned Resident

January 17, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Everyone sounds surprised…The lab/lib gov’t are willing to trade the health of all Tasmanians with the timber industries activities…such as the pulp mill and the chemicals that are sprayed quite liberally everywhere, not to mention the contamination of Bass Strait if the mill goes ahead.
    So another coverup is not surprising, I wonder how many more we don’t know about.

11. Jasmine

January 17, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Is Llewellyn still living??, if so, then you have more chance of getting a response from a corpse than from David Llewellyn, Tasmania’s Minister for doing nothing.

12. salamander

January 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Just wait for the spin, the careful responses that tell nothing. It’s dead silence so far. Llewellyn will no doubt juggle this hot potato and pass it to someone else – he has been around long enough to know how.

All the state testing has apparently turned up zero result on any poisoning or contamination, yet the pets who were tested elsewhere got very positive results. Will the government agency suddenly discover the real results that they didn’t want to release, hiding in the rubbish?

13. George Pratt

January 17, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Just a few clarifications. What catastrophe, for I havn’t seen anyone dieing from anything associated with Rosebery. It is not as if all of Rosebery’s population is sick and dieing. I think really the use of such terminology is both nonsensical and inconsiderate. A catastrophe is what has happened in Haiti or perhaps as a result of the Tsunamis a few years back !!!

All we have here is a localised issue of some elevated metals in soil and water. Sorry but big deal, for you will find this right accross the west coast. It is a mineralised area, that is why there are mines there !!

Now as to what on earth has Minister Llewellyn got to have to do with this issue. He is the Minister for Primary Industries (that is agriculture) and water. As well as Energy and Resources,and Planning. So Marsha get a handle and appropriately target the correct Minister if you have an issue there. Check his website if in doubt.

I hate to have to point out the obvious, but I thought it was up to every individual’s responsibility to do their own check on a property they were buying. Buyer beware I think is the term, so what checks did you do before you bought your house in Rosebery? Not many by the sounds of it.

As far as I understand it, from what I have read it is only a few houses and in a very localised area that seem to have some issues with some metals being elevated, hardly the huge issue that you seem to be so concerned about.

And lastly as to your idiotic claims about the contaminated sites unit failing to act with a duty of care for the people of Rosebery, you simply have no idea. I wouldn’t have thought that such a unit of the EPA has any such role. I would be certain they have in fact have done everything required of them by the task force that the Government set up in response to yours and the other resident’s concerns.

The problem is that you don’t like the answers that were found. Sorry but that is life sometimes.

I now understand from what I have read that a full survey of Rosebery is to be undertaken, with the resident’s of Rosebery’s co-operation. This to me seems like a reasonable process to follow.

As to the question of compensation, I guess just two points, from whom and for what exactly. As I said above buyer beware is a reasonable expectation of any home owner. I don’t see any evil Dave Groves apart from the continual ignorance and absurdity of some people here continuing to perpetuate a sad story.

14. Ian Rist

January 17, 2010 at 11:48 am

Llewellyn must answer a lot of catastrophes….

15. Russell

January 17, 2010 at 10:11 am

Sounds like a good case for compensation.

16. Dave Groves

January 17, 2010 at 7:25 am

I used to think it was pure incompetence that shrouded our alleged leaders, but now they have convinced me they are truly evil, and pass their lives with impunity, simply taking public money for jam and neglecting serious duty, watching people suffer and ignoring the plight of community.

It’s a twisted pleasure I can’t understand…that they can be so reviled and still smile…

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Receive our newsletter