The biggest roller derby tournament in the Southern Hemisphere has just wrapped up in Adelaide and the Hobart based Convict City Rollers are flying home bronze place winners.

The Great Southern Slam is a 3-day bi-annual event which sees 48 teams from Australia and New Zealand compete to be crowned Pacific Champions. The Convict City Rollers are a roller derby club based in Hobart.  This was the club’s 4th time competing in the event and the first time they have progressed through the first round games.

“We have been training as a team for 6 months in preparation for this event.  It has been a pretty tough journey physically and financially, but it was our goal to progress to the finals this year and we are so happy with what we achieved.” said Captains, Rebecca Taylor and Chantelle Reid. 

“Two weeks out from the event we checked the predictions for the tournament and we were given a 2% chance of winning our first game against Auckland and a 98% chance of being knocked out in the first round. That was pretty tough to hear but it also made us more determined to find a way to win.” says Taylor.

And win they did.  The Convicts won 4 of their 5 games beating Auckland, Adelaide and Newcastle along the way. The win against Auckland was the biggest upset of the week in roller derby across the world.  The Convicts are now ranked number 11 in Australia and 13 in the Pacific (of more than 200 teams).