Democracy Tasmania

Ethical conduct: why the hold up

Clive Stott
Written submissions to the Joint Select Committee on Ethical Conduct closed on the 18th July last year. Transcripts from the Launceston public hearings held on the 7th November have not yet been posted on the government website, although Hobart transcripts have been up for quite sometime. This is the latest: “The transcripts have been completed, the reason they are not on the net is because they haven’t yet been reported and are confidential until that occurs. The Committee is meeting on the 16th March and it may resolve then to report them.” One might ask; is the hold up procedural or is it because of the content?

1. Pete Godfrey

February 25, 2009 at 9:47 pm

I too put in submissions to the ethics committee, and one member of the committee was conspicuously absent. A certain David Llewellyn.
    It may be worth looking up how many times he and his other mates have decided not to attend. Why are these people on the committee if they decide that they don’t have time to attend hearings.
    Maybe it is so that there won’t be a quorum, and then no hearings can go on. And hey presto, there can be no outcome!

2. Maddie

February 22, 2009 at 7:59 pm

One might ask; is the hold up procedural or is it because of the content?

Cynical old me suspects it’s the latter. I haven’t always been a cynical person but then I haven’t always been old either. Does cynicism come with age or experience?

3. don davey

February 22, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I ‘m certain that all that information is great for those who are able to process it ,however looking at the graph alone tells me just what “deep shit” we are in and should leave no doubt to the naysayer’s that it is well past the point of no return and we need to , not only stop cutting forest but need to plant more ! just as fast as we possibly can .

People in Greenland are as happy as dog with two tails, they ,now being able to cultivate the soil and grow produce ,for the first time in their living memory.

It is now gross stupidity to deny global warming !
    d.d.

4. Clive Stott

February 22, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Perhaps they think we should forget about anything to do with Ethics?

Soon these people will be asking for our votes because they will have forgotten that we can remember.

5. Geraldine Allan

February 22, 2009 at 12:40 pm

#1. Garry, how on this earth could Tasmanians ever forget those ‘shenanigers’ and their shenanigans?

The deceitful, underhanded, and otherwise questionable activities shall remain firmly imprinted in my mind.

One does wonder why it has taken four months (until 16th March 2009) for the Joint Parliamentary Committee to meet to consider reporting outstanding transcripts from November 2008.

What I do know is my oral evidence will not be reported as it was held entirely ‘in camera’.

Likewise, my written submission is not available to the public either. I gave reliable evidence of all I knew and had experienced — I named names, and backed up my allegations with detailed facts.

6. Garry Stannus

February 22, 2009 at 9:30 am

Yes, I’ve been wondering about that, Clive. How when Bartlett got in we were going to have, maybe, something like an ICAC, but first we’d have the inquiry.
    People will be forgetting who in hell were the last Deputy Premiers and what they did or were accused of doing.
    Thanks for the reminder.