"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. No price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Peter Fleming* Pic: St James, Montague Bay
16.08.18 5:30 am
… This put St James in a very healthy financial position, also one of the long-term church members had passed away and left a generous bequest to the church. All up, using the reserve bank’s calculation tables, in today`s values the money was in the area of $100,000. Unfortunately for St James the financial position at St Aidans was rather bad and without the consent of any of the committee or indeed the treasurer, somehow the money was removed from the control of St James and has effectively disappeared. Since then St James has been the poor cousin of St Aidans with the entire collection going to St Aidans and very little being returned despite parishioner numbers steadily increasing …
The Hag* Pic: of Matthew Groom from his then website ...
16.08.18 5:20 am
The Hag has some news to report ... it seems former Minister for Energy Matthew Groom - who quit the government before the election and oversaw the disastrous and very costly Basslink failure which led to the importation of some 40 diesel generators - has a five-year sojourn on the Administrative Appeals Tribunal ...
Download the ABC report ...
The Hag*. Pic: of Anna, right, at her launch ...
16.08.18 5:15 am
So, why is Anna Reynolds running as Independent for Mayor ... rather than a Green?
Scott Heares* Pic: of Rufus Black
16.08.18 5:09 am
Hi Mr Abetz* ... I’m sure you will have plenty to say about this, how dare Ms Willsmore ignore a request by your esteemed colleague the Attorney-General Ms Archer. I also have some more bad news for you concerning Mr Bingham* the Integrity Commissioner, he told me he didn’t have the power to investigate the extraordinary prices, involving $15 million, paid by UTas for CBD properties …
Tony Orman* Pic*
16.08.18 5:00 am
New Zealand’s world famous trout fishery is at the crossroads. The warning comes from a noted American fly fisherman Howard West, just turned 71, who has made regular visits to New Zealand to fish its crystal clear streams and catch big trout. But now he says the Kiwi trout fishery is at a dangerously critical stage …
Elizabeth Fleetwood* Pic*
15.08.18 1:02 pm
I find Fraser Anning’s comments re banning Muslims from Australia, and the implied intolerance driving them, most distasteful. But even more so, I find his ignorance frightening …
15.08.18 5:45 am
The Silent Majority. I have always found these silent sounds quite elusive; from the deafening sounds of foreign policy to the environmental chants, the social policy swing and now the planning polka …
15.08.18 5:30 am
Senator Erich Abetz and a Launceston to Hobart Chartered Flight. Why? Answer the question: As a Minister of the Crown, why was it required of you to charter a flight from Launceston to Hobart on the 8th August 2014 at a cost of some $1,850 ... ?
14.08.18 12:30 pm
The Hag doesn’t like the cable car. It would immensely spoil what remains of the ambience of Hobbit, she says ...
Peter Henning. Pic*
14.08.18 6:15 am
Reefgate should be Malcolm Turnbull’s Watergate, but probably won’t be …
Bob Phelps, Gene Ethics News Media Release
14.08.18 6:00 am
A California jury has awarded school groundsman Dewayne Johnson $289 million for his terminal non-Hodgkins lymphoma. The jury found, on all the scientific evidence uncovered during the month-long trial that his exposure to Roundup weedkiller caused Mr Johnson’s cancer. The Johnson judgement raises thorny questions for Australians too,” says Gene Ethics Director, Bob Phelps …
• Anthony Amis: Friends of the Earth reaction to Glysophate court case Friends of the Earth Australia today welcomed a decision in the Supreme Court of California to award school groundskeeper Dewayne Johnson US$289million in damages after Johnson took legal action against pesticide company Monsanto. Johnson was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2014. His lawyers argued that Johnson’s regular use of Glyphosate, which he used up to 30 times a year in his work, caused the disease. Monsanto is facing 5,000 similar lawsuits across the United States. The jury in the Johnson case deliberated for 3 days before deciding the verdict …
14.08.18 5:53 am
As a special guest of dishonour, the Hag attended the Private Forestry Tasmania forum last week at the ‘main bar’ at the Hobart Showgrounds. With the vibe of half Gothic hipster mock-but-real 1980s hostelry, half abandoned low-rent truck-stop, 40 or so grizzled, hard-bitten and wary foresters gathered to discuss one thing: How the fuck to make cash out of trees these days …
John Hawkins* Pic*
14.08.18 5:45 am
I have started to notice on my property here at Bentley in northern Tasmania a large number of dead trees having the sap running out of the trunks like blood from a wound and then turning the bark ginger in colour …
14.08.18 5:15 am
Women Speak Tasmania is calling for uniform changes to federal and state anti-discrimination laws …
Kelvin Jones* Pic*
13.08.18 8:55 am
An inconvenient truth Part Three The balance of probability ... ?
Urban Wronksi (aka David Tyler*) Pic*
13.08.18 7:36 am
“Our efforts to deal with climate change have been betrayed by a lack of leadership, a political cowardice, the like of which I have never seen” — Malcolm Turnbull 2010
• Guardian: Great Barrier Reef Foundation not aware of ‘due diligence’ for $444m grant Foundation’s managing director appears to contradict Frydenberg’s assurance that ‘extensive due diligence’ took place …
13.08.18 7:15 am
The National Australia Bank fights dirty. So does its lawyers …
East Coast Alliance Media Release
13.08.18 7:07 am
1.10pm sharp to 2pm Tuesday 21 August 2018: Hobart Town Hall, 50 Macquarie Street
Vica Bayley, Campaign Manager, The Wilderness Society Media Release. Pic: Eric Wohler
13.08.18 7:00 am
A proposed dam that would suppy fresh water to treat gill disease in Tassal’s controversial Okehamption Bay fish farm will destroy critical habitat for the swift parrot, acknowledged by the proponent and experts as a ‘significant impact’ under federal law …
Rebecca White MP, Labor Leader Ella Haddad MP, Shadow Attorney General Media Release. Pic*
13.08.18 6:45 am
Labor will formally request Premier Hodgman stage a Ministerial Code of Conduct investigation into Health Minister Michael Ferguson over his role in the Cricket Australia scandal …
• Crikey: Health Minister implicated in Cricket Australia sacking has pro-life history Tasmanian Health Minister Michael Ferguson has been fighting against abortion in the Apple Isle for years.
• Jess Greene, candidate for West Tamar Council
• More Union stunts
• Special Council meeting
• Health authorities siphoned hundreds of thousands in cash and gifts, CCC probe finds
• Tasmania has the highest unemployment and lowest wages
• Let’s fly all our national flags in Parliament
• Snow predicted for 400 metres in Tasmania this weekend
• Eighteen days on and still no answers from Michael Ferguson
• Outcome of Police Referral
• Let’s work together to implement real organised crime laws
• Tax Commissioner seeks to conceal financial sector illegal conduct
• Government inaction on short stay contributing to housing crisis
• Wages rising in Tasmania
• Bipartisan cruelty toward people seeking asylum seekers continues
• Guardian Oz: Fraser Anning told to ‘say something really controversial’ or be forgotten
• Fixed-wireless NBN customers to pay more under Turnbull
• Catholic Super shamed by manager’s $2 million of secret deals
• Letter to the Editor on Fish Farms ...
• Crikey Worm: Fire ban record ...
• As Australia Faces Worst Drought in Half a Century, Over 87K Demand Asahi Stop Bottling Vic Water
• The Briefing ... Senate votes down euthanasia bill
#23 ... My family has been on this island since 1804 and I don’t think any of them have subscribed to “the Australian…