Tasmania’s Ailing Health System and Forestry Debt – It’s inextricably linked …

*Pic: – Ted Mead – Millions of tonnes of carcinogenic high-particle CO2, has, and continues to be, released into Tasmania’s airways from Forestry regeneration burns.

Let’s face it on all accounts the Tasmanian Health system is failing, and is not far from a real crisis scenario. To those who are desperate for quality health care it probably comes as no surprise to hear that Tasmania has the worst public hospital system in the country. Everyone in the medical profession knows it is mostly due to the lack of funding, so why are our governments’ at the cost of public health, continuing to prop up the clinically-dead native forest industry to the sum of over $100 million per year?

image
Pic Ted Mead – The antiquated RHH still requires major renovations and upgrades.

image
Pic – Ted Mead – Mayhem and chaos often prevails in Hobart’s emergency department due to bed shortages, particularly regarding mental health inpatients.

It is a simple equation, the more money squandered on the insolvent Sustainable Timber Tasmania (formerly known as Forestry Tasmania), the less available resources go into the health care system. Both these issues are related, as Third-World unaccountable forestry practices in the state has financially created Third-World poor health care facilities.

The Liberals for the past 4 years have promised to rebuild a broken health system, but instead they’ve starved it of funds, and refused to respond to senior clinicians’ concerns about emergency and psychiatric services.

Suddenly up pops a state election, and like magic the Liberals pulled out an extra $757 million for health services like a rabbit out of a hat from nowhere! – now who’s going to believe they could, or really want to, deliver on that?

A collective of the state’s health professionals and unions have recommended the immediate need for –

• 200 extra beds immediately statewide, and subsequently another 200 beds by 2022.

• Planning and upgrades to the RHH and LGH.

• Management structure reforms.

• More frontline staffing

• Updating ageing IT systems.

All of the above would require a significant commitment, yet the Hodgman government has been apathetic and slow to respond.

The state’s ailing and dysfunctional health system is shaping up to be the major political issue at the state election, and predictably because of that event, the Liberals have made assurances they will resolve many of the underling problems regarding the state’s health crisis.

Given the Hodgman government’s rhetoric over the past 4 years, then these promises are most likely to be broken or at best implemented at a dawdling rate.

Health Minister Michael Ferguson said in the run up to the election – “We’ll be outlining further measures to help achieve our bold health goals, however one thing we won’t be doing is ripping money out of our police or education to fund health.”

The state Labor Opposition has already stated that ‘Tasmania’s Public Health’ is their priority issue, and that has been attested by their fanciful $ election promises also.

So where is the required health funding going to come from?

An appropriate start would be – commit to using GST funds redistributed to Tasmania to meet the state’s above-average health needs for the purposes they are allocated. The simplest and most pragmatic solution would be to dissolve STT and channel those financial resources back into a health system where the community can benefit.

Native forestry operations within Tasmania are in a state of perpetual mendicancy. STT is essentially a scourge on public resources, both environmentally and economically. In 2016/17 every hectare of native forest that STT logged culminated as another $9800 loss to the taxpayer. That’s near $40 per tonne of timber extracted.

More than $1 billion has been squandered through FT/STT already this century!

Economist John Lawrence explains STT debt comprehensively …

The sooner the STT malignant tumor is removed the swifter the state’s health system will ameliorate!

*Ted Mead is mystified as to why Tasmanians choose to support environmental destruction over quality health care. Ted believes poor health is symptomatic of our warped values in the modern world whereby money, dominion, exploitation and corruption has eclipsed the rewards of living a simple, happy and healthy life.

1. abs

February 25, 2018 at 11:05 am

Yes, Tony. cognitive bias, a human phenomenom. When a person states emphatically that all psychologists are useless and that all doctors do is prescribe medication and refer to surgeons etc. their statements are patently wrong.

Additionally, I have tried to discuss tese matters with you. I have stated I agree with some of what you write. I have stated that I do not disagree with some other things you have written. You accuse me of ignoring what you write. It is as if you are responding to someone else’s comments.

The floor is yours. At 5 past 9am, my first client is waiting.

2. Tony Stone

February 24, 2018 at 5:31 pm

#34 … Of course there is no sense in you continuing, you refuse to name any of the “huge number of factors that contribute to poor mental health.”

Other than diet and environment, all that’s left is genetics.

Your posts #13 and #23 provide nothing other than accuse me of cognitive bias. That’s a pretty big laugh, when reading your posts and mine. Not hard to see who suffers from cognitive bias in refusing to support their contention that “there’s a huge number of factors that contribute to poor mental health.”

You have no answers, simple as that, otherwise you’d be putting them forward. No different to all the psychs of whom I’ve asked the same question wher all you get from them is empty replies and avoidance. Then they try to introduce their warped superiority complex by trying to blame those questioning their knowledge.

3. abs

February 24, 2018 at 11:59 am

Tony, it seems that this has become an exercise, for you, of projecting at me here. I did miss the ‘environmental ‘ factors. These are relevant, as in diet as I have said.

However, I have repeatedly agreed, in part, with some of your points, yet you then reference these points to accuse me of ‘ignoring’ them.

There is no sense for me to try and continue here. I am not what you project. As I have said, there is truth in some of what you say, yet you are simply trying to dump a heap of stuff (not about me) on me (as if you know me and my professional role).

My comments at #13 then at #23 are reasonable, yet you have gone full throttle with every insult you could muster. Not mine, Tony. My reality is not what you project here. Remember, I have not accused anyone here of being ‘useless’, or ‘having no answers’, or being in ‘denial’ etc etc.

4. max

February 24, 2018 at 11:04 am

To me the wonder is how there are any sane people.

Before the insanity of globalisation and free trade people had what they thought was a foreseeable future and could plan their lives. Now students are forced to go to year 12 and beyond without any guarantee that they are not wasting years on a chosen career path or in fact any path.

Machines will continue to operate if they are well maintained and given the correct fuels and oils, but they don’t think or suffer from insecurity. Our present way of living has introduced insecurity and humans don’t handle it well.

5. Frank Nicklason

February 24, 2018 at 10:07 am

Johann Hari’s recent book “Lost Connections” is well researched and easy to read. It provides evidence-based insights into the origins of anxiety and depression and suggests solutions. Crucially, the way we live, our social conditions, is identified as a key determinant of good mental health. Experience of nature and physical exercise are both discussed amongst a variety of other factors which help us feel connected to community and to have an acceptable future over which we have some measure of control.

6. Tony Stone

February 23, 2018 at 8:50 pm

#30 … “There are a huge number of factors that contribute to poor mental health’

Name a few of the huge number of factors that you say are behind mental illness. All psychs make this claim, yet not one can name them, how about you?

#30 … “Again I will highlight your over the top commentary. This makes it difficult to debate, because of the hyperbole and vagueness.”

It’s difficult for you because you have no answers, just denial. Read you own posts, which are completely empty of any form of answer, just a superiority complex, rejection and vague claims.

I answered your questions regarding lifestyle and environment and the effects it has on the human mental state, yet you ignore them. Which is totally expected.

It’s how all in denial of reality act, ignore, reject and make empty claims of superior knowledge. But refuse to provide detail and make out they hold a superior position of knowledge and intellect.

However the statistical facts and verifiable outcomes of psycho therapy show that the industry is a total failure. It’s just a profit growth machine for the pharmaceutical companies and wank fest for those overeducated in nothing.

No answers, just vague statements of nothingness.

7. abs

February 23, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Tony, the ‘fact’ that mental health issues are rising does not mean that your understanding encompasses the reasons it is rising. There are a huge number of factors that contribute to poor mental health.

I posted multiple times that I don’t disagree with some of what you are saying. I have stated how diet and lifestyle are relevant to mental health. I asked for clarification as to what you consider ‘lifestyle’ and ‘environmental factors’.

Your response?? to throw labels and insults around (‘useless’, ‘victim path’, ‘don’t have the answers’, ‘part of the problem’.)

Again, your views and comments are yours, not mine.

My reality, in my profession, is that my clients come to me for treatment/therapy to improve their lives and, for the most part, that is what I do with evidence-based therapy approaches that are backed by scientific research. I do not prescribe medication, and often I am frustrated when medications having already been prescribed for clinical presentations that are fully treatable with therapy. I do not refer clients for ECT, and I clinically see examples where it has been harmful. Yet I also see examples where it has been prescribed as a last resort and had very beneficial results.

There is some truth in what you write regarding the way many psychiatrists and psychiatric institutions approach mental health. Additionally, I share your concern about all the toxins in our environment, and clinically I see the negative impact poor diet has on mental health.

i do however, expect your response to this comment to be consistent with your previous post because presently my interest in this to-and-fro-ing is continuing to diminish.

8. Tony Stone

February 23, 2018 at 8:02 am

#27/28 … Of course take the victim path when you don’t have answers, and change what is written to suit yourself.

If you’re useless that’s your call, not mine. Was referring to the psychology industry, as can be seen in my post. If you are part of that then so be it, you are part of the problem.

Facts are the reality of the world, not the delusions of vested interests. The facts are that mental health issues are rising dramatically across the planet, and in Aus it is becoming an epidemic.

Yet the industry has no answers whatsoever and dismisses the glaring facts of diet and lifestyle being the instigators of mental disintegration in society.

9. abs

February 22, 2018 at 4:23 pm

edit to #27- “you do [b]not[/b]know me from a bar of soap yet claim I am useless.

10. abs

February 22, 2018 at 10:57 am

ok Tony, I’ll leave you to it.

my comments have been reasonable and yours over the top, and inconsistent with what I write.

everyone experiences cognitive bias to degrees.

you do know me from a bar of soap yet claim I am useless.

you speak of facts, yet offer personal opinion

mate, your comments speak of you, not I.

11. Tony Stone

February 22, 2018 at 9:21 am

#25 … It really drives me wild when those who have no real personal experience, nor have associated or worked with many others in the same boat over decades,denounce those who have, yet have not gone through the required changes to see the results.

They just deny the facts, attack the messenger and claim superior knowledge and results which goes against the viewable and recorded facts. No different to other ideologues and their deluded claims against the reality.

Personal experience is way better than a dumb university degree – and maybe you are looking in a mirror with your comments, it fits.

Bias is what you get from the industry, just as they try to put down those who have succeeded in overcoming their problems in spite of the industry.

You don’t get bias from those who know the reality and have been through the mill. Bias comes from the supposed professionals in their effort to support their totally failed industry.

Surely one claiming to know about depression, and supporting the status quo drug regimes, would have an understanding of how environmental and lifestyle affects mental health.

You’re no different to every doctor or psych I’ve ever come across, and over the years I have dealt with many many psychs and doctors – all useless.

None have a clue about anything but drugs and when you try to discuss diet and lifestyle with them, pointing out the numerous environmental triggers, they dismiss them instantly and return to their empty babble, drug or hospitalisation regimes.

Lifestyle has a major effect on mental health, and changing it makes a big difference. You can’t change lifestyles until you change diet because they work together to help, or hinder.

Living in an urban environmental with never-ending noise, light, air, ground and water pollution, and with vehicles spewing out particulates and noxious gases 24/7, you have the worst possible environmental for mental health.

Urban air is saturated with emfs, wifi, toxic chemicals, gases and pollutants from building materials, household furniture and goods.

Then add useless household chemicals and those chemicals people cover and spray their bodies with every minute of the day, and you have a toxic environment which is destroying the rational human mind.

All we see today is economic zombies drugged to the eyeballs on food and drink chemicals from the moment they wake up to the moment they go to sleep. They constantly seek a hit from their food and drink addictions but they never get satisfaction, just the need for more.

Preservatives are one of the most deadly toxins. They are in every form of processed packaged and prepared foods. Then add the chemicals and rat poison (fluoride) in water supplies and you end up with a complete chemical lifestyle and environment.

That’s why mental health is deteriorating rapidly throughout every society, and it will continue unabated into total collapse.

The industry doesn’t have a clue and never will. Profit growth of the pharmaceutical industry and practitioners, is more important than actual positive results.

Drugging or hospitalising someone does not help their condition, it just makes it worse. Everyone I know who has undergone ECT more than 1-2 decades ago now have bad mental and physical problems.

12. abs

February 20, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Tony, I think i see where you got the idea I am, as you put it, “a sufferer, then in the next you give the impression you are part of the industry”.

I was paraphrasing, collectively, what some of my clients have said about ECT (ie my statement in #23 -“Clinically, I observe this (i.e from people’s own account, e.g. “I felt much better and functioned well following my last course of ECT”)
    this should be read as having come from clients, not myself.

Tony, again I will say that I don’t disagree with all you say, yet it is uninformed to a large degree (I think you are going too much on you own personal experience that has been processed with bias towards the understanding you have). Diet, lifestyle and environmental factors are often central. Perhaps you could detail what you mean with lifestyle and environmental factors before we go further.

13. Tony Stone

February 20, 2018 at 3:05 pm

#23 … not wrong at all. Been involved since the 1960’s until about 12 years ago when I got it all together and made the real changes.

Nothing has changed, just gets worse for sufferers and if the industry methods were working, why is mental illness rapidly rising across society?

In one sentence you are saying you are a sufferer, then in the next you give the impression you are part of the industry. Neither is very convincing, yet it is understandable as the majority stick with the propaganda no matter what reality is presented.

Ask anyone in the psychiatric industry why mental health issues are growing at such a rapid rate and none have clue. I’ve asked many over the years and not one can answer, nor can they answer what treatment works and why theirs doesn’t.

I’ve never come across a psychologist or psychiatrist who addresses diet and nutrition, or even lifestyle in any reasonable manner. Got abused by a couple of psychiatrists for telling another patient they should look to their diet for help, as they were certainly getting none at the clinic.

Denying the facts, as they are represented in the real world, is typical of ideological programming which is controlling the planet.

We are seeing a dramatic rise in mental health issues because of environmental and dietary chemical poisoning.

If doctors etc addressed diet and lifestyle, why is the incidence of illness on the rise and those suffering the most, still continue with their junk food diets?

Then we have the glaring fact that hospitals provide pure junk non-nutritional foods of the worst kind. No good recovery diet in hospital, just rotten processed junk. Psychiatric units offer the worst kind of nutritional foods.

This link gives a good understanding of what I am saying and is the real representation of the industry, just as I say …

When the profession and its supporters come up with a responsible, factual reason for the dramatic increase in mental deterioration of the population that is not related to diet, lifestyle and environmental factors they will get my support, but just like biological health, their only aim is medication of the symptoms and hope it works.

I know quite a few over the years who have undergone ECT and I was offered it myself. Decided to talk to those who had undergone it first, and found over the long term that they were suffering badly from it, and had lost some of their cognitive ability.

The older they got, the worse they felt affected inwardly, and their families noticed it. Not one thought it was a good thing that had happened to them a few years down the track.

Everyone I have come across who has taken the diet lifestyle approach is now in control of their own minds and bodies. Those that followed the industry are still medicated or almost empty shells of misery.

If you and the industry were right we wouldn’t be seeing this epidemic of mental breakdown across all societies. So what is your explanation for the situation societies face with mental health?

14. abs

February 20, 2018 at 11:19 am

#17 … Tony,

Well for a start, the 90% figure you are stating is pulled out of thin air, right?

Mental health is actually very complex across the population.

ECT is prescribed as a last resort, or when clients//patients display treatment resistance to other treatments. ECT has been demonstrated scientifically to be effective for many people. Clinically, I observe this (i.e from people’s own account, e.g. “I felt much better and functioned well following my last course of ECT”)

“Of course psychologists can’t prescribe medication, all they do is jabber about meaningless scenarios and social crap” …. as a jabbering Clinical Psychologist, I can state that there is more that is done.

“Currently all health centres do is prescribe drugs or refer to surgeons.” …Well, again, this is wrong. GP, and relevant specialists (including Cllin Psychs) repeatedly address lifestyle and diet (and if I was not bound by confidentiallity processes I could display referral from GPs where they cite the need to address the client’s lifestyle and diet)

BTW, I am not saying I disagree with you about clean diet and simpler lifestyles as being consistent with good menatl health. These things are always relevant and are included in good therapy, yet things are more complex than you perceive. Personally, my daily activities at home involve keeping my children away, as best I can, from processed foods. The more they eat from my garden the better they will feel, both physically and mentally.

Additionally, I am often frustrated by the prescribing of psychiatric medication by GPs which often happens when the GP refers the client to a psychologist. Frequently I see presentations that can be treated in a straight forward fashion without medication, yet they present to me while already on the medication. Difficult symptoms are very useful, often, in therapy. When medications are present the symptoms are masked, to degrees, and their usefulness diminished. (hope that makes sense: I’m writing in a hurry)

It is good for you that you have worked out what works for you, yet to assume that your experience is broadly representative of the population as a whole is wrong and speaks of cognitive bias.

15. Ted Mead

February 19, 2018 at 11:33 pm

The Taib extended family and their cronies it would seem have had their hooks into the world’s politicians for some time.

Exposure of what was in it for our politicians will probably never come to the fore!

I’m sure if the likes of Paul Harriss, Paul Lennon, Eric Abetz and Evan Rolley were put before a royal commission we may, through vigorous inquiries, become enlightened to the truth.

And on that note nothing would surprise me!

16. Emmanuel Goldstein

February 19, 2018 at 9:53 pm

How can an honest politician accumulate a known wealth of fifteen billion (known) dollars? Why is Tasmania’s government taking from our health & education budgets to fork it over to the likes of this creep?

17. john hayward

February 19, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Why can’t Tasmanians entertain the idea, despite crushing evidence, that their state government might be pretty much like so many other kleptocracies around the world?

John Hayward

18. max

February 19, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Until doctors are trained to treat the cause and not the result, we the public are in the hands of the pharmaceutical industries.

It is not in the pharmaceutical industries’ best interests to find a cure – but is in their interests to treat. Billions of dollars have been poured into finding ways to treat the complaint, but not to find the cause.

The population is not getting healthier, and our health is on a slippery slide and the sicker we become the more profits for those who treat us.

There is an old saying, follow the money, and in the health issue if you follow the money where will it lead?

A Launceston surgeon was told he couldn’t try to cure and that he was only qualified to treat. That says it all.

19. TGC

February 19, 2018 at 1:08 pm

Might be best to vote for whichever Party promises to set up several Royal Commissions – there can never be too many of them

20. Tony Stone

February 19, 2018 at 12:51 pm

#12 … “yet a lot of your statements are incorrect. BTW, Psychologists are not able to prescribe medication”

Which of my statements are incorrect?

Of course psychologists can’t prescribe medication, all they do is jabber about meaningless scenarios and social crap. They don’t have a clue about anything really, I saw many over the years and not one had a clue as to how to change my situation.

When seeing psychiatrists, all they wanted to was medicate you, or lock you up so they could do some tests and treatments. The psychiatric industry still advocates electric shock treatment for mental disorders.

How anyone can believe torturing a person’s mind and body with electrical currents will actually help is beyond me.

Never met one psychologist or psychiatrist who addressed diet and lifestyle, just the complete opposite when it was put to them. But it works and there are many who have taken that path and recovered their sanity, and I’m one.

21. Ted Mead

February 19, 2018 at 11:54 am

#11 … Yes John, one would suspect that there would be enough [i]quid pro quo[/i] in the TAT operations to inundate any royal commission!

22. Chris

February 19, 2018 at 11:42 am

#2 … and FERGIE’S son stands and stands and stands, look over there !

23. Russell

February 19, 2018 at 10:58 am

Re #3
    Tony is absolutely correct in what he is saying, but there’s more to it.

“Any form of education to address such issues will incur huge expenditure, as it is a broad community issue, and somewhat pandemic in low socio-economic areas!”

Not really. Just ban sugar (it’s an addictive poison which is responsible for most modern illnesses, including mental) and regulate more effectively and responsibly how processed foods and what goes into them are made.

I probably spend $500 a year buying the foods (organic) I can’t grow, and then prepare/cook them (soak to activate components or break down the phytic acid, or ferment in many cases as traditional people have always done) so that they don’t lose any nutrients, minerals and vitamins – in fact they increase their nutrition and digestibility.

Regarding ““90% of mental health issues are diet and lifestyle related”? Do you have references?”

Try “Nourishing Traditions” by Sally Fallon, “What Your Doctor Didn’t Tell You About Menopause” by Drs John R Lee & Jesse Hanley, and “Sugar Blues” by William Dufty which was written back in 1975. There is a wealth of scientific information out there about sugar and processed foods written by your more ethical Doctors if you look.

If you were a member of the medical profession you would know that nutrition is now not part of the nursing curriculum and may be shocked to know that nurses give such bad advice to mothers-to-be like “drink Milo, it’s good for baby”.

Ever wondered why so many children these days have mental problems (eg: autism, ADHD, ADD, etc.) and allergy problems compared to 50 years ago?

Good nutrition and health is cheaper through prevention.

Tony is also correct in labelling “the psychiatric industry” and then there’s the “Health Industry”. Both are now there purely to make a profit. Neither actually focus on curing or preventing diseases any more, they just mask them with drugs from their real bosses the Pharmaceutical Industry. There’s too much money being made out of it.

Just ask Malcolm Turnbull and many other politicians and investors where a major portion of their money is invested.

24. abs

February 19, 2018 at 10:56 am

Tony, I agree that good diet and lifestyle contribute to good mental health, and that the pharmaceutical industry is too far entrenched, yet a lot of your statements are incorrect. BTW, Psychologists are [i]not[/i] able to prescribe medication

25. John Hawkins

February 19, 2018 at 10:30 am

The most excellent article by John Lawrence referenced above explains the core reason why SST is bankrupt and costing the Tasmanian health service $100 million a year to keep afloat.

John Lawrence –

[i]”FT under the tutelage of Evan Rolley signed the original wood supply agreement with Ta Ann in 2006 to supply 150,000 tonnes of timber per year. The government made a $2.4 million equity contribution into FT which in turn invested the amount into Ta Ann. Ta Ann in turn paid $100,000 back to FT as an option fee for a further 115,000 tonnes of peeler logs. The option was exercised and the quota increased accordingly.

“In 2013 Ta Ann was paid $26 million for surrendering 108,000 of the timber quota.

“Just to reiterate, FT made an equity contribution of $2.4 million to Ta Ann, $100,000 of which was paid back to FT for an option to secure more timber. The option was subsequently exercised, but later surrendered in exchange for government compensation of $26 million as part of the IGA process. FT wouldn’t have been able to supply the contracted timber neither sustainably nor profitably. Ta Ann were compensated for $26 million for a quota that was virtually given to them and which only ever made losses.

“In total Ta Ann has received $44 million in government hand outs. This occurred when it was part of a much larger group of companies, far bigger than FT .Yet the latter deemed it was a sound commercial arrangement to start chopping down potential higher quality sawlogs for little more than woodchip prices, depending on cartage costs, and sacrifice its future just when cash flow pressures were starting to build within FT.”[/i]

Rolley, having raped Forestry Tasmania, went on to become CEO of Ta Ann.

Surely this is, by any standards, corrupt and worthy of a Royal Commission!

Barnett canned the Agreement to protect Tasmanian forests which was the excuse for this enormous payment, and we the taxpayers never got our money back.

All this is in my submission tabled in Parliament by Andrew Wilkie.

Rolley threatened to sue me for defamation.

Guy Barnett, as Minister, is on the board of FT/SST as the people’s representative – and the SST losses have gone steadily through the roof.

This incompetent nincompoop will be elected again as a result of the gambling lobby buying the Liberal Party the election.

According to Lawrence, the poker machine owners will lose $250 million if Labor is elected in two weeks time.

So now for them it is —- Whatever it costs !!!!!!

The Liberal Party in Tasmania is now the hired gun paid for by the owners of the one-armed bandits who are plastering the State in blue.

If it was not so pathetic it would be tragic.

Only in your corrupt Tasmania.

26. Robin Charles Halton

February 19, 2018 at 9:52 am

Ted Mead, are you not muddled up with your approach to this subject by playing childish games linking forestry and public health? Make up your mind, one or the other, thanks!

The comments have swung towards health which is a real issue for many Tasmanians who in fact are seeing their taxpayer dollar literally “going up in smoke” wasted as ongoing Federal Governemnts and State Govertments play the public as fools, this is despite advances in medical treatments and widespread health brains trusts beingjust about everywhere one looks!

The rebuilding of the old Royal on its current site will remain as a permanent obstacle for time immemorial, a massive mistake politically motivated, by the Hobart City council, a Labor State Government and Hobart CBD business interests to maintain the cluttered site as the population of Greater Hobart spreads further afield.

It no wonder future planning for public Health is chaotic, politics is the root cause of bad decision making and I would expect that to remain the case throughout the term of my natural life.

I for example pose as a healthy aging person, love the outdoor stay reasonably fit, being active but inside me my system is showing signs of wear and tear, things are not always right! I fear the day when I could become a nuisance by having to use the public health system more often.

In the case of the Old Royal rebuild, it was chosen as the best option to keep CBD business alive with nothing to do with delivery of public hospital needs.

There is no doubt the north of the State has its issues too, for which I am less familiar with, the operational matters for Burnie, Latrobe and Launceston public hospitals.

With the State election looming even closer no matter who you vote for, much of the same will occur.

I strongly recommend that people err towards better living standards and health eating where possible, practice a regular activity to stay clear of a potentially ailing health systemaltogether!

27. Tony Stone

February 19, 2018 at 8:42 am

#9 … “Inexplicable incidents are not so easily rationalised as you espouse!”

Sorry Ted, but incidents of this nature are very easy to work out. There’s a thing called toxic shock which occurs when toxins in the body are suddenly released into the blood stream and instantly affect the brain, resulting in total confusion, unbelievable instant depression and complete hopelessness.

This can come about with no viewable symptoms. The patient looks and acts fine, but there’s a growing battle within as they try to overcome the deep negative thoughts constantly popping up and the struggle to contain them.

Then one day they ingest the final trigger which tips the brain’s chemical balance completely – and they are unable to cope any more. So they lose it, and if there is no one around many just can’t stop the flood of negativity, fear and doubt engulfing their minds. They look for an instant way out, and that can come in the form of drugs, or some other method, mostly fatal.

It’s very hard for these people to explain to others what is happening in their minds because the thoughts flowing through them go against everything they know and feel. This struggle gets no recognition from the industry and when mentioned the reaction is – not possible; try this drug.

When you are faced with bizarre thoughts about others which you know aren’t true, your mind can start to play weird tricks on you. When you discover what triggers those episodes you can remove them and your life starts to return to normal over time.

We need places where people can go to learn what is happening to their minds, and how to find the triggers and remove them. Then they can learn how to live properly, healthily and happily. You won’t get that result from the psychiatric industry – just more drugs and drugged hospitalisation.

28. Ted Mead

February 18, 2018 at 9:52 pm

Tony – I do share you cynicism regarding politicians and their general disinterest in health care.

Whilst many problems with human health do arrive from environmental factors around us, I do believe that the exceptions to those should be treated with the best care possible.

Read the link to Albert Cuthbertson – http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-04/albie-house-suicide-prevention-amanda-cuthbertson-hobart/8241102

Inexplicable incidents are not so easily rationalised as you espouse!

29. Ted Mead

February 18, 2018 at 9:00 pm

For those who are concerned and interested in Mental Health in Tasmania, here is an example of how slow and apathetic our governments have been to redress youth suicide in this state …

Amanda Cuthbertson lost her 16 year-old son Albert in 2010. Since then Amanda has been working endlessly to help others with the aim of preventing youth suicide. Her story and commitment is admirable and compelling …

30. Tony Stone

February 18, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Ted, you need to step outside the illusions created by the psychiatric industry and see the true reality, not their empty claims. If their approach and treatments worked, we wouldn’t be seeing the growing incidence of mental disorder.

My post represents decades long experience, being run round and drugged by psychologists, psychiatrists. Then having to battle the debilitating effects of their treatments, as well as my own problems

It also includes my personal knowledge of many others experiences within the system during that time and still today.

We also have a massive problem of opioid addiction, promoted and driven by the medical and pharmaceutical profession in their efforts to drug everyone’s symptoms, and they have no other approach. If their approach was working, mental health would be improving in society and not getting worse.

Mental health is not a complex issue; drugs don’t work, nor does hospitalisation or incarceration.

The first thing you have to do is find the triggers, but the industry never does that. Once those triggers are removed, things improve rapidly and it’s that simple for 90% of cases. What people ingest in most cases are the triggers, but for some it’s their environmental. For a lot, a combination of both.

Unless you are born with a mental problem, or acquired one from an accident, then it is diet and lifestyle which are the next logical suspect.

Along with your environment, what else is there to trigger episodes and certain environments can have an effect on our mental state?

Ted, the industry doesn’t have a clue, otherwise their methods would be working. Yet we are seeing more and more mental health issues with younger and younger people becoming prominent.

This was not the case 60 years ago. Back then mental health issues revolved round what the industry classes as those incapable of being in society safely, and/or severely mentally disabled. Very few people were in needed treatment, but it still had growing chemical problems, like Bex and Vincents.

The major changes since them have been our diets, lifestyle and environmental living standards. Our diets consisted of fresh unadulterated foods other than fish and chips which were prepared and made on the spot, and real meat hamburgers. That was it for junk food, only ever eaten once a week, if that.

Then along came chemically saturated fast food, followed by processed chemically saturated packaged foods. Then they started using chemicals to grow foods. Now the majority of meals contain some processed foods full of chemicals, or chemically saturated, supposedly fresh foods.

It’s not rocket science to follow the trail from the 1950’s to now. We went down from a mentally stable society, eating mostly fresh natural wholefoods, living in a pretty clean environment.

Now most live in highly chemically polluted, noisy saturated environment. Eat crap food constantly and mental health problems are rapidly growing, particularly in the young.

Tasmania’s youth suicide rate is related to environment, diet and lack of driven visions. All they can look forward to is leaving the state to get work, or being bogged down in some boring uninspiring business or industry. In other words, just being an economic slave.

That comes straight for the horse’s mouths. A proper education system which taught lifestyle and proper diet, along with meaningful training leading to better career choices. Would be much better than the Current – it’s one size fits all education. Which has to be PC, meaningless and repetitively restricting.

What do young people have to look forward to? We’ve stuffed the environment, poisoned the land and seas. We are more violent and warmongering than in the past and using bigger, longer reaching, more destructive weapons, and putting it all into action across the planet.

That sort of future to look forward to for a young person would certainly give them mental health issues. Nothing can change that other than a change in world direction. No hope there! Too many mentally deranged cretins running the planet and hell bent on nothing but hell ahead.

Do you really believe Ted, that any of the parties will change things for the better and not just pander to their vested interests? If I was a betting man, I”d put my money on no change – just window dressing and carry on as usual.

Mental health will just get worse, no different to the outcome of the billion or more dollars spent on the RHH, hich has been a monumental failure and solved nothing.

31. Ted Mead

February 18, 2018 at 4:32 pm

#5 … Tony – Where did you get your figure of “90% of mental health issues are diet and lifestyle related” ? Do you have references? What are your professional sources for this? You are obviously not in the Mental Health Profession!

Mental health is a broad debilitating illness though having a poor diet or lifestyle, and being subject to substance abuses can be a significant contributor.

There is unquestionably a need for a Mental Health Clinic outside the sterile enclosure of the RHH. Such a centre is imperative for rehabilitation.

Currently there is a group of medical professionals working on establishing a Mental Health Recovery Centre in Hobart that is intended to be detached from the RHH. I was present at a preliminary meeting about this recently.

“Poor mental health is a very simple thing to overcome unless you are born with the problem and even then, a proper approach to diet and life can make all the difference”.

OMG! – Where in hell did you find that myopic statement? What are your references?

Poor Mental Health is a highly complex issue, particularly with adolescents who are subject to extreme hormonal growth activity which can be influenced or exacerbated by social issues, lifestyles and living environments.

Tasmania has the highest youth suicide rate in the country! Lack of professional medical care is probably the main contributor to that statistic!

32. Tony Stone

February 18, 2018 at 12:59 pm

#3 … “What about mental health?”

Ted, about 90% of mental health is diet and lifestyle related, the rest is normally genetic or trauma induced.

Our minds work on electrical current and chemical balance in the brain, but when you alter those balances problems arise. The foods of today are unbelievably saturated with chemicals, hence the rise in mental illness.

The current approach is to dull the senses in the hope the problems will be diminished to a controllable state. We know drugs make things worse and worse, leading in the end to worsening conditions and finally to violent destructive outbursts or suicide attempts.

Patients become addicted, the chemical in the drug create even more imbalance and confusion, so negative thoughts and biological unease take over.

We don’t need hospital beds for those suffering mental problems: we need places where they can be weaned off their drugs and diets. There, they can be re-educated into having diets and lifestyles which boost the proper chemical balance in their brain.

We need quiet natural rural places for the mentally ill to recover and be educated into looking after themselves, not morbid drug and chemical riddled hospitals where no one feels comfortable or able to relax.

Costs can be reduced by those attending through not only learning about diet and lifestyle, but by working with others to provide foods and commodities for their facility and the general community.

Things like gardening, proper animal husbandry and care, disability and carer dog training are all things which calm people and give them a chance to see beyond the raging chemical drama within themselves, thereby putting their minds to more pleasant healing thoughts and actions.

Poor mental health is a very simple thing to overcome unless you are born with the problem and even then, a proper approach to diet and life can make all the difference.

As for forestry, it’s a necessity. We use wood products so we need an approach which utilitises the best wood we can grow., but not wood chips which are a complete waste of resources in every way and a totally insane approach.

Our forests should be balances of natural growth, strategically interspersed with fire-reducing high value adding timber. These should surround communities and within state and national parks so any fires can be controlled easier.

This would reduce damage to world heritage areas and protect towns and communities. It would provide a never-ending stream of valuable timber to be value-added into fine products before export.

Wood chips are used for paper and fibre board making, but we could use hemp for that and get a number of other valuable resources from that plant including healing oil, ropes, paper, flours and clothing materials.

33. TGC

February 18, 2018 at 12:34 pm

But there is hope – an incoming White Labor Government has pledged a total reform of both health and education and is prepared to pour tens of million of dollars into both – that will mean an educated approach to health matters – assisting against future costs – whilst meeting most of the current demands for surgery and other health matters?

Labor has an experienced team to offer with all members having practcal knowledge in health and education – so what can Tasmania possibly lose by electibng Bec’s team?

34. Ted Mead

February 18, 2018 at 12:03 pm

#1 – Tony – “You can throw a billion dollars into the health system in Tas and it will make no difference whatsoever other than by adding more costs.” – What would be these added costs be?

You say – “Health can be fixed with education, with medical centres concentrating on diet and lifestyle to prevent and fix 90% of health problems”. Any form of education to address such issues will incur huge expenditure, as it is a broad community issue, and somewhat pandemic in low socio-economic areas!

What about mental health? – The Liberal government has squeezed mental health almost to nothing. The best they could do was remove another 10 beds from the RHH ward and placed them into the Emergency Unit, and even sent some outpatients into hotels overnight unsupervised. As a process there has been a suicide within the Emergency Unit.

Maybe you are unaware that there is no mental health adolescent unit in Tasmania. All other states have one! – Even if you have private medical health insurance, the Hobart Private Hospital won’t accept an adolescent under the age of 18 years. The only alternative is to take an adolescent to a clinic on the mainland for treatment.

As for a native Forestry industry in Tasmania, it’s a lost cause! – Mega millions of taxpayers money squandered, over-cutting, blatant malpractice, specialty timber waste and ongoing unsustainable “world’s worst practice” has seen the premature end of what could have been a valuable asset to the state!

Who benefited from all that woodchip plundering? – Not Tasmanians. Ask Gunns shareholders!

35. Keith Antonysen

February 18, 2018 at 10:52 am

Many times Minister Ferguson has contradicted health professionals in relation to health care in Tasmania. The question is: who do you believe – a politician, or people working at the coal face who possess a code of ethics?

36. Tony Stone

February 18, 2018 at 10:28 am

I’m mystified as to how people think more money will fix a health system, one that can never be fixed with the current approach.

The only way to fix the health system is to change it to a preventive and curative system, not a symptomatic-suppressing drug and surgical system.

No different to forestry, we can have the best value-added forestry in the world if we approached it in the right way.

No need for more money, just better practise which would include strategic fire-mitigation plantations. These plantations would be fire resistant high quality timber, protecting communities round the state.

Health can be fixed with education, with medical centres concentrating on diet and lifestyle to prevent and fix 90% of health problems. Currently all health centers do is prescribe drugs or refer to surgeons, which doesn’t fix things, so just cut the effected area out and hope the real problem will go away.

Then we would not need any more money for health or forestry, and probably much less over time.