Comments

<Back to Article

1. “Having myself smelt a thylacine in the bush. I can vouch for the strong, unusual scent it emits.”

Posted by lol  on  25/04/06  at  05:43 PM
  2. Any chance of putting the photos on Tasmanian Times?

Posted by David Mohr  on  25/04/06  at  10:04 PM
  3. ... sends tingles up my back.
    (I dreamed about a thyalcine in my home last night, woke up wondering , had breakfast, checked the good old tastimes .... )

Posted by Low Carl  on  25/04/06  at  11:05 PM
  4. Col, was the sighting within or near a National Park or forest reserve?

Posted by David Mohr  on  26/04/06  at  04:32 AM
  5. I think no one wants to find the Thylacine because doing so would explode the mystery, suspense and excitement of the possibility of its existence.

It is this mysticism, this legend that creates interest and generates debate and thought (sometimes rational, sometimes not).

I know that I would give my left leg (well almost) to see Klaus’ photos.  A friend told me once of their sighting; they swore that the tiger still exists but were content in the knowledge of what they’d seen and didn’t want to make the sighting public.

I wonder how many others have felt the same way?

Certainly the way the media behaves, as evidenced by Col’s story of Klaus and his brother, I couldn’t blame anyone for keeping this sort of thing to themselves!

Tall poppy syndrome, I guess.

I really wish that the Tiger still existed, but like many, I will only believe it when I see it.

Perhaps it is better that it remains an unknown.

But perhaps the powers-that-be prefer it to be extinct?

If it could be proved that it is out there, it might be that it’s existence was still in danger due to impending forestry operations in its habitat.

No, far safer and much more profitable to let sleeping dogs lie (whoops, I mean tigers) and pretend its not even slightly possible that they could still survive.

I wish you luck in your quest Col.

Posted by Toby Rowallan  on  26/04/06  at  04:41 AM
  6. This is what Nick Mooney said on present-day thylacines in ‘Carnivorous Nights - On the Trail of the Tasmanian Tiger’ (Page 313) by Margaret Mittelbach & Michael Crewdson (published in 2005):

‘We are now battling a few foxes in Tasmania, a species that the devils’ demise might allow to dominate the vertebrate landscape here forever. However, even a well-known species such as the red fox, if very rare, is extremely difficult to find by searching; it seems the rarer the animal the more luck plays in the finding. To me this somewhat humbling experience makes the thylacine question a little worth revisiting. If nothing else, it demonstrates how homocentric we have become in our assumptions that “if it’s there, of course we can find it”. Let’s hope there is still time for us to get lucky.’

Posted by David Obendorf  on  26/04/06  at  12:38 PM
  7. Toby keep your leg but wipe the egg off your face, the photo was printed in The Sunday Tasmanian two weeks ago.
    ;)

Posted by Lee Lacker  on  26/04/06  at  05:56 PM
  8. Typical.

I just happened to miss that one.  You see?  What chance do we have of finding the tiger when luck isn’t with us at all?

Posted by Toby Rowallan  on  26/04/06  at  11:28 PM
  9. With current technology there will always be doubts about the authenticity of any photograph or footage alleged to be of a thylacine.

Only a specimen (living or dead) can now establish adequately that the thylacine is not, as I strongly suspect it of being, long-extinct.

Posted by Dr Kevin Bonham  on  27/04/06  at  03:19 AM
  10. Sadly I believe the Thylacine may have been long gone too Kevin, I would have given anything to have seen them in my life time.

My father who passed away in 1976 saw many in his young days in the west coast bush. He was snaring game in 1931 with old Basil(“cutter”) Murray and they snared one on top of the Hellyer Gorge and released it. They used to often catch them in special box traps baited with salted ham and release them; Dad said they were a nuisance on snare lines and often caught the same one time after time, apparently they were not over endowed with brains.

Uncle Jim saw two half grown thylacine pups run into an old wombat burrow in 1945 out on a place called Romney Marsh on the Hatfield River.

Mother kept some old photos of two Thylacines the Delphin Bros. had caged at Waratah in the early days; we have kept them along with some photos of some albino animals.

My father believed a combination of the hatred of Tigers by sheep farmers, neck snares used for undamaged wallaby skins, and the severe outbreak of distemper in the early 1930s finished of the job the bounty had begun.

People that know me well know why I am so against the meat based 1080 program. If there was any thought given to this at all we would not have put out 60,000 plus meat based 1080 baits, what mentality would run that risk?

Ian Rist

Posted by ian rist  on  27/04/06  at  05:47 AM
  11. Anyone could forward me the photos from the Tasmanian Times? In exchange I have the photos taken by Kevin Cameron showing a possible thylacine sighting in WA in 85.

Posted by Laurent  on  03/04/07  at  03:25 PM
  12. Du musst ein Fachmann sein - wirklich guter Aufstellungsort, den du hast!

Posted by arch  on  14/04/07  at  09:34 PM
  13. I have always had a strong feeling that the Tasmanian Tiger is not extinct, ever since I heard about it when I was 10 years old.  (I live in America, so not many people over here knew about it to tell me about it.)  Everyone said it is extinct, but I have always said that it is still out there.  Those pictures prove it in my opinion.  Sometimes, I just get this strong feeling about something I cannot shake, and later on, about 90% of the time, the feeling is right.  The Tasmanian Tiger has to be alive.  I’ve had the strongest feeling about this for 10 years.  I just cannot imagine such a strong feeling being wrong.  And so many people have claimed to have seen one, plus these pictures; I mean, how can they be extinct with so many sightings and these tourists taking a picture without knowing what it was to fake it?  The Tasmanian Tiger has to be alive.  It just has to…

Posted by Rebecca  on  22/08/07  at  01:50 PM
  14. Hi,
    I am obsolutely obsessed with the tiger, its not a matter of wether its extinct its a matter of where it is,
    could someone please email me the pictures as i am doing a school assignment on them

Thankyou,
    Mitch

Posted by Mitch  on  19/09/07  at  09:53 AM
  15. Personaly i beleive that they still exist, and if they dont than its a shame we lost such a wonderfull animal to the stupidety of mankind!!! Maybe somday we will wake up and smell the daisys. We are pushing animals to the brink of extingtion and we need to stop before our grandchildren never get to see a tiger or a giant panda and ask if they really did exist and their not just a myth.

Posted by cassidy  on  19/11/07  at  12:55 PM
  16. Hi Col,

I have been trying to find your contact information so I could request an interview with you for a feature article I am writing for my course at the university of tasmania.

Please contact me through email:  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Courtney  on  21/04/08  at  12:07 PM
  17. I take the whole scenario with a pinch of salt ! as much as i would like to believe it still existed common sense tells me that it is an impossibility.

Now !  if these photo’s do actually exist i see no reason whatsoever for them not to be shown in order for us all to make a more informed decision.

d.d.

Posted by don davey  on  21/04/08  at  10:59 PM
  18. Hello I’m a Belgian journalist.
    Can someone give me the email address of mr. Col Bailey? Or tell me where i can find te Emerichs photos?
    Thx,
    Jeroen

Posted by Jeroen Denaeghel  on  01/03/10  at  07:50 PM
  19. I had a look for the Emmerichs photos online recently and failed to find them - they had been published on some cryptozoology sites but taken down because of copyright claims.  I have seen them though (not the originals of course) and I wasn’t impressed.

With the ease of faking photos these days I don’t think any photo or video evidence could settle the thylacine matter.  In the unlikely case that it is still out there, physical evidence (a fresh carcass, or fresh scats or hairs) is needed to prove the animal still exists.

Posted by Dr Kevin Bonham  on  01/03/10  at  09:56 PM
  20. I kept one of Emmerich’s photos. And today I found clear versions of it in a Forum site - the Spanish one I think.  The other day I found the ‘blurry’ ‘colourful’ full-length picture that I think is Emmerich’s second pic.  Cannot find it today. After he took them off the internet they WERE harder to find.  But just keep looking with appropriate keywords. I think the close-up picture is a fake. There are several things wrong about it, mainly the distribution and dimensions of the stripes on the hind. I looked at the analysis of the 1973 video today and reckon that may well be a Tiger. I believe they still exist.

Posted by Geoff  on  05/05/10  at  03:43 PM
  21. Further to mine a few days ago; the thylacine has 14-21(some say 15-20)stripes, the last one at the base of the tail.  I have counted them on a photo of some healthy young tigers (pre-‘extinction’) and it is 14 and 15 on them. Stripes tend to end in a ‘pointed’ but clear ‘narrowing’. On the Emmerich photo there are about 7 stripes - the distribution and width only allows about 7 if you cannot see them all. They are NOT pointed. The animal in the picture DOES have a ‘ticked-coat’ - like a thylacine, a rabbit, an Abyssinian cat and some dogs. I believe they exist, and hope to see some in my lifetime.  They look like beautiful animals.

Posted by Geoff  on  13/05/10  at  05:39 PM
  22. I would like to believe that they survived and in the remote possibility that they could have , what possible chance would they have now !  with the continuing fox baiting program.

Just imagine the furore if one actually turned up POISONED !
                    d.d.

Posted by d.d.  on  14/05/10  at  12:22 PM
  23. d.d. I just had a quick look at the ‘Fox Baiting Program’ (FBP) run by the ‘Fox Eradication Branch’ of the DPIW,Tas. Let’s hope the tigers are in ‘inaccessable’ wilderness - the FBP seems to be mainly in grazing country and grasslands, although it is widespread. {Fingers crossed}. But you make a good point. ‘Crypto-zoologists’ usually believe that Governments will tend to hide, corrupt and deny evidence of such things - dead or alive. Let’s hope if they do kill any tigers they WILL reveal it, and adjust the FBP accordingly.
    I am also following the proposed killing of galahs at Ulverstone, Tas by the Central Coast Council using a poison that has the potential to kill all sorts of small ground critters, against which risk they have NO plan. (Similarly, the DPIW has NO effective plan for protecting dogs and thylacines from the FBP).
    Hopefully the CC Council will control the birds in a more humane and lawful manner. Hopefully no tigers or dogs will be killed by the FBP.

Posted by Geoff  on  14/05/10  at  05:30 PM
  24. To whom this may concern,

My name is Derek Skol. I was a student at the University of Toronto studying Zoology, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology. In the last couple of years I have become increasingly interested in the Thylacine or (Tasmanian Tiger). I have also spent some time reading about people such as David Fleay, Jeremy Griffith, James Malley and their respective expeditions to find the Thylacine.

Although, some had gathered some tangible evidence like tracks, hair and scat - they did not capture or produce and photo or video evidence of the animal. However, there are still reports of sightings occurring all the time - both in Tasmania and in Victoria. Of course, mere sightings and hear-say do not constitute as circumstantial evidence. The fact remains that there are enormous sections of Tasmania that are not only uninhabited by humans now, but places that no human has ever stepped foot in.

I believe this allows us to continue the debate and continue to search in Tasmania’s most remote places for the Thylacine. While the Thylacine is excepted by most to be permanently extinct. Many also believe that the Thylacine has escaped the odds of extinction from poaching, and their diminishing gene pool quality as a result.

I do not claim to be a firm believer in the present existence of the Thylacine. However, I do believe that there is a chance that the animal may still exist - and if so, it deserves to be protected and given assistance for the heath of future generations.

This is one of the main reasons why I have decided to come to Australia from Canada - and I’ll be skipping this Canadian winter which will be a nice change. I will also have an Environmentalist and experienced animal tracker accompanying me on my expedition in Tasmania. His name is Mr.Michael Oiseau from Quebec, Canada. Together we share a breadth of knowledge and experience in camping, animal tracking, photography and bush survival. Though our most common similarity is our passion for wildlife preservation.

My hope is that this letter will put me in touch with other people in Tasmania with similar views and goals regarding the Thylacine. I’ve read many reports on this subject and would love to get in touch with people like such as Col Bailey, Buck and Joan Emburg and Murray McAllister - to name a few.

I will be arriving in Hobart on the 7th of December and planning our expedition for the following week. Any assistance that you would be able to provide would be invaluable. Both my colleague and I are hoping your newspaper can put us in touch with the required people.

Thank you again for your time.

Sincerely,

Derek J Skol

CC: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Derek Skol  on  06/12/11  at  12:23 AM
  25. Hey Ian Rist, what are (were) those albino animals approx twice the size of a fox?

We saw one run across in front of the car, at night, between the Fossey and the Hatfield in 1980.

Be aware that the other person, the driver, is a prominent north wester who happens to currently be in a prominent field position with NPWS.  He proclaimed at the time “what was that, never seen one of those before”.

Posted by John Wade  on  06/12/11  at  08:06 AM
  26. The photos my mother kept from Waratah are of albino Bennett’s wallabies.
    John what you may have seen was white feral dogs or someones lost hunting dogs.
    There were some wild dogs out on the “Racecourse” and around the “Island” near “Black Harry”.
    If you are familiar with the Hatfield River area you will know exactly where I am talikng about.

Posted by Ian Rist  on  06/12/11  at  04:14 PM
  27. Hi i would like to get Col Baileys contact info or get him to contact me to talk to him about a Tiger siteing i had on the NSW/QLD border near Giraween nat Park a few yrs back, we had to stop the Car and let it walk across the rd in front of us. There is also lots of reports of strange noises coming from the park which is 33,000 acre of thick scrub and huge granite hills and vallys.

Posted by James Small  on  18/05/13  at  09:44 AM

Name:

Email:

Location:

URL:

Remember my personal information

Notify me of follow-up comments?

Before you submit your comment, please make sure that it complies with Tasmanian Times Code of Conduct.