Environment

Foxes: Dogs work better …

TONY PEACOCK,

From personal experience, I know that a trained fox scat detecting dog is better at finding fox scats than me. Which is good, because I didn’t want to take it up as a career anyway. In the small demonstration I described in an earlier post, one dog was actually better than more than a dozen people working together to find fox scats. The dogs, magnificent black labradors, have been employed in the effort to rid Tasmania of a small number of foxes. Some people in Tasmania have asked why use scat-detecting dogs? It seems a complex way to find a fox – why not just trap the foxes or use traditional methods like sand pads (a layer of sand is raked and smoothed, usually where you’d expect animals to be, like a trail or near something attractive like food or scent markings, then you look for the tracks)? Read more here

1. Ian Rist

July 3, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Here is a video showing animals dying after ingesting 1080 poison from primary and secondary poisoning.

WARNING This video contains shocking images.

You will need to TYPE this in EXACTLY AS ABOVE.
    Then/or youtube search bar:

Graf Bros NZ 1080 poison video #2

2. Ian Rist

July 3, 2009 at 7:13 am

Jim #13 Just came in…3.10 a.m. no foxes calling tonight either. Perfect night for listening,plenty of Boobook owls,possums,even a couple of devils having an argument…but no foxes.
    Well at least they haven’t poisoned all the devils with 1080 yet.

3. Ian Rist

July 3, 2009 at 7:07 am

Ah the purveyors of poison, that’s it keep digging a deeper hole for yourselves.
    It doesn’t matter who you get to do your posting for you, what state i.e WA. What country i.e. USA. We can track you down.
    You have taken the bait very,very well. LOL. LOL.
    You do realise the consequences for tampering with a witness,don’t you?

4. Ian Rist

July 2, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Thanks Gerry # 12. They don’t worry me as they are cowards. Anyone that sanctions or participates in 1080 poisoning of innocent animals just to keep a job or their egos intact are cowards. They should take a dose themselves and do us all a favour.
    They cannot trap,shoot,poison or even photograph a resident Tasmanian fox so all they have got is their beloved 1080, hoping the can keep perpertratng the lie that 1080 poisoned foxes can’t be found.
    I should post a disgusting photograph of a pile of 1080 poisoned foxes recovered from one property in Victoria. If Linz will post it I will give it to him.

5. David Obendorf

July 2, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Back in your corners gentlemen please (comments #9, 10 and 11).

Gerry Mander has a very wise comment (#12)- watch your back, Ian.

Tit-for-tat attacks wont sort this out; it’s only used as an attempt to discredit an opponent in the eyes of others watching. Don’t fall for these tactics.

6. don davey

July 2, 2009 at 3:48 pm

(9)

Ok ! Gray or whoever you are and I can hazard a guess from three, but the last time I tried, I was knobbled by the editor for some reason or another, you are a spineless piece of shit ! Risty and I are but phone acquaintances and I just happen to agree with the “FACT” that there are no foxes endemic in Tasmania , nor do i believe for a moment there is even one ! unless there is a breeding program currently being conducted to prove the case !

You and your thieving cohorts know exactly what you are and areendeavouring to cover your tracks in any way you can.

Well sonny Jim ! my name, number, and address, are there for all to see ! and perhaps you are the pathetic whining little turd that that has been phoning me ! keep it up ! and bring it on, you and your kind don’t for one moment phase me !

d.d.

7. tom Gray

July 2, 2009 at 3:22 pm

10 and 11 – Ian….touchy, touchy, touchy!!! You will only give me a few sentences??? How many wasted sentences have you given everyone else over the years!!! re. number 11 – as I said mate keep telling yourself a lie for long enough and you start to believe it!! As for coming up and seeing you, wouldn’t waste my time heading up to Calder Road, Wynyard – been to Wynyard a few times in my life, and was surprised at how dull it was! have more exciting things to do with my time – was surprised at how many people ride on disabled scooters!!!
    Mr Wristy, how did you go with taking legal action on big Kev….would have been a short hearing I assume???

I have a full head of hair but I may have a little girth. And as I stated before I have no interest/money earning capacity from the FEP………..You’re slipping old man!

8. J A Stevenson

July 2, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I keep asking the question but no one answers.
    What is the purpose of scat collecting?
    If one actually sees a fox in the act of leaving it’s calling card it serves no purpose, they do not travel at a snails pace. 24 hours later it is probaly 24km away or more. They can run at 50km.
    Dog foxes should have been highly vocal since April. Vixens should also have been heard squalling. Both calls can easily be heard at 1000 metres. Not one has been reported. Either there are none here or else everyone is deaf.
    J A Stevenson. Fox Control Association hythorn@aapt.net.au

9. Gerry Mander

July 2, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Shades of Lennon. Looks like the dirt file has been dug out Ian.
    Watch your back!

10. Ian Rist

July 2, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Big problem you have got “Tom Gray” is that I have got 98% of people ON MY SIDE.
    You are losing this heist/earner and you know it!

11. Ian Rist

July 2, 2009 at 12:47 pm

“Tom Gray” first time caller – LIAR. If you know where I live come up and see me some time…you wouldn’t have and never have had what it takes, you are just a pathetic little cyber bully.

SPINELESS – I always sign my real name, I don’t keep changing it as you have to you pissweak little apparatchik.

Couple of short sentences is more than you deserve “Tom Gray”

12. Tom Gray

July 2, 2009 at 4:39 am

hi Ian,
    long time listener first time caller. I really love your ability to look sexy even when you are totally wrong. You constantly call yourself Ian from Calder (among other names) on different web sites, but in fact you are Ian from Wynyard – Calder road Wynyard if you want to be exact. And before you start up and say ‘kicks – enjoy your time on the gravy train’, I can honestly say I do not work for the fox program. What I do know is that never has one more spineless individual put more effort into undermining one of the most important programs Tasmania has ever instigated. One point you constantly bring up – it has changed over the last couple of years, WHERE IS THE FOX??? Have you ever in your limited intellect sat back and thought to yourself – not many foxes in Tasmania = nil returns when it comes to baiting campaigns etc….. I know people within the program and they are the most committed individuals to the cause which they are employed to perform – ‘gravy train’ shouldn’t you and your cronies be saying ‘base level – kicked in the guts at every turn public servants”??? You constantly ask for questions, but these poor people cannot answer your inane rants because they are not at the level in the public service where they can actively stand up for themselves in the public forum.
    Mr Wristy it is time for you to put up or shut up. You claim to know everything??? Which from your much loved PAC inquiry (and I have read the transcripts), you were going to provide the biggest breaking story since Tom jumped on Oprah’s couch, but all your claims were baseless – apart from your bit in a closed off arena, but from the preceding questions you sounded like you really tore it apart!

For you to keep spending your each and every waking hour (I know there is not much to do in Wynyard) degrading something that 98% of Tasmanians believe is the best course of action. It is now time for you and the DD’s (jeepers, he is a great and informative bloke(I use bloke in the loosest sense of the word) to have on your side), his and your arguments are so amazingly persuading.

I look forward to you deriding me for having an opinion that is different to you oh great one of Calder – or is that really Wynyard (probably like saying Blackmans bay and Kingston). You talk about your family being great bushman – they may have even seen a tiger once up around Hampshire – but so did mine (heck, much to my chagrin we are probably related).

IAN RIST – when the great scorer comes to mark your card, it’s not whether you won or lost but how you played the game.

13. David Obendorf

July 1, 2009 at 4:33 am

Mr Rist, be content and steadfast in your endeavours.

As A. B. Paterson’s first line of The Man from Snowy River goes…..”There was movement at the station for the word had passed around that the colt from old Regret has got away and joined the wild bush horses; he was worth 1000 pounds!”

I’ll leave it you to work out the meaning!

14. Ian Rist

June 30, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Talking about dogs and foxes,what ever happened to the dogs that were trained to find poisoned fox carcasses and foxes?
    I believe at the time the cost to taxpayers was some $35,000.00.
    Jock the Labrador and Speck the Springer Spaniel never did find a fox or a fox carcass.
    Sorry dogs I guess you can’t find what isn’t there.
    The intensity of this propaganda campaign makes me laugh…these people aren’t interested in conservation-just money.
    These are the same people in 2004 that denied to me on David Obendorf’s TT Fox Reward that they had no financial interest in Tasmanian foxes.
    I worked you out a long time ago TP or what other pseudonym you might be operating under today up there in cowards castle.

15. Ian Rist

June 30, 2009 at 3:00 pm

David re # 5 according to the Legislative Council Hansard of the 13th November 2007 the only animals detected by infrared,motion-sensor cameras at 1080 poison fox bait sites have been spotted tailed quolls,devils,brush tailed possums,wombats,echidnas,and feral cats. No foxes.

16. David Obendorf

June 30, 2009 at 3:53 am

Dr Peacock, according to Tasmanian government biologist, Nick Mooney there’s a resident population of about 150 foxes on the 100 sq kilometre Phillip Island, Victoria. A fox eradication strategy adopted for Phillip Island over many years reacted to public sightings and using hunting dogs. I understand the method was unsuccessful and untestable in its efficacy.

Phillip Island, I’d suggest, has a far higher density of foxes than is assumed at any single fox ‘hot spot’ in Tasmania. It is arguable whether the use of scat detection dogs for ongoing strategic surveys in Tasmania might also have insufficient survey intensity to identify either the distribution or the density of foxes.

According to tabulated data recently presented by the Tasmanian Fox Eradication Program the scat-detector dogs were responsible for discovery of most of the fox-positive scats found in Tasmania in recent years but a parliamentary inquiry was told that ‘21 different staff members’ picked up these scats. So far about 40 confirmed fox scats have been found since 2005 and genotyping suggests at least eight different foxes are responsible (for the scat). Currently they all appear to be ‘one-scat crappers’ i.e. no evidence yet of more than one fox scat at a location with an identical genotype.

Given that foxes regularly deposit scats where they take baits, I wonder have any DNA-fox positive scats been recovered from the numerous bait lines scattered over Tasmania?

17. Gerry Mander

June 30, 2009 at 2:23 am

Isn’t it strange that these dogs have been trained to detect the crap, but have no idea how to find a fox.
    It seems that over the last five years or so, all we have for our money is just that – a heap of crap!

18. J A Stevenson

June 29, 2009 at 5:48 pm

As a Life Member of The Kennel Club since 1970. A breeder of Black and Yellow Labradors,(there is no such breed as a Golden Labrador), for over 40 years under the Kennel name Hythorn. Training and working them in the field with great admiration of there capabilities, they are not the best breed for finding cold scent such as fox scats. Like all hunting dogs they are best at locating creatures leaving a warm foot or blood scent, as are all the hound breeds.
    That having been said. Could you please explain the purpose of scat collecting. One scat or 100 scats, what is the difference. 8 different dog foxes are reported to be at large in Tasmania.
    These dog foxes should have been heard barking, marking their territory, since April. Vixens squalls should have been heard before now.
    No reports have been received from any members.
    Unless these foxes are a unique mute strain they are none breeders.
    J A Stevenson. Fox Control Association. hythorn@aapt.net.au

19. Ian Rist

June 29, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Problem is in eight long expensive years they haven’t caught or even photographed a single Tasmanian fox by any method.
    The hard cold,forget the crap,undeniable facts.
    Bottom line – an encyclopedia of rhetoric,a mountain of maybe’s but no fox.

20. Ken Johnson

June 29, 2009 at 1:16 pm

The fox scat dogs seem to be very efficient at find the money as well.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Receive Our Weekly Tas Roundup